• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What do you like/dislike in a Equipment Salesman?

buddy605

Occupation
Engineering tech/ survey
Don't you guys love the salesmen that show up and all they know about is what is in some company web site or book. Cat is not always the best, there are good and bad with them all, acknoledge that. Had one show up and tell me my bobcat was a piece of crap compared to a cat. Why did you buy that he seemed to forget all the trouble we had before.

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
Salesman

Hello All,

I am new to the forum. Great forum by the way.
Over the past 2 years I have been a heavy equipment Salesman. My question is, what do you guys expect in the salesman? Honesty, experience, expertise,knowledge, etc. Lay it on me. I am trying to find out what I can do to help my customers.

Thank you,

Iron Slinger

Im not the best one to ask this question, but you asked. I bought a 2006Fecon FTX90L mulching machine, with 350 hrs and 100 hrs on a new Deutz engine install. I got a written engine warranty, until 08-11-08. Engine went bad a month ago and now the dealer says, I made a mistake on giving a warranty, bottom line, the lawyer just wrote him a nasty letter.
I guess honesty is the best thing, and checking in with the customer after the sale. If he has problems, help him resolve it. A salesman, must have a good reputation, or he is not going to make much money. A friend of mine bought a new Cat machine and it had problems and the salesman got him a loaner, so he could get back to work. That was over and above the call of duty, BUT its something he should have done. What some sales people, forget after the sale is, that most of us have to borrow money and make the payments and without the machine working its hard to make payments.
No high pressure tactics, No phone calls trying to pressure us into buying something. I made the Big mistake a few years ago, I went to a car dealer and asked for price on a truck, I was real interested in that truck, or I wouldnt have done all the crap they wanted. After answering about 20 questions, I found out the price, then I walked out, then the weekly phone calls. I finally had to get rude, so they wouldnt call anymore.
Sales is a bad job, been there, done that. My brother has been in the car dealer buiness for 30 years and he presses his people to press the customer. I guess that is business
Just my 2 cents worth

Dualie

great point made above. Don't forget about me after the sale. I buy ALL of my new pickups from ONE salesman because of that.

I had some problems with the transmission on my 94 with less than 3000 miles on it.

salesman calls me about a month after I bought it and ask me how she's doing. I tell him to go out side and take a look at her and let me know. He questions me and I tell him in was in the shop and had been for a week and it looks like they didn't even look at it yet.

well 8 am the next day he PERSONALLY delivers my repaired truck washed and detailed on the house. Tells me that he told the service department that wasn't right and had them install a transmission that was going to go into a power company truck in mine that day.

Skip recently retired. I'm sad to see him go. I ended up buying 8 trucks from him over the years.