• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What Grader Make Is This?

Hartman-52

I have been searching the internet trying to identify this brand of grader but can't find another one that looks like it for identification. Can someone please identify what make/manufacturer and possible model this grader might be. I think it has a diesel engine. Any idea of the approximate year and value?

Grader.jpg

Attachments

• Grader.jpg
    Grader.jpg
    377.1 KB · Views: 12

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Sorry I can't help you.

Very straight machine!!!! If you buy it and get it going post a thread!!!!

mitch504

It looks like an Austin Western, except that it is two wheel drive.
If it is an A-W, it's very old. I'd love to get a better look at it. Maybe post some pics of the circle, the grill, and the transmission area.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
Since it is in Canada, "Champion" comes to mind. Although I have never seen a Champion exactly like this. Just a guess.

Hartman-52

The identification of the mystery grader has been solved. I was finally able to track down the owner and he told me it was made by Motor Coach Industries who may be the same company currently still in business and are a major highway and city transit bus manufacturer located in Winnipeg, Canada. I can't find any internet literature on this yet but that would explain why the grader was so hard to identify. It is apparently a 1960's vintage and is in great shape with full hydraulics, tilting front wheels, power circle and power steering. It has an IH gas starting diesel engine believed to be a WD6 tractor engine. Any major concerns with this motor besides proper shutdown procedures I've been reading about? I can get this grader for a very good price so I think I am going to snap it up. Thank you to all who tried to help me solve this mystery. I will post additional pics and info when I go to see it in the next few days.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
I'm excited about it for you!!!! You gotta update this thread if you get it bought. And then of course action pics/videos when you get it going. Good find!!!!

Hartman-52

Thank you ovrszd I'm pretty excited about it to. Going to see it tomorrow and likely close the deal. I'll take lots of pics it looks in great condition. Too bad winter is here so I won't be able to work on it until spring. I just sold my diesel skid steer so this will be a fun project.

Graderfan1981

have never heard from the manufacturer Motor Coach Industries, i wish you good luck with the grader and i have interest on more pictures soon :)

Hartman-52

Grader 1.jpg 20171102_151700.jpg 20171102_151525.jpg 20171102_145954.jpg Grader 1.jpg 20171102_151700.jpg 20171102_151525.jpg 20171102_145954.jpg
have never heard from the manufacturer Motor Coach Industries, i wish you good luck with the grader and i have interest on more pictures soon :)

Thank you for your interest! I ended up purchasing the grader for a very reasonable price. That machined is built like a tank with heavy plate steel beam and support structures everywhere. Having being built in 1954 it is in remarkable condition so it should be an easy resto. Since it is winter here now, I have left it at the farmers place a few miles from where I live until springtime. The grader is built by Motor Coach Industries in Winnipeg where I live close by. I cannot find any info for it online but since my serial number is 134 they must have built at least that many. I should also post this unique grader on the bauforum.com but it's in German so not sure how to register.

The engine is an International Harvester WD-9 gas starting diesel commonly used on their tractors of that era. On one side you can see the magneto, spark plug wires and an up draft carburetor. On the other side of the engine you see the fuel injection pump and injectors. There is a lever in the cab for the gas to diesel change over that you push down on and it decompresses the engine and turns on the gas system. This hybrid engine starts on gas with the spark plugs. Once it is running and had a chance to warm up a little bit, you switch in the cab and the engine closes off valve off isolating the spark plugs and increasing the compression ratio, and you open the diesel throttle (on the injector pump) at the same time. If the engine is warm enough enough, it will catch on diesel, and then operates as a normal diesel engine.

The grader has full hydraulics with a manual circle. I would like to add power steering and thinking of either using a hydraulic ram or orbital valve steering. Any advice and especially pictures of a similar grader steering conversion to power steering would be appreciated. Here are some pics of my new toy.

Reactions: DB2

Hartman-52

A few more pics.

Attachments

• 20171102_150139.jpg
    20171102_150139.jpg
    7.2 MB · Views: 84
  • 20171102_150915.jpg
    20171102_150915.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 84
  • 20171102_152218.jpg
    20171102_152218.jpg
    8.5 MB · Views: 83

Hartman-52

A few more pics.

Attachments

• 20171102_150736.jpg
    20171102_150736.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 70
  • 20171102_151408.jpg
    20171102_151408.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 67
  • 20171102_151656.jpg
    20171102_151656.jpg
    8.2 MB · Views: 66

Graderfan1981

Thanks for your interesting detail pictures from the grader, very interesting one :) Can i use some of photos for the facebook group about graders? i write down your user name and forums name from here.

Hartman-52

Yes by all means please post the pics on the grader Facebook page. It is a very unique machine and built by a very famous motor coach building company still making buses today in Winnioeg. This a llittle background info........

"In the midst of World War II, Motor Coach Industries (MCI) utilized its entire production capacity 24 hours a day to support the war effort by building Jeep trailers, boat trailers for rescue craft, army truck bodies, pontoon bridge sections, and reconditioned aircraft pontoons.

In 1942, MCI built and designed the first electric trolley bus manufactured in Canada. Model 1532 remained in active service for 25 years.

After the war, coach manufacturing resumed, and the company diversified into producing road construction and maintenance equipment, such as road graders and trailers.

During this decade, MCI continued to expand. National Products, a subsidiary, manufactured and sold pole line hardware for the Prairie Provinces rural electrification program. National Porcelain, a sister company in Medicine Hat, Alberta, manufactured porcelain insulators to complement the pole line hardware items.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Awesome update with pictures!!!!!

I look forward to a video of the machine in operation, especially details regarding the engine switch over system!!!

Hartman-52

It is an IH gas starting engine then diesel running after it warms up a little. It is a model WD-9 engine.

mitch504

Wasn't a bad system at all unless your operators were stupid. I used to go the dirt pit first thing every morning to start the dozer and leave it idling. That way if a truck got stuck, another driver could pull him out.

Graderfan1981

Yes by all means please post the pics on the grader Facebook page. It is a very unique machine and built by a very famous motor coach building company still making buses today in Winnioeg. This a llittle background info........
Thanks so much, that i can use it, i think i will do it next days and thanks for your information about the manufacturer :)