• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What Are The Best Tools On The Market?

Trashman

Occupation
Garboligist
I have what most of you would consider to be junk...but they work and I've had most of them since the 70's. Some of them brands most of you have probably never heard of like Buffalo, Globemaster and TA Tools....I bought what I could afford to loose and I have lost plenty of them over the years...I have one ratchet that I have been trying to lose for years.....:D

TEC

Craftsman-just for the ease of exchange and price

S-K-if you have some money to spend new, I've picked up a lot at yard/estate sales, easy to warranty, hard to find the place to exchange

MAC/Matco-expensive, have to find tool guy to exchange, sometimes it can be a pain to exchange

Snap-on-expensive, some pieces have been hard to exchange, you need a set of ball bearings and a press/vise to split sockets and wrenches so the tool truck won't tell you it's worn out. Three times more expensive than craftsman. Since I have moved to the us I've found that unless you buy things/pay weekly, 80% of these guys don't want to go out of there way to service you.

If you like more money in your pocket, good after sale service and to work with your tools I think Craftsman and SK are a couple of the best.

Tom

SeaMac

Occupation
Operator
For my money it's Klein and Craftsman although I'm not a Mechanic or Technician I do believe in quality tools and ease of exchange in the event of problems. In all my years I have only had to e.xchange one 3/8" ratchet.

big b

I have almost all snap on tools in my service truck I really like the quality of the tools and my tool man will warrenty any thing I give him even if I use a screwdriver as a pry bar, but I know that is not the norm with most Snap on tool trucks. Does anyone here use Cornwell tools I dont know much about them since there isnt a dealer that is in my area. I was just wondering about the quality fit and finish on them. I saw them on the Gearz tv show.

Flhr62

I like Snap-on end wrenches and sockets. Cornwell angle wrenches because they are a little thinner. S-K ratchets because they have more teeth.

dirtmonkey

Occupation
dozer monkey , self employed

TEC

I left out Cornwell, I have some and the look pretty well made. I have never warranted any, but I think I would have to call them to find a truck or ship them to the company.

I have some K tool, are these good tools? I have them in my junk tool box. You know all the tools you come across that you keep just to modify or make into other tools.

Tom

materthegreater

Sounds like most of you are talking about wrenches, sockets, etc. What about drills and taps? I know they are more machine shop type tools, but occasionally you need them in the garage or on site.
I just picked these up today for $40. They seem to be good quality. These are the brands: Butterfield, Vermont, Greenfield, Bath, a few Threadwell, Regal, and Hanson. Seem like a good deal? :D
Sizes range from #2 to 7/8"

picture.php

Last edited:

Dr. Dozer

Occupation
Heavy equipment repair and salvage
Snap on has some rally good quality tools,also Williams and Cornwell make some really good stuff if you can find it I have a few Williams ratchets that have a great feel to them and have held up to plenty of abuse

tylermckee

A mix of cheap junk and SK, oh and some reed waterline stuff. Really like SK, and the local parts store sells/fixes it. Already rebuilt my 1/2 drive ratchet twice. It gets used a lot under water in sand and mud.

Ace K

Occupation
Boat Ninja
No one mentioned Milwaukee hands down the best cordless tools. I have four Milwaukee grinders, one is so old it is all steel its no fun to hold it over your head but boy does it throw sparks. Drills and saw zalls again the best.

pajibson

I run a mix of all the big brands ( snap-on etc). But I keep a drawer full of cheaper stuff for those occasions when I need to heat and beat or cut something to make a tool. We have pretty good flea market right down the road that has a couple of vendors that specialize in tools. Have found some awesome bargains there.

I work on the smaller stuff and lots of electronics. I agree, the big brands make the best big tools (snap-on, matco, etc...)
For me, I focus more on good meters like Fluke and Klein makes some really good stuff.
For the smaller then 3/4 inch stuff, I have a big mix of everything from Craftsman, Husky, and yes, even a (cringe) Harbor Freight impact wrench. The Harbor Freight Impact wrench I use, maybe four times per year, so its really hard to convince myself to spend more then $100 on a tool I seldom use.

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
Name brand Tools don't make a mechanic and neither does a toolbox ;) I don't buy junk I have a lot of snapon stuff but also a lot of craftsman stuff too........ I have never had to chase the craftsman man down while driving down the road to get a wrench replaced but with snapon it's hard to say lol. I have waited several months on parts for a ratchet or testlight or even a little cordless impact before all because of a pizz pour snapon rep.

I also have some johndeere tools ( I was a Mechanic at the JD dealer at the age of 16) , thier professional line is made by Mac and then semi pro made by craftsman (the craftsman professional line ) I have a few sets of both including snapon, with 3 shops and a couple of service trucks my tools are always getting scattered around and I don't want to spend the money for S-O for all places. I have never ran into anything that I said "oh crap I forgot my S-O 9/16 and I can't get the job done with my craftsman I better go back to the shop) :rolleyes:

All that said, yes I prefer snapon but let's be honest...... Money is an object lol and I don't make my living with hand tools but I highly respect those that do :usa

Look at it this way,....... If you load a truck once in a while a skid loader will serve purpose, but if your a rock quarry and load all day every day a expensive wheel loader is the tool of choice..... They both work and will get the job done but one will make you a little more money ;)

Pj

Last edited:

AKSNOW

Occupation
Heavy Eqpt / NCCO Crane operator
Proto,snap-on,craftsman,and all Milwaukee cordless and corded(grinders,portaband,etc)

ValleyFirewood

Last time inventoried the boxes there was about $25,000 worth of hand tools and only three items were SnapOn. I don't like the big money output for items I might use three times a year. I also don't like waiting for the tool man to show up and then give me crap about how I miss used "his" tools.

Most of my stuff is Mac, Matco and Craftsman. I have some big Proto wrenches and a lot of specialty stuff from the Napa store. There is also plenty of SK stuff in there. If they are generic brands like Vise Grip I'll buy them at the cheapest place I can find.

My philosophy is to buy the best that I can afford that will fill the need I have. I'm not going to pay $50 for a half inch ratchet that I can buy at Sears for $23. I can get the Craftsman rebuilt or replaced any day of the week. I can find a Sears store in about every town I go through.

My thoughts as well. I have some Snap On stuff and most of it I don't feel is any better than the dozens of other brands.

The warranty is a hassle for sure! Back when I ran a tool room we spent around $50k-75k a year with Snap On and it was ALWAYS a fight to get things replaced.
"Oh that was abused". "Oh that isn't warrantied against that".
I'm talking about 10-20$ items for the most part too, screwdrivers, Allen bits, etc.
It got to the point I had to have him sign a hand receipt because he would steal the tools... didn't have a replacement so would have to "order it" but needed the broken tool.

Also their torque wrenches are horrible!
All our stuff had to be calibrated (PMEL). Often brand new out of the box they were WAY off and couldn't even meet *-5% at all. On one order of 3/8" torque wrenches it took over a dozen to get 4 that met specs!

I know there are die hard Snap On fans, but for the price, not worth it. The stuff I bought was 50-60% off cost (discount i had) and even still it was spendy.

Last edited: