• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

West Kern Oil Museum

ferrology

Occupation
CDL driver, landscaping, salvage
I have to confess had not heard of this forum, this thread is where a hunter of iron dinosaurs belongs!:notworthy
Everyday I see better stuff than what I drive going by on trailers headed for the junkyard, not much "old iron" is being saved due to the turnover in real estate and people always running around looking for an "eyesore" to whine about. That said I take the time to dismantle appliances and power tools and put the copper/aluminum and hardware aside, you never know when a switch, hinge or brace out out of one might come in handy. One reason to stay faithful to one particular model or brand is interchangeable parts. I live down the street and downstream from where the waterpowered Linn Tractor plant stood until a fire in 1982 (some annexes/outbuildings remain), parts/bits and pieces were scattered in fill and rip-rap they did around the village, plus they ran their own "boneyard" where they dismantled machines for used parts or chopped them into power units, burnt off the cabs, etc. that I tried to excevate as much as I could. And then there were sticky-fingered employees, whose basements, attics and garages I have tried getting the "clean-out" jobs for over the years as they died or moved away. About every post or piece of channel steel around this village originated from the Linn Co., the sheet steel liners out of dump boxes cover a lot of old cess pools. They also moved a lot of buildings around here with them. In fact the biggest obstacle I have had locally with collecting Linn history, is that until recently they had been so everyday (jaded) no one cared about it. After a few collectors pay outragous prices for them at auction, now everyone is hoping to find something around here that they can put on ebay. I am trying to complete a partial roster of original as well as current owners, to preserve what is left, and also so when I get sent a photo by someone like King-of- Obsolete, I can guess the model, vintage and location and maybe ownership, I tend to think of each machine as an individual, same as with steam locomotives, so if you have spotted a particular Linn, or heard about one years ago, or want to know what were used in your area, just shout and I'll tell you what I know. I also try and identify parts for people, and even the longshot of finding spare parts for those in need (no commission - I just want to save what is left from being scrapped). :Banghead
Attached pics (admit have size issues) what the Linn I have looked like new (1942), John Belfield in Melbourne, Australia has the only complete example today, and what mine looked like when it arrived, having been converted from a C5 to a C6 (front wheel drive, transfer case and hydraulically lowered rear wheeled axle that trailed, not driven) in ths late 1940s. Last image one culled from an adv. on ebay.
I put a blurb about Linn on wikipedia, basically he was a dog and pony show man who wanted to hit the off-railroad towns but found roads impassable, and began experimenting with gas and steam driven vehicles before getting involved with Alvin Lombard. Lombard was not really the "first" to build a crawler but the first commercial builder, distributor and servicing of them in the field. Linn found these crawlers were too big so began downsizing them for normal highway use, but being "sole sales agent" for Lombard at that point, Lombard claimed him as an employee and claimed propietary rights, this led to a lifelong feud and Linn went south, traveled through at least 13 states with his show but ended up here in Morris, NY where there was waterpower, investors, a desperate need for an induustry of some kind (when sheep and textiles were big before Reconstruction in the south, had been center of the Hops industry after that) and centrally located between NYC and Upstate manufacturing cities like Utica, Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo, etc. where most of his components would come from. Plus there was clearly the same need for good roads (nearest rails about 8 miles away), a potential market for farm tractors and logging activity in the Adirondacks (north) and Catskills (south). A note about logging activity, except for clear cut acid wood operators during WW1, the companies leased or owned land managed for long term yields, they skidded logs out to the haul roads with single hitch horses, then loaded them onto sleighs at the banking decks,then assembled them at central areas into the 10 to 20 long sled trains Linns would haul down out to the rails (a Linn haul road was far cheaper than railroad building/equipping/operation) or rivers, roads were bridged over swamps and creeks with corduroy log roads, the road surfaces were iced with water at night, up to 3' depth, so the only enviromentally harmful aspect was when the logs bumped into riverbanks and bottoms going downstream. Now they have sold most of that land to the state, "forever wild" no matter what happens (the 1950 blowdown salvage was the last "big show" for all kinds of pre-WW2 and surplus army equipment in the Adirondacks, with much iron abandonned when done, since junked, burnt or buried by the state), and instead our timber products come from rainforests in other parts of the world being stripped bare. Ice roads are believed to have been developed in the Michigan woods c. 1880's, then of course after they began exploring the far north and hauling with outfits like King Of Obsolete has, they began a program of maintaining "ice roads" up there.

Attachments

• catruk1942.jpg
    catruk1942.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 1,450
  • catrukwhenarrived (2).jpg
    catrukwhenarrived (2).jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 1,474
  • jjbatterhilljohnsoncityTN.jpg
    jjbatterhilljohnsoncityTN.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 1,433

wrenchbender

ferrology, that's a very good post with lots of info, your passion for the Linn is very apparent. Now just how we become attached to trucks,equipment or a certain brand of these is beyond me. But it happens and can't be controlled. It's a fever,sickness or maybe a cure but whatever it is I like it. Thanx for joining HEF we look foward to more post on the Linn.

mag6000

Great info ferrology. Thanks. I wish I could have gotten better pics of the Linn but there were very few good angles with all the other objects crowded around it.

Here are a few of a neat little tractor with a transverse mounted engine. This unit has a huge winch hanging off the rear.

Attachments

• desert 07 & trucks 214 (Small).jpg
    desert 07 & trucks 214 (Small).jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 1,343
  • desert 07 & trucks 212 (Small).jpg
    desert 07 & trucks 212 (Small).jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 1,399
  • desert 07 & trucks 211 (Small).jpg
    desert 07 & trucks 211 (Small).jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 1,398

mag6000

This one looks like an early multi-engine pulling tractor that someone outfitted with oil field rigging ;). How about those fancy outriggers!

Attachments

• desert 07 & trucks 203 (Small).jpg
    desert 07 & trucks 203 (Small).jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 1,495
  • desert 07 & trucks 207 (Small).jpg
    desert 07 & trucks 207 (Small).jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 1,644
  • desert 07 & trucks 204 (Small).jpg
    desert 07 & trucks 204 (Small).jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 1,537

Tn Bulldog

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator/ Truck driver
Some Awsome Pics yall esp of the ole AC Mack's & Mack's in general ;)

never knew the Pettibone made a grader thats 1st one ive ever seen id like to see it up close . i bet the ole jimmy motor will scream i mean sing to ya ;) :D

anymore pics of Mack's & Autocars yall?

& as steve said the ATHS Is a great org im joing it myself come this week as i still have my dad's & granddad's ole B model Mack (& its my namesake too ya i was named after a truck ;) :cool2: :D :drinkup )

later yall

Bulldog

Super Roel

Very nice pictures specially the Pettibone Muliken grader , we have in The Netherlands even a Pettibone Muliken grader in army paints .

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to HEF Super Roel! :drinkup

easygoing808

Occupation
Barber (not hair Dreeser) Part time Farmer of sort
The crane chassis does look like an Autocar. I wonder what the fuel consumption is like with that Waukesha. Here are some for the grader fans.

Just acquired a Pettibone 402 speed grader with a DRXB Hercules diesel engine.
Thank`s for the Pictures. Will have take a trip and look this one over.

tonka

Occupation
Equipment Operator
Wow i just saw this thread, i worked for the company that did the demo on the last wooden derrick standing in taft. It stood at the Chevron, Section 1a-119 oil lease, near Midway rd and highway 119. I also did a lot of work, abandoning old wells in the Taft, Mericopa, and Mckittrick areas.... wow this brings back memorys!!!!