• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What do you call those rams use to pull things together?

RobVG

Occupation
17 excavators and a stewpot of other stuff
Anyone know of a good place to get one?

Anybody got a pic of theirs?

Last edited:

lantraxco

What are you trying to pull?

Porta power type? Enerpac is one good brand. Do you need push cylinder, pull cylinder, hollow ram? I have a 30 ton hollow ram with some high grade threaded rod I use for pulling bushings and such into bores....

6Z271_AS01.jpg

RobVG

Occupation
I'm looking for a pull cylinder. I need to pull the ears into alignment on a couple grapple jaws. The one with the threaded rod sounds like it would work.

I got 21 1/2" inches between them. They need to move about an inch inward.

Thanks.

lantraxco

Any good tool shop will have something, or Graingers. The threaded rod, nuts and washers I picked up from Tacoma screw because it was handy at the time. I bought fine thread heat treated, don't remember the exact grade, but it wasn't the usual all-thread.

That picture is the hollywood version of what I have, 30 tonner with a hollow rod, I usually put the butt up against whatever and let the nut and washer go up against the black ring there on the rod. Mine has a bit over 2" of stroke. Do you have a hand or air powered porta power pump?

RobVG

Occupation
10 ton OCT hand portapower.

Do you know if the couplers are standardized?

lantraxco

Usually are, haven't run into any of the name brands that don't connect right up. In an emergency I have pulled one off another cylinder to connect up to one that came without the coupler. Yeah, OTC, that was the brand I could not remember, lol.

gtermini

I have an old auto body pull back ram that's pretty handy. It has chain hooks on both ends and pulls about 6". I think it's only 5 ton rated, but works some places a hollow ram won't.

Greyson

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I'm looking for a pull cylinder. I need to pull the ears into alignment on a couple grapple jaws. The one with the threaded rod sounds like it would work.

I got 21 1/2" inches between them. They need to move about an inch inward.

Thanks.

Without actually seeing what you're working with, could you do it with a chain ratchet binder? I've used them to pull all kinds of things together.

RobVG

Occupation
Well Willie, it's 3/4 AR400. I haven't had much luck getting the stuff to bend. Last year I built a bridge and used a bottle jack to push them in place. Not sure a binder would work but it's worth a shot. I think I saw a pic of your pull jack somewhere one time.

I think I posted a pic of the job last year. I'll see if I can find it.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Well, I typically use what others have suggested, an Enerpac 30 ton hollow ram with an 1 1/4" threaded rod going through it. They're expensive, but really handy tools. :)

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Excuse my ignorance but do the threaded rods screw into the ends of the ram?

Yikes! They can be expensive. I wonder if these cheaper ones are junk?

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/hollow-hydraulic-cylinder

A: Nope, the rams are a hole all the way through the middle, you simply insert a hardened threaded rod through it and put a nut on the opposite end.

B: Yep, they're expensive, but worth every penny you pay for one when the applications requires such a tool. :cool:

lantraxco

Excuse my ignorance but do the threaded rods screw into the ends of the ram?

Yikes! They can be expensive. I wonder if these cheaper ones are junk?

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/hollow-hydraulic-cylinder

Well, they have a year warranty. Those were not available when I bought mine or I would have tried one. I ended up buying a used Enerpac one that looked like new, love it, don't know how I ever lived without it. Oh, and I also bought a lightly used air powered pump, dang I'm lazy! Installing 20 bushings at a go though would leave both arms too bushed to boogie.

ETER

Rob, I finally got some used hollow rams off of epay last year and have been using them where ever I used to use either a bottle jack to push, or all-thread to pull. I found I never had enough arms/hands to operate the bottle jack on it's side and still hold push pins in place...and after the all-thread threads in one area of the rod had been used hard a few times, the threads wear thin, and you lose considerable "thrust" from the threads starting the roll-over process.
Also found that a few sections of "B-7" threaded rod of different diameters and lengths to be good to keep in your special tools kit...PVC pipe with end caps are very good storage tubes to keep the rod threads from getting "mashed" when not in use>
Regards, BobDSC05318.jpgDSC05299.jpg

JD955SC

We use the threaded rods and rams all the time at work.

The hardest thing about them is holding everything together while you rig it up in awkward spots but they work very well. Little slow but they get it done.