• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Weekend rates?

Natman

Well.....let me just say that I was NOT real comfortable leaving my rig on the job site and hooked up, and didn't do it casually without any thought, and am fully aware of the risks. But the contractor made it clear enough that it was required (sure, I could have turned down the entire 2 or 3 thousand dollar job, no one was twisting my arm, but I figured the minimal risk was worth the reward) and then I made the mental leap that they were willing to pay for this somewhat hazardous situation. I'm charging them half time for the entire time the load is on the hook, probably about 24 hours (but only at $57.50 per hour, half my usual rate of $115.00 per), whether I'm asleep or snowboarding. Yeah that's right, I made $460.00 while sleeping! I just woke up and am going up to the ski area (3 miles away) until I get the call from them to go back to work. Screw being Mr. Nice Guy in this situation! Anyone gives me any static over my charging this, some insurance puke for instance, I'll explain how my equipment stays in a heated and secure building usually, not on a job site during a windy (but the right direction wind, we lucked out there, and I am more tuned into the wind then most being a small plane pilot in this area for 40 years, this wind direction will remain stable for days, and yes I am betting on it) NOT at risk in a pretty unusual situation.

Anything can happen, I get that, but no people would be at risk if it settled, so I went for it, what can I say? The fact I dropped 6 K yesterday on a new 5 ton dump bed trailer may have influenced my decision somewhat, but not really. This project has already interfered with other work, another reason to stick to my guns, if this multi million dollar farming operation's insurance company can't afford $1380.00 (projected $ for all this standing by time) for me putting my equipment at risk while I'm missing other work, I'll find another line of work. And, let's not forget that I am NOT billing them extra for working on a holiday! Working on President's Day, I'm sure you guys all took the day off, right?!

Last edited:

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I understand why you did it. Sometimes things dictate certain actions. As long as no one was at risk of injury If it evey comes up again it would be prudent to have the renters sign off on a dated document stating that no one would be in the area, and telling you to leave it suspended, stating they were taking all risk for damage to both their property and your machine.

Natman

Excellent idea OIH, I will keep it in mind if the occasion ever arises again, thanks for the input.

The job is wrapped up, no surprises, it all went well. I am billing them for 27 (TWENTY SEVEN) hours of standby time, about $1500.00, chump change in the big scheme of things, along with 6 hours of regular time. I told the contractor that he is welcome to have the insurance company call me if anyone there has any questions, I am willing and ready to stand by my bill. I seriously doubt anyone will squawk.