• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What happens when you don't grease?

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
As if anybody here didn't already know this, here's an example of what happens when you don't use the grease gun. JLG 80HX boom lift, steering pivot pin, pin siezed in brass bushing in the axle housing that it's supposed to pivot in. Instead, it rips out the pin retainer bolts underneath and causes pivot action to happen in the motor housing, where it's not supposed to pivot. Tried a little bit of heating with rosebud, unh unh, that pin is stuck! Now I ain't about to spend a half a day and empty the tanks of my gas axe trying to fight that pin out, nope, I'm going to cut the pin in half. Get out the Jancy Slugger drill. Annular cutter bits are so sweet to work with. These things chew through steel like it's wood, and leave a true/clean hole.

Paul 4-09 001.jpg

Paul 4-09 002.jpg

Paul 4-09 003.jpg

Chewing through that pin like it ain't nothin'

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
First hole down

Paul 4-09 004.jpg

Move to opposite side, second hole done

Paul 4-09 005.jpg

Move to center grease hole, change to 9/16" slugger bit, finish it off, pin sliced in half

Paul 4-09 006.jpg

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
This allowed the pin to collapse and I could knock it out with a ball peen hammer. Whole process less than 30 minutes

Paul 4-09 007.jpg

Hmmm, a little wear where it was pivoting in the motor housing hole

Paul 4-09 008.jpg

Hole in motor housing ain't much better

Paul 4-09 009.jpg

Well, got some machine work to do...all from not using a grease gun.

D5G

can't get that terrible green color un etched from my brain, and need I say more about a rental unit?

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Rule #1 - Never, EVER purchase rental fleet liquidation iron. :D

Generally, yes. This one I checked out. It was re-man'ed by JLG in '04. Overall machine in very good condition. Critical components like boom and slew ring are tight, motor is very good, got like 1,400 hrs on it. This was the worst problem I found on the machine. Other than this, just minor little things. Besides, in this economy...I need something to do anyway! :D

Dualie

Ah a perfect job for a thermal lance. Just bore a hole strait down through the middle.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Impressive.It is nice to have the right tools to work with.I learned something today,I never saw a bit like that.Thanks,Ron G

lynger

lol what did we just say about rental equipment in the bobcat thread....I haven't seen that happen yet....thank god. Nice job getting it out!!

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Ah a perfect job for a thermal lance. Just bore a hole strait down through the middle.

Hey Dualie, I'd like to try one of those things, don't know much about them. I've had to deal with a number of stuck pins through the years. How deep can they punch a hole? How would they react to the grease in the grease hole in the center of the pin? :)

D5G

I see you added a few more pics, Atco..nice job!:drinkup This thread is becomming very informative.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Impressive.It is nice to have the right tools to work with.I learned something today,I never saw a bit like that.Thanks,Ron G

Howdy Ron :drinkup Yeah, those bits are cool tools. The annular cutter bit is a steel eating beast. I use the Jancy drill with their "Slugger" bits. These things are incredibly sharp, don't need any kind of pilot hole regardless of size, and drill holes as clean and true as you can get aside from an end mill. They are expensive, though. But if you take care of them, keep coolant/lube on them during use, they give excellent and long service. And, I have a local machinest that has the equipment to sharpen them when they get dull. ;)

LBTCon

Thats the worst thing you found on that machine? It must be new to S*nb*lt, they have the in the rental world. It really me when they bought Nations Rent. We dont call them for nothing.

Last edited:

D5G

LBTCon, just a warning since you are new. You might get a talking to from one of the mods about your sunbelt comment, this forum is very even and strict with their rules about bashing a company or brand.

bill5362

Occupation
I own a excavation company and a rolloff container
ATCO nice work with you annular cutter we use ours often, we even have a smaller set that you can use in a regular drill it has a spring loaded centering bit that will cut thru 1/4" like butter. At least you didn't have to break out the thermal lance and burn it out.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Thats the worst thing you found on that machine? It must be new to Sunbelt, they have the worst junk in the rental world. It really pissed me off when they bought Nations Rent. We dont call them Sh*tbelt for nothing.

No, really guys, don't be so surprized. This one is a decent machine. Yes, I have seen plenty of "junk" from all rental fleets, including Sunbelt, as well as from contractors fleets; stupid, careless, could care less operators are not limited to nor specific to any one organiztion. I am a JLG certified tech and I have checked out this rig, it's in good condition, for real! Anyway, I didn't intend this to be about the green paint, it just happens to be that (poor thing), I posted this to help brother mechanics with just another technique to perform the tasks that we do everyday and I'm interested in learning other's techniques as well. ;)

LBTCon

Atcoequip that is some good work. It is neat to learn the little tricks to fixing stuff. It seams that your shop works on about everything. What type of dealer are they?

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Atcoequip that is some good work. It is neat to learn the little tricks to fixing stuff. It seams that your shop works on about everything. What type of dealer are they?

We're an independent used equipment dealer and repair shop. It wouldn't be prudent for me to expound beyond that limited description as I hold high respect to the forums advertising policy. I'm not here to sell, just to help my brothers with grease under the fingernails, and learn a little something myself from others. ;)