• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Welding and cutting rods

td25c

Good job Hendrik! With the rock tooth ,general purpose,& wide ditching bucket's,and new thumb,you will be able to handle many jobs.

Hendrik

Good job Hendrik! With the rock tooth ,general purpose,& wide ditching bucket's,and new thumb,you will be able to handle many jobs.
Thanks mate, I have a few jobs to catch up on and then might get started on a single tyne ripper for the really hard stuff. I see a lot of little ex's with rippers and I should have one too.
Only thing I am wondering is what to put on the end of the ripper? Just hard face it, put on a tiger tooth or just do nothing?

td25c

Thanks mate, I have a few jobs to catch up on and then might get started on a single tyne ripper for the really hard stuff. I see a lot of little ex's with rippers and I should have one too.
Only thing I am wondering is what to put on the end of the ripper? Just hard face it, put on a tiger tooth or just do nothing?

I have welded "leaf springs" sections from trucks on excavator teeth .They are pretty hard and last a long time.Most of them are 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick.cut it a little longer than the old tooth and weld it on with a 7018 rod.

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
old thread i know, but.

I figured while we were showing off hoe thumb's i would put up a picture of mine,......now if i can just explain to the wife why i am taking a picture of her hands:D

I built this out of necessity for the 303.5 because I needed a thumb ASAP. that and CaT wanted $2k for one :rolleyes:. Built out of an old (new) cutting edge and everything else is pretty self explanatory.

Pj

Attachments

• Phone pic's 082.jpg
    Phone pic's 082.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 180
  • Phone pic's 080.jpg
    Phone pic's 080.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 180
  • Phone pic's 081.jpg
    Phone pic's 081.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 185
  • Phone pic's 079.jpg
    Phone pic's 079.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 180

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....

skyrptz

Occupation
self employed hdequipment repair welding, pulling
if you have an ac/dc welding machine use the dc circut if you want to make small cuts with a welding rod such as 7018 crank the heat up about 45 amps higher than you would for welding but previous to this soak a few 7018 rods in water for about an hour.Say you want to cut a peice of flat bar 1/4" thick start at one edge and push your way through
at the edge and keep digging on the edge of your cut if your not getting threw crank up your amps higher your cut will be probibbly be about 1/4" wide and not to pretty but it will severe the bar