• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What did I buy? Champion 740

decee

I am an absolute newbie in this stuff. A group of us hunt camp owners needed a maintenance vehicle. We needed a grader to grade and plow snow on a private 7KM gravel road in Northern Ontario. This was the best deal I could find. It cost me $6000 CAD including a 300KM float trip. It came with a snow wing

DSC02233.jpg

It had gear problems where one of the rear drive shafts had eaten a bearing and threw a chain. It is costing me $2200 for 2 bearings, chain and shaft and $800 in labour to repair it at a local jack of all trades heavy equipment mechanic

Everything else works except for a leaky fitting on the moldboard

Can anybody tell me anything about this unit? Serial number is 740-21-102-9288

What year is it?
What engine is in it?
What engine oil should I be using in it if it is sometimes used at down to -20'F in the winter?

We may use it for 80 hrs a year in total.
Also looking for a dozer blade for the front

bill onthehill

If you get deep snows when nobody is around to keep up with the snow removal you would be better off looking for a V-plow for the front. IMHO Let some of the grader guys steer you on using it.

Panhandler Bob

Occupation
operator
:cool: mite wanna think about chains for drive tires, more lites if any nite plowin to be done, and a good heater. my .02 worth :drinkup good huntin

SterlingR

Formerly DRESSTA1
Might even consider new tires for the rear. It looks like those were designed for a golf course.

JonesBros

Occupation
Operator/Mechanic/Truck Driver/Fabricator
It looks to be like an early to mid 80's model machine. Thats about all I can tell you. I know very little about Champion graders.

Deere John

Occupation
Professional Forester
As to the oil, run either Shell or Esso 0-W40 grade. It is a little pricey for a 20 litre oil change, but you can run it year round for all you will do with it in the summer. That machine probably has the L-10 Cummins in it. If the rear snow tires are decent, you shouldn't need chains working down to -20. If it is near 0, and you are asking alot of it, well then chains would sure help.

Were is the machine now, and where is it going? 150 km from Toronto puts you near Huntsville. If you are near North Bay, I can arrange a days training with a crusty old personality on virtually the same machine. It could save you thousands of dollars, and give you better results too.

Last edited:

decee

Thanks for all the replies. From my understanding that even though the rear tires look like turf tires, they are ice tires which are appropriate because packed frozen snow is just like ice. We previously had an old Wabco that blew up two years ago. It had similar tires and never got stuck.
A V plow is not right for us because we need to punch driveways into camps with no windrow near the end.

Thank you kindly for the training offer but it is a fair hike for you.

I bought the machine just outside Sudbury and it is now in Chapleau. It is still being repaired as the Champion dealer in North Bay sent the wrong bearings

There is year round resident living on the road who will use it to keep the road open. He knows how to operate it and will be giving me lessons. His pick-up and Western plow just can't do it anymore. Last year we had an 18" dumping of heavy wet snow in March that we had to call a contractor in to clear. He had to come for 60 KM away and it wasn't cheap

Last edited:

Deere John

Occupation
Professional Forester
It is still being repaired as the Champion dealer in North Bay sent the wrong bearings

FYI, Strongco, the Volvo/Champion dealer closed their shop in North Bay yesterday. With any luck, your return made it to them in time. Another casualty of the recession.

Dominion 410

Champion

To bad about the Champion dealer.Made a few trips over the years there myself.The tires on your grader look like a Michelin commercial tread,14.00x24 in size by just eyeing the picture.They are very good snow/ice tires.

Dominion

King of Obsolete

Occupation
marketing my life style
that looks a lot like buddy barry's 740 except after the fire we had the cab painted black.
the chain thing sounds about right, we did buddy barry's that is what it costed.

the leak on the mold board could be the swivel, i'm looking at replcing it with long hoses after the guys on this BB sugessted that.

what motor do you have???

thansk
KoO
Published Author

decee

FYI, Strongco, the Volvo/Champion dealer closed their shop in North Bay yesterday. With any luck, your return made it to them in time. Another casualty of the recession.

That's why it took so long for the original parts order to be shipped!

Had to phone the Jack of all TRades mechanic by radio telephone today to tell him not to pay invoices until all parts arrive.

Might have to pay full retail at Strongco Mississsauga

That's the trouble with living 600KM away from where your new piece of yellow is being repaired!

Grader4me

Is it a standard shift transmission? Looks to be in good condition just judging by the picture. Do you know if it's a 6 or 4 cylinder motor? Probably a detroit engine.
Tires are good. Work great in snow. For a front blade your best bet would be to look around for a junked grader and see if you can buy the moldboard off it. Modifiy it to work as your front blade. You should make it around 9' so that it sticks out beyond the outside of your front tires a bit. Also, when you build your lift arm have it so you can apply a little down pressure.

decee

I take it they just closed the location and and didn't go bankrupt? Strongco is a big company and there is no news of it on their website

decee

Strongco just told me it has a Detroit 671 engine and should have a 9150 (powershift) transmission