• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Well designed skid steer forks?

Farlsincharge

I am looking for a well designed set of forks. Currently I have a set I built by copying a friends and a John deere set. Neither set touches the ground or has very much rollback. I have a bobcat s175 and when the forks are at their lowest and level the tops are 4 1/2" and 3 1/2" off the floor respectively. When the forks are off and sitting on the floor it is 19 3/4" from the floor to where the top of the QA plate would be in the pocket. I would like that measurement to be more like 22". And no, I learned my lesson the first time and do not want to build another set very badly. Any insight and all comments welcome.

Jeepwalker

What kind of things do you typically do with your forks? Some features I'm sure you're considering are how tall of a brick-guard do you want/need ...step-through, rated capacity, length? Sounds like you know forks though.

I recently settled on a set of 48" Berlon step-through forks rated at 5,500, for $750 from a local dealer. So far I like them. Don't have a problem with rollback and I don't remember if the ends are flat when sitting (probably not, most don't seem to be). I don't remember the QT height, but there is a Berlon link below. I went with step-through because they're safer getting in/out of the machine, offer better visibility, and for me the brick-guard isn't as critical as it might be for others. I wouldn't say they are super heavy-duty (I've seen heavier), but as I reviewed what I plan to use mine for, they should cover my needs with room to spare, but your needs may be more rigorous. Class III units are heavier duty and maybe you need to look at them?? I've heard good things about Bobcat heavy duty forks, but the number they threw at me was pretty high. There seem to be a lot of no-name Craigslist guys making/selling forks and buckets. Not knocking these guys' product, but for forks, I wanted to buy a set from a company with a bit of a reputation and a rating stamp.

http://www.berlon.com/ProductDetails/tabid/99/ProductID/37/skid-steer-pallet-forks

Last edited:

06Pete

The best ones I have found are the Cat ones and I have been able to pick up a couple sets for about $650 slightly used from the dealer they always have them I think they go out on rental machines and they just send a new set each time. They have held up to my TL240 well and you have good visibility.

Jeepwalker

I looked for a used set of forks around here for a long time and whatever I saw was either really beat up, had bent tines, or was about the price of new. If you can find a heavy-duty set for a good price, that would be great.

Farlsincharge

What I'm most concerned with is roll back and being able to set the forks on the ground completely. This helps when loading on uneven terrain. It seems like no manufacturer is putting any thought into these areas. I'm looking for feedback from people who have forks like this.

Also any feedback on the quality of titan attachments.

Jeepwalker

What I'm most concerned with is roll back and being able to set the forks on the ground completely. This helps when loading on uneven terrain. It seems like no manufacturer is putting any thought into these areas. I'm looking for feedback from people who have forks like this.

It's funny that you say that, when I was looking for a set, I didn't see any where the bottom of the forks sits flat on the ground and the top portion tapers down, like you might see on a fork lift. It almost seems like there is one supplier who makes the fork tines that mfgrs buy from. I wonder if it is because some pallets have a bottom wood stringer and the reverse taper (tapers upward) makes it easier to glide the tips of the forks into pallets w/o catching on, and breaking the bottom stringer? At the end of the day, that feature wasn't a show-stopper for me. But there's probably someone who makes such a set (let us know if you find someone who does). Other thing is such a set, if you find them, might be rather expensive too. Have you tried calling Berlon, Bradco or some of the fork makers? Maybe they can make you up a set like you are looking for?

I wonder if you could adapt some fork lift forks to your existing homemade set??

Last edited:

popsiclepete

Occupation
Mechanical Contractor
I've through this thread few times and maybe I don't do enough with the Fork attachment that I have but can't understand what your problem is? I went outside and looked in the snow at my forks just now to see if the manufacturers name and model is present but couldn't find it. I've moved stone pallets off and on a truck, lifted lumber on and off a truck and many other pallets around the yard and loaded and off loaded numerous trucks with them and had no problems except at a certain height (Truck bed height of course) poor visibility through the Brick Guard and quick attach plate, but that's typical of skid steers.

I do Know that the top of forks are flat and the bottoms are tapered, is this what your concerns are? Remember that a skid steer has more "bucket roll" that any fork lift and with proper positioning of the forks you can ride the heals of the forks and have the tips off the ground an inch or two so as the forks are level and capable picking up any pallet off of even or uneven ground. I believe the forks that I have are made by HLA and are Model # HD4248. but as I mentioned I cant confirm that but they do look similar.

Tags

I "think" I understand what he is saying. When the loader arms are all the way down the forks sit flat with the ground, I "think" he wants to have the ability to put the forks lower than the ground when the loader arms are all the way down. I have looked for forks that will do this because it makes planting trees easier when you can lower the forks more without tipping them. Any company I've spoken with says they "need to check with engineering" and that it will be "expensive". So I'll probably just end up remounting the plate on my forks myself someday if I have nothing better to do....I also could be totally wrong and the OP means something totally different. ;)

napost

I made a mounting plate for my Toyota husky skidsteer and a set of forks. I estimated where the connection point was required then put it all together. Turned out that when loader arms are completely down, forks are 2inches below ground level. In other words, arms down and forks level and the front wheels off the ground 2inchs. This makes it real easy to ride the forks under a large bale hay, even a little into the soil, and not get between the bale strings. I originally thought of the forks to be flush with ground now I'd have it no other way. Close to me there's a bobcat dealership, nothing Toyota, so I made my own forks. Obviously the lower you set the forks, you lose on height.

durallymax

Some OEMs have less rollback (Bobcat, Cat) than others (NH, Deere) and design their attachments accordingly. Some of the aftermarket companies will ask what machine you have so that they can get you an attachment with the proper rollback and attachment height. We have some forks from the NH days with no rollback built into them, the one Cat set we have has some built into it. None of that seems to matter because everyone twists them up anyways.

Having an attachment that can go below ground level can be handy, but if you have a door you may hate it sometimes.

Farlsincharge

The last couple guys get it. Thank you. I was using my John Deere forks on my bobcat today and there is next to no rollback. Carrying loose pipe at low level would be sketchy at best.
I have been getting measurements from manufacturers and so far blue diamond is the lowest riding, no idea on the rollback though.

I really like the John Deere forks, they have a real fork carriage and everything is heavy and hardened. However they fit tight on my QA (the bottom actually hits before they sit flush against the plate and the pins can barely engage), don't rollback and don't sit quite low enough.

Who has a set of forks they love and who makes em?

StumpyWally

Liv'in the Dream ---------------> in Ballston, NY
Occupation
PE Civil Eng'r, Computer Sys. Mgr., Retired
Who has a set of forks they love and who makes em?

I have a Bradco 16870 Signature Series, Class II ITA, fork frame (45" wide) w/ 2-48"-long 1250x600 forks (5,500 lbs/pair), that I use on my NH L220 SSL & my Ford 1320 tractor. They roll back very well, & will dig in the ground, but the taper on the forks is on the bottom.

Look at photos in post #37 in my thread here: https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/showthread.php?35861-User-Improvements-to-New-Holland-L220-SSL-amp-Attachments

Jeepwalker

I have a set of Berlon Class II forks, 48" length, step-through, #5,500 and the taper is on the bottom. Haven't had them very long or gotten real rough with them, but they work fine for what I use them for. They seem to roll back enough for me. I went with them because they had the best mix of quality and price ...I didn't need super heavy-duty forks.

I'd say around here Bradco, Berlon and Virnig are the most popular non-oem buckets & forks a lot of dealers sell, but Bradco and Berlon will laser-cut other company's names in their product as well, so you might be buying one of their products even if it has another company's name printed on it. Bear in mind, most of these companies have a "regular" product that dealers buy a spring shipment of (and stock), and they usually steer guys to what they have in stock. But these brands also have much heavier-duty and even industrial grade forks available, for order ...but you're going to pay a higher price, wait a couple weeks, and pay shipping too. Just go to, say, Bradco's website and you'll see all the different forks they make. I guess, between the 3 companies I listed, if you were looking at a dealer's stock product, I'd go with Virnig just because they advertise in their literature they use grade 50 & Grade 80 steel in their products, the others don't specify on their webiste (they *might* use a higher grade than A36, but I didn't see any spec sheets listing it). It's higher strength steel. It's pretty unanimous among dealers I've talked to around here that Virnig makes the better product, especially buckets and their price is higher as well. If you look at them, you can see they make a pretty good bucket. That's not to say Bradco's heavy-duty bucket isn't similar, but the dealers around here pretty much say Virnig is high quality and their buckets are the better of what they normally stock. I use buckets as an example because most of the dealers I've stopped in at, don't stock Virnig forks, but DO stock their buckets, especially their tooth buckets. I would think that CAT would have a solid product too as their stuff is generally used on heavy construction projects and their customers lose $$ if there is downtime (but their forks could just as well be a higher-end Bradco re-brand in yellow paint to for all we know). At one large dealer around here, that sells a lot of different brands including Virnig, Bradco, Berlon and a few others, they covet new and used CAT buckets like solid gold when they get them in. They claim they are top notch ....so there may be something to that. As for fork roll-back, isn't the roll back of forks a big function of how far your skid loader's attachment plate rolls back from near-vertical?? Good luck, let us know what you end up with.

Last edited:

napost

When I built my own forks, I included a taper at the back of the fork against the mounting plate. This feature requires the loader plate to tilt forward 2o'clock to connect. Once I lift up a little to drive away, tilt back is sufficient to roll loose items back towards loader even while going downhill. My forks are homemade, no particular rating, I use them around the farm on rough terrain. I lift bulk bags 1.2ton by the handles. They seem to do what I want them for.

alco

I skimmed through the thread and didn't see the info I was wondering about. What size tires are on your machine?

durallymax

I don't love any of them, except for the heavy ones on our wheel loader lol. Only ones that aren't bent. We have mostly virnig forks and one cat set. One virnig I put 6200# tines on, they still ended up twisted. The Cat set is twisted the least but also the newest.

I'm tempted to have a buddy cut out some new backing plates for them with big letters plasma cut that say "Nice Forks, Lift With Both Tines, No Digging" and another set that says "Beater Forks"

alco

I should have specified. I was trying t ask Farlsincharge what size tires are on his S175. That could very well be the issue with the forks not going all the way to the ground. The machine was originally designed to have 10x16.5s on it, but a lot of guys put 12x16.5s on them when they are due for replacement. This changes the height of the machine, and since the machine would sit higher with the 12x16.5 tires, it would likely not let the forks go all the way down to the ground.

StumpyWally

Liv'in the Dream ---------------> in Ballston, NY
Occupation
PE Civil Eng'r, Computer Sys. Mgr., Retired
This changes the height of the machine, and since the machine would sit higher with the 12x16.5 tires, it would likely not let the forks go all the way down to the ground.

Exactly right...My NH L220 was supposed to have 12x16.5 tires std., but I had to downsize to 10x16.5 so there was clearance for the Camoplast OTT. That the raised the machine back up, so I had to reduce the height of the boom bumpers, or loader stops, (which were sized for the 10x16.5 tires) to compensate.