• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

what causes a stick cylinder to bend ?

brian falcone

our 336 has had an easy life so far. i personally put over 4k hours on it and aside from a few engine fault codes its been a decent machine. its equipt with a long stick and a hyd. thumb. this week i was feeding the crusher loading loose material into the hopper. i notice hyd. oil on the boom and parked the machine. the wiper came out of the piston cap and there was a deep gouge about an inch wide from about three inches from the end of the chrome all the way to the seals in the cap. it had to happen internally because it appeared to continue into the packing. anyway we removed the cylinder and took it to the loacal dealer . they called today and said the rod cannot be reused...obviously ,and its also bent and thats what caused the gouge. also the inside of the cylinder is also damaged and cant be reused. this machine had an issue with the stick creeping in and out on its own when it was purchased and it was noted in the dealer mechs. laptop. i think something came apart inside and caused it but dealer says otherwise. i didnt notice any bends when i took it off and the machine didnt hit anything or work hard. the gouge is at about 2 o clock if youre looking at the cylinder from the front of the machine. also pins are still like new , no wear, well greased. we havent seen the bend only been told what the dealer found. i have put in over 40k hours on various excavators in my career and have never seen or had this happen before. so i ask... what could cause that bend to happen ?

mikebramel

Realistically, if the cylinder was drifting it was already damaged. It may have only been bent .010 or .020 which is greater than the piston wear band to the tube, allowing the tube and piston to contact. Then every hard push after the rod isn't parallel to the transmission line and bends further until you have a major problem like you do. Debris in the tubing, hoses, and valve. You may want to verify the relief setting for those ports and that they havent been tampered with

Welder Dave

Banging on something can cause the stick cylinder to bend. Maybe the gland nut or bolt was slightly loose which could cause the creeping and maybe allow the rod to move slightly in the bore causing a bend?

check

I've heard that backing up with the bucket in contact with the hole causes bucket cylinders to bend. Maybe stick cylinder too?

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
Pushing to hard against the thumb with the bucket can bend rods if pressures and pressure relief aren’t set correctly

brian falcone

This was the piston up on top of the boom the brings the stuck in and out. Anyway We found a rebuilt one at another shop for half the cost of cat. I think the underlying issue was there when we got it but it's too late now.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Any way to find out the machines prior repair history ?

Did you buy the machine new or used? Either way the Cat dealer should have all records of dealer service and repair on the machine tied to the serial #. Of course anything done by any outfit other than the dealer is a crap shoot.

brian falcone

Did you buy the machine new or used? Either way the Cat dealer should have all records of dealer service and repair on the machine tied to the serial #. Of course anything done by any outfit other than the dealer is a crap shoot.
used. it was a cat rental machine.