• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What HD degreaser do you use?

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
I purchased five in total of the Landa machines for the shops. Good support in those days and was friends with a guy when starting an industrial supplies distributorship. I found 4gpm, and 2000psi is a very good balance that doesn't wear the operator out and offers a good service life. 3000psi and above in an auto body shop type atmosphere was too easy to cut into plastic parts and took a lot out of the guy pushing the pressure gun. Even still 2000psi is too much in the retail car wash operations.....

If you have a PWHS series of machine the pressure reducing valve is just inside and opposite the burner motor. Never have had any problems with mine with either clogging, or burner. I always allow coil cooldown after use by running cold water through for a couple of minutes and run caustic soda through the coil every fall circulated through my aqueous parts washer cabinet. Degreasing larger equipment and such outside I tend to use the chemical injector and the caustic allowing it to dwell then rinsing hot as it speeds drying and lessens flash rusting.

Diesel fuel put through a bug sprayer put directly where you want to clean works pretty well also. So does oven cleaner which is basically caustic soda with a thickener.

Roadoil

I purchased five in total of the Landa machines for the shops. Good support in those days and was friends with a guy when starting an industrial supplies distributorship. I found 4gpm, and 2000psi is a very good balance that doesn't wear the operator out and offers a good service life. 3000psi and above in an auto body shop type atmosphere was too easy to cut into plastic parts and took a lot out of the guy pushing the pressure gun. Even still 2000psi is too much in the retail car wash operations.....

If you have a PWHS series of machine the pressure reducing valve is just inside and opposite the burner motor. Never have had any problems with mine with either clogging, or burner. I always allow coil cooldown after use by running cold water through for a couple of minutes and run caustic soda through the coil every fall circulated through my aqueous parts washer cabinet. Degreasing larger equipment and such outside I tend to use the chemical injector and the caustic allowing it to dwell then rinsing hot as it speeds drying and lessens flash rusting.

Diesel fuel put through a bug sprayer put directly where you want to clean works pretty well also. So does oven cleaner which is basically caustic soda with a thickener.
Yeah that's what PWHS I have from an auto body shop actually with a 4000psi 4.2 gpm Landa pump. Yeah it can damage paint if you get too close.

I always let it cool after using the heat.

Never tried running caustic soda in it I'll give it a shot.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
Yeah that's what PWHS I have from an auto body shop actually with a 4000psi 4.2 gpm Landa pump. Yeah it can damage paint if you get too close.

I always let it cool after using the heat.

Never tried running caustic soda in it I'll give it a shot.
That washer should have a General tri plex plunger pump and 6hp Baldor electric motor. The best there was IMO.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
So far, as popularity goes, When I was working for a chemical distributor, Super Clean was the sales leader in our territory. Drums and totes. Decent product & pricing.

Walmart is the largest distributor of Super Clean selling most of it in retail packaging.

Tyler d4c

Purple zep from tractor supply 50 bucks for 5 gallon works wanders it will dull paint beware full if that's a concern.

Tugger2

It seems theres a lot of good ways to get the greasy muck off our machines . I use my Hotsy and that purple degreaser sometimes.
When it comes to the run off does anyone have any simple ideas to contain and maybe treat any of it? I dont have a wash bay with drainage and settling pit but my yard drains into a couple of catch basins i fabbed out of 18" pipe and a 3 chamber oil separator tank then off to the roadside drainage ditch. I spread a big chunk of filter cloth under the machine before i start which catches lumps of grease dirt and paint chunks . Even this seems overkill to a guy who came from days when out waste oil was saving for the summer to spread on roads as dust control,but things are getting fussy in todays world.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Yeah, it’s getting very difficult to wash in some jurisdictions. In Bethel, we have to wash in a containment boom. Then, let the water eventually evaporate. Shovel the debris into the dumpster. Thus, not much washing gets done. In a certain Idaho City, private industry can’t wash without a reclamation system in place. But, the State IDDoT and university can storm drain it.

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
Unfortunately when there's a lot of caked on/dried gunk there's no avoidance of mechanical cleaning, scraping, scrubbing, chiseling.

I haven't found one that lasts. Probably ok with the home jobber 120v units though.
They're a consumable if you do any serious washing. One thing that we found helps the life of em is purge the air out of hoses and guns, especially on longer hose runs then put the turbo on.

treemuncher

Occupation
eatin' trees, poopin' chips
I read somewhere here on the forum about Citrol by Schaeffer Manufacturing. It's expensive but it is my "go-to" when I need to get something really clean. I only purchase this by the gallon, not the aerosol can.

My primary cheap stuff is usually Sams Club degreaser. Nothing works really well unless you have hot-hot water or steam.