• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What are the "Must have" Hydraulic Excavator Thumb features you want?

attachment1

I work for an attachment manufacturer and we are always interested in hearing from users on what works best for them. In fact, we have a particular focus on excavator thumbs and the needs of you all, the users. We are also looking for people to field test new thumb designs so let me know if you are interested!

thanks,

Joe

Landclearer

Hi Joe,

We have hyd thumbs on all of our excavators. It is an absolute must to have a progressive linkage. Do you have a website or some pics of your thumbs?

Chris

Logan

Occupation
Logger excavator operator and dad.
Yeah I'd be interested in your website too. We built one (several times) for firewood and log handling. Ended up needing an L shaped thumb with the bottom of the L being 3 prongs about 30cm long, thumb had 3 'fingers' so was used as a grab for loading firewood trucks with split wood as well as unloading logs and holding them for sawing. More versatile than a grapple and meant we could do drainage and digging tasks without having to change implements

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Welcome to the Forums attachment1!:drinkup

Glad to have you. We do have a rule on advertising here on HEF but don't worry you haven't broken it. I just wanted to inform you.

From the Rules - https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/announcement.php?f=81

Aside from the "for sale" area, for member's personally owned goods, advertising of goods and services is not permitted unless sponsoring heavyequipmentforums.com. A vendor of goods or services may make one introductory post explaining their product or service and may answer questions about such within that thread. No further promotion of your product or service may be made without sponsorship. If you are interested in becoming a sponsor, click “Contact Us” at the bottom of any page.

There's no harm done, I just wanted to make it clear.;)

Now to the question. I have a non-progressive linkage thumb on my mini and I have owned in the past a progressive link thumb on a 321. I prefer the progressive link thumb hands down over a non-progressive link thumb. I have also had manual thumbs that did their job but there is nothing like having hydraulics.

The age old problem with hyd thumbs is making them light enough in order to not affect the operating capacity of the machine too much and making it strong enough to take the punishment. Thumbs are also a region item. In my area you see very few hydraulic thumbs, most are manual. In other areas of the country hydraulic thumbs are more prevalent, with different preferences being progressive and non.

attachment1

Thanks for the clarification on advertising, wouldn't want to break that rule! I appreciate the discussion and look forward to more feedback on thumbs. A couple specific questions I have would be:

1. How important is the width of the thumb body in relation to the bucket width - if at all?
2. On main pin and progressive link thumbs, how much rotation is needed or expected?
3. How important is the "curve" of the thumb body or tines?
4. What are the most important considerations when looking at thumbs for log handling?

thanks again!

Landclearer

CM, yes I agree, manual thumbs do what they are supposed to do but they sure are no where near as effective and a hyd. You will wear out the undercarriage walking back and forth trying to get to the one point that the thumb and bucket touch the ground:mad:

Landclearer

Please keep in mind, this is only my opinion so take it for what it is.

1. The width should be between 2/3 and 3/4 the width of the bucket depending on the bucket size and how the teeth mesh.
2. 180 degrees is about standard. I think Cats "full rotation" models are a little more.
3. The curve is very important. You need a decent amount of room between the sides of the bucket and the thumb while the tines and the teeth are just touching, that way you maximize the amount of debris you can hold.
4. If you are looking to handle logs, you will have to make sure it can take the stress of long logs. Just like a pipe on a wrench the longer it is, the more force you can put on it.

I hope that makes some sense.

Chris

Landclearer

We have used Geith and Esco in the past. I like the Esco a little better but we now have 3 Cats all with Cat thumbs. I do feel the one on our 315 is the perfect size. The ones on the 320s are too heavy. They will fit a 320/324/329 size machines and throw the balance off especially on the 320E

roadbuilder6

Ion minis i prefer one that has nice long teeth that holds on to rocks well, thats the thing i dont like about the bobcat hydraulic thumbs.

Effinay

Occupation
Getting organized with my own small business
Could somebody help me with undeerstanding the difference between progressive and non progressive thumbs? The one on my mini, aside from being old and worn, is operated by linkage attatched to the bucket. I'm going to go get some pics. Be right back.......

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win

Effinay

Occupation
Back from outside and got a couple pics. Obviously not hydraulic, but the plumbing is already there and I'm seriously considering swapping it over. Aside from being old and worn, is this a progressive or non-progressive type thumb. Thanks for looking.

OldandWorn

Back from outside and got a couple pics. Obviously not hydraulic, but the plumbing is already there and I'm seriously considering swapping it over. Aside from being old and worn, is this a progressive or non-progressive type thumb. Thanks for looking.

The basic design I would consider to be progressive.

Effinay

Occupation
This is a good thing? Didn't mean any disrespect when describing my "stuff" as old and worn, but it is. Thanks for responding.

Landclearer

Effinay,

What you have is an Amulet Hoe Clamp. It works off of the bucket linkage. It is not really a progressive link, it is more of a hybrid.

Chris

Effinay

Occupation
A progressive link has a dog bone on the same pin as the bucket linkage and pinned at the bucket. This allows more rotation with the bucket. Non-progressive link is only pinned at the bucket and has a smaller range of motion.

Progressive link - http://www.safestcoupler.com/excavator/progressive_link.htm

Non - http://www.google.com/search?client...FeqSPp3lOxUgJM:;103581416552834652505;500;454

Helpful information, and by the way, your screen name is great! With all this linkage on my thumb I'm still a little confused about what I've got here. One thing that I have discovered with the set up I've got is that sometimes the thumb is in my way, and then there's other times I wish it was plumbed to work independently of the bucket. Any thoughts on swapping it over?

OldandWorn

This is a good thing? Didn't mean any disrespect when describing my "stuff" as old and worn, but it is. Thanks for responding.

Haahaa....no worries. Originally it was describing my old and worn backhoe but as the years tick by it's becoming more fitting than I want it too. :D

Like Landclearer mentioned it's a hybrid but it does have the design and some components of a progressive. You would somehow have to attach that short link to a cylinder but I can't say if it's a "good thing" in this case.

Last edited: