• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Wet blade Herbicide treatment systems?

245dlc

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
We have an opportunity to bid on a tender for mowing power line right of ways. The method required for the job is called 'wet blading' where by a heavy duty type mower is mounted on one or both of our excavators. The only manufacturer I know of that builds these systems or I should say did build these systems was Diamond mowers out of South Dakota. I contacted them recently and they kinda rudely replied No with no explanation as to why. Are there any other manufacturers here or does anybody know of any other manufacturers that build these types of systems.
Here's some information:

http://www.colvoy.com/ecoblade-presentation-colvoy.pdf

td25c

That's interesting . This is all new to me applying the herbicide while mowing .

I did spot this article from Purdue University showing a " Burch " and " Brown " mowers using a wet blade system .
https://www.agriculture.purdue.edu/pesp/rowmanual/chapter_6/5.shtml

Be interesting to hear the inside story about the Diamond Mowers ?
Looked like somewhat of a complex system moving the herbicide through the rotor shaft & blades .
Some chemical company may hold the patent on it ?

245dlc

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Yeah I don't know what's up with Diamond, but the competition has their mowers mounted on a couple excavators as the terrain is pretty rough where many of these right of ways are. The trick is to mulch the right of way one year and then wait 2-3 years for all the green suckers to shoot up and then mow them with a wet blade system thus avoiding having to do any spraying and the problems that come with spraying. Looks like I might of found something here......

Hobbytime

I read through the diamond link you posted, I wonder how often that little hole gets clogged from debris being forced into it while brush hogging, seems like you can make your own wet blade with some sort of injector mounted under the shell of the mower( and then buying your control system like they have), I doubt the pictures showing of just the tops of the stalks being coated is reality true( maybe a pic just to show whats suppose to happen, like any other advertisement for equipment). why not search for someone that sells the wet side system and see if they make it to retrofit an existing brush hog?

245dlc

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Well it appears they have a patent on the wet blade design or somebody does at least. I don't think it would be very difficult to reproduce it we would only need maybe two bush hogs equipped to do it. Yeah there are issues that can arise with a system like that especially when your working in wild country as opposed to mowing roadside ditches and pretty meadows. The rep from the utility company we were working for had told they had some problems and complaints from people along the right of ways when it came to chemical drift killing things that weren't suppose to be killed. But a lot of that comes down to things like weather conditions, humidity, operator error, maintenance, and type of chemical being applied. I should add the reason behind using excavator to do the mowing over other equipment like skid-steers and hydro axe type rigs is largely because of the difficult terrain being partly Canadian Shield, muskeg, and glacial till having an excavator type boom gives us to ability to mow over obstacles that other equipment struggles with. This is also why I might look at mounting one of these wet blade mower attachments on a Spider excavator that I'm hoping to procure this year. I did another google search last night and it appears Slashbuster has a wet blade design of their own I sent them an e-mail last night so I hope to hear from them soon. http://www.slashbuster.com/options.htm
We talked to ProMac not long ago and they don't do it and it seems to be more for ethical reasons than anything else as far as I can tell which is too bad because they build really good mulcher attachments and have really good service plus they are based here in Canada where I would rather invest my money.