• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What HD degreaser do you use?

fastline

We have a local company that formulates and retails everything from grease and oil to aerosol lube. They offer a degreaser that is an industrial soap, but can be mixed in a ratio with diesel for extra hit. It worked really well but we are rarely over that way and I remember it was pretty expensive at retail. I was just curious if you guys have found much that does well without extreme pressure washing? I don't like pushing water into everything so we usually use just a residential type washer.. Well, I think we have a 5ksi gasser but that's it.

Like to find more available products if they are out there.

Welder Dave

If it has diesel in it, you need to be sure you can collect it all. You can just let it run down the drain.

Roadoil

Make my own Gunk which is brake clean, paraffin or jet fuel and diesel.

The water based concentrates can cause damage to certain metals stainless whatever if left on and they don't work nearly as well.

BzDrifter

Purple Blaster is the preferred degreaser in my area. And it’s a lot more effective mixed with water than pure.

Roadoil

Diesel bad choice. Kerosene better.

An interesting cleaner is LA's totally awesome.
Gunk has diesel in it a small amount maybe 5% and kerosene which is jet fuel or parrafin another small about.

The major ingredient is brake clean.

So it's not like using full diesel it just helps as a surfactant vs the dry brake clean.

Gunk is the best cleaner i have used so made a similar version of it because it's expensive never had any luck with the purple power concentrate or other water based cleaners and they attack metals.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
Caustic soda hot through my pressure washer. Works great. Wear glasses and a rubber suit in the driveway.

I have a chemical injector and have calibrated it to the % concentration desired so only clean water going through the pump and coil.

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
Zep orange degreaser, doesn't hurt aluminum bits like purple and works great at full strength for removing carbon buildup from egr valves and similar parts.

A turbo nozzle sized for the pressure washer you're using really improves things too, hot or cold.

Welder Dave

Curious if a wet sandblaster with a pressure washer would be good for stripping paint off equipment? Can you add something to the water to prevent rusting? I gravity feed my pressure washer from a water truck so it's easy to add soap or something else.

1693TA

Occupation
Curious if a wet sandblaster with a pressure washer would be good for stripping paint off equipment? Can you add something to the water to prevent rusting? I gravity feed my pressure washer from a water truck so it's easy to add soap or something else.
I have one of those attachments and it does work but not really fast. No warpage I've noticed on blasted sheet metal, but unless you have a 3500psi washer it will take a long time to get much done.

Roadoil

Yes they make a product called hold tite it's a concentrate to stop flash rust. I have also read but never tried citric acid as a flash rust inhibitor.

I have a vapor blaster it's a Geoblaster 400 same as the new Ecoquip Elite.

It's better than a dustless blaster different design the tank is pressurized with a pump vs the DB. I run it off a 750 compressor bought it for the used equipment I get at auction for myself and it's very messy to run you get soaked. It does work am using garnet but it's a lot of work and not that fast

A pressure washer with media injection would work but take forever would be good for blasting small parts.

fastline

I ended up just trying some of that citrus HD degreaser by ZEP. I probably could have pizzed on it and got more grease off. 100% worthless but I just didn't want to damage anything just yet with cleaners. i really think I just need to get a Hotsie. let the heat do more work than pressure. I'm not a guy that wants to try to use 20ksi in a pressure washer.

But at least I can find the machine now...

IceHole

Zep orange degreaser, doesn't hurt aluminum bits like purple and works great at full strength for removing carbon buildup from egr valves and similar parts.

A turbo nozzle sized for the pressure washer you're using really improves things too, hot or cold.
I haven't found one that lasts. Probably ok with the home jobber 120v units though.

Roadoil

I have a Landa Hot washer they are a pain in the ass like a Hotsy but super hot water is the only thing that melts off old grease and oil. Sometimes a Gunk type degreaser helps it also and is needed.

Like I mentioned I make my own have tried every type of water based degreasers concentrates from Walmart, Sams Club parts stores citrus ones whatever they evaporate too quick vs the Gunk that soaks the grease oil doesn't evaporate as easy why it works better needs to soak

1693TA

Occupation
I have a Landa Hot washer they are a pain in the ass like a Hotsy but super hot water is the only thing that melts off old grease and oil. Sometimes a Gunk type degreaser helps it also and is needed.

Like I mentioned I make my own have tried every type of water based degreasers concentrates from Walmart, Sams Club parts stores citrus ones whatever they evaporate too quick vs the Gunk that soaks the grease oil doesn't evaporate as easy why it works better needs to soak
Mine too is a Landa. Diesel fired and works very well. Many don't realize how much better very hot water works. Some times I cut the water flow back and allow the washer to make steam and then get the area hot followed with the high pressure hot water and the grease will go away. This is usually the case with trucks, or equipment that has been greased but not washed over several years. The old grease and caked dirt is like a brick that has been glued on.

I've had several of those turbo nozzles and they do well but as mentioned don't hold up very long.

Roadoil

Mine too is a Landa. Diesel fired and works very well. Many don't realize how much better very hot water works. Some times I cut the water flow back and allow the washer to make steam and then get the area hot followed with the high pressure hot water and the grease will go away. This is usually the case with trucks, or equipment that has been greased but not washed over several years. The old grease and caked dirt is like a brick that has been glued on.

I've had several of those turbo nozzles and they do well but as mentioned don't hold up very long.
The turbo nozzles work good but can't handle very hot water ceramic bearing.

I bought a AR Annarovi I think turbo nozzle more expensive don't use it with hot water and it's lasted a long time vs the cheaper ones at Home Depot Walmart.

Mines an older Landa 3500 psi issues I have gotta bleed burner pump after it's been sitting and get debris in the nozzle tips plugging up.

I have heard that you can back off unloader pressure valve and use as steam cleaner tried it but get clogged tips as the temp is all over in mine gets very hot maybe I need to use a soap tip or something.