• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What do you guys think of the price for this Case 855D?

Delmer

That's funny. He's getting closer on the price.

Look at everything in the other post. At least you're going to look at it. If you don't know what you're doing, find or hire somebody that knows crawler loaders, even better if they know similar Case's, if you can't find somebody that knows Case crawlers then a well seasoned operator who knows equipment in general would still be worth the second opinion, even if it's just another set of eyeballs.

Being freshly painted, be careful of any new leaks because they won't show up like they would on a dirty old machine that would have layers of dirt built up on any oily spot. Don't let us second guess the price either, if it works great, you have the expertise to judge the condition, and you have a NEED for it, then you pay what you have to pay.

If you don't mind sharing your plans for it and your experience, then we can make some more suggestions as to whether it's appropriate for you. And tell you if you're falling in love too fast.

Welder Dave

I think the biggest thing to check out is the undercarriage if everything else checks out. Price isn't bad and there's not many crawler backhoes with extendahoe. If you have a use for it and it needs undercarriage sooner rather than later, figure if it's worth spending an additional $7500-$11K and having new undercarriage. The first thing I'd do is get rid of the rock guards unless all you did was work in rocks.

DrewSteele

Hey guys - thanks for the replies. So this machine is about 20 minutes from me so im going to go look at it tonight.
I need it for excavation for a house Im building. Roughly 600yds needs to come out of a hillside along with various drainage trenches and hillside cutting etc. My property is terraced with +- 6' wide trails so looking at tracks for stability and climbing. The added heft for pulling stumps is also a consideration.

I do have a Deere 955 with a backhoe on it and its been great - as I can get all over the mt. but its way too small for the job at hand. I rented a 310 G for a weekend and that was great but it was too big to be able to get around the whole hillside. Ive operated a few skidsteers but nothing on tracks.

I do have a friend who is an excellent mechanic - with lots of experience rebuilding/rehabbing equipment that lives in the area and says that he actually hired that exact machine out some time ago when he was building his place. Im trying to see if he'll come along for the ride.

When Im taking it for a spin - is there a basic set of things I should be looking for?

thx a bunch fellas
Andy

Welder Dave

See what the seller is like and ask him why he's selling it. Sometimes you can tell in a hurry if a seller is trying to pull a fast one. Maybe he's honest and will just say something like it needs undercarriage and he doesn't want to spend any more money on it. Try it out and look for leaks, the hydraulics should easily pick the machine up, see how it turns and try all gears. I'd guess it has the 2 speed steering so check that out. If you can dig with it might show any problems. Of course check out the undercarriage and look at the sprocket teeth and bushings from underneath. See if the bottom roller flanges are hitting the pin bosses on the rails. It's been for sale for awhile, that could mean nobody is interested, there's a glaring problem or the seller isn't considering low ball offers.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
If you go and operate it, work it hard especially in turns. If the rails are shot it will drop one off, that would be a defined No Sale for me and a required fix or deep discount for the owner.

DrewSteele

thx guys - I went, I saw. The guy seemed pretty cool. He does dirt work for a living and sounds like he has several machines. Sounds like he bought this machine with the rebuilt engine sitting next to it a few years ago. I cant remember if he did it or someone else did, but the hydraulic pump has also been rebuilt - net net tho, it sounds like he picked up a project and realized that he didnt really need it once complete. When I saw it, he had the backhoe off to replace some leaky hoses. and he had some of the floor plates in the cab unbolted as well as the sheet metal for the sides of the engine off so I didnt drive it but he did get on it and worked it into a hillside - I stood close to the tracks. they were loud and there was some grinding but nothing fell off. The left side was noisier than the right and he identify that the left side was too tight. So - he's gonna get the hoses done, track adjusted, and all the sheet metal buttoned up and then ill head out there with a friend of mine who is more knowledgeable to take it for a spin.

Some new questions tho now that I have seen it -
  1. I noticed that it was really front heavy with the bucket full - back of the tracks were coming off the ground rocking a bit. Normal? I saw another machine that had counterweights on it. Assume this is best practice for when teh hoe is off? Anyone know if these are hard to come by?
  2. it has what he called street tracks? on it - the feet arent that aggressive and thus i saw him sliding a bit when he was trying to push into the hillside for a scoop. He mentioned that the you could get a Chinese replacement assembly if I wanted something more aggressive - anyone know anything about this?
  3. he said that he hasnt really worked the backhoe - so when I do get that thing digging and swinging - what should I be looking for?
  4. considering all of this - does 26k sound reasonable?

Last edited:

Jbullfrog

Mental note: Case crawlers use mineral oil in the brake systems. If they get brake fluid add to them, ever, it is an expensive overhaul to replace the piston seals and internals. I grew up with a 310g that dad and grandpa bought new. I worked on a few bigger crawlers and the old mechanics were surprised I new about Case Brake oil.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
No such animal as "Street" track shoes or sheet track shoes just well worn out or new or in between on two or three bar loader shoes and single grouser dozer shoes. If they are slick they will need replacing if you intend to use it for hard digging. Also need to check rail dimension, pick any pin on the rails choose a face on that pin either forward or rear face edge, measure from there to the fifth pin in either direction to the same edge face. Divide that number by four and you get a average on pin/bushing wear for one link section. 25" is new, 100% worn or to a replacement value by Case is 25.62 or 25 5/8" across any four links, 6.25 pitch rail. There are other dimensions involved but this is a priority measurement.

This is Dresser/IH but applies to all rails as a machine basic, ignore the dimension measurements:

http://www.tractorparts.com/PDFs/undrcarguide.pdf