• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Water proof grease question !!

linc_man

Im not i grease wiz but i know a little. Ok our Komatsu pc228 demos a house a day, five days a week, year around. That means the boom is constantly being sprayed with the 1.5" fire hose. So we have trouble with keeping grease in right places. I need a grease that will stay put a little better, and not water down at all. We have always used the local co-op extreme tacky grease, witch i do love but just cant grit the constant water pressure...
Help would be appricated grease experts !!!!
Thanks

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
Im not i grease wiz but i know a little. Ok our Komatsu pc228 demos a house a day, five days a week, year around. That means the boom is constantly being sprayed with the 1.5" fire hose. So we have trouble with keeping grease in right places. I need a grease that will stay put a little better, and not water down at all. We have always used the local co-op extreme tacky grease, witch i do love but just cant grit the constant water pressure...
Thanks

Check out Schaeffer Oil.Go to their site,plenty of greases there for every app.

ironjunkie

Thanks

Synthetic maybe? But what I really wanted to ask... 5 houses a week? wow! Is this a result of the bank foreclosures? That's a lot of tear downs!

Ozboc

Is it possible to get some simple guards made up to cover the pivot points where your loosing the grease to direct water spray ? does not need to be to elaborate and can be made of sheet metal "L : shape with a lip

cjplanthire

Occupation
Plant contractor
i do similar work and i use german greese, in the screw in type cartridge , it comes in a blue and white screw in cartridge n and the greese to use is marine greese ,its blue in color , once a week to each pin ,its great stuff, you can also get red greese high temp stuff but its not as good, or you could put black breaker greese in this would last a month , but expect to buy a new greese gun each time you go greesing if using black greese,
heres a tip for using black greese put the greese gun in the pump compartment of the machine full of greese ,the heat will warm the greese and leave it easier pumped!

linc_man

i do similar work and i use german greese, in the screw in type cartridge , it comes in a blue and white screw in cartridge n and the greese to use is marine greese ,its blue in color , once a week to each pin ,its great stuff, you can also get red greese high temp stuff but its not as good, or you could put black breaker greese in this would last a month , but expect to buy a new greese gun each time you go greesing if using black greese,
heres a tip for using black greese put the greese gun in the pump compartment of the machine full of greese ,the heat will warm the greese and leave it easier pumped!

Yea I stick the gun in the exhaust pipe sometimes !!
So you think marine grease would hurt if I greased the whole machine with it ?
Maybe even every other greasing use it or something ?
Thanks!!

linc_man

Synthetic maybe? But what I really wanted to ask... 5 houses a week? wow! Is this a result of the bank foreclosures? That's a lot of tear downs!

Big city, LOTS of old houses, and unlimited supply of cans....
if the lots are close together maybe two a day!! (long day)

cjplanthire

Occupation
Plant contractor
Yea I stick the gun in the exhaust pipe sometimes !!
So you think marine grease would hurt if I greased the whole machine with it ?
Maybe even every other greasing use it or something ?
Thanks!!

use it every time the only down fall is it may be slightly deerer, but its cheaper than buying pins and bushings!

blitz138

Synthetic wont really change anything. Synthetics can solve a lot of problems, temperature, shearing, more viscose, but water washout would not be changed by using a synthetic. Marine grease will work but it probably will not have the EP properties it should. Stay away from any lithium greases as they typically do not hold up to water wash out very well. Lithium complex grease is the most common, Ive seen plenty of "marine" type greases that are lithium and they do not hold up very well.

Calcium sulphate and Aluminum complex greases are extremely resistant to water wash out. Id suggest you use

http://www.belray.com/sites/default/files/pds_files/Termalene Heavy Duty Construction Grease_0.pdf

I can get you some samples if you want to try it.

Last edited:

skata

Big city, LOTS of old houses, and unlimited supply of cans....
if the lots are close together maybe two a day!! (long day)

are these homes the city took over? its such a shame to see homes neglected and tore down.

find any surprises when demoing?

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
Here you go linc man--from Schaeffer: #221 Moly Ultra NLGI #1 and # 2 0° to 350° Aluminum Complex 500°F
Multipurpose, extreme pressure grease for hot and wet applications.
Steel industry, mining and extreme duty formulation.
Extra MoS2

linc_man

are these homes the city took over? its such a shame to see homes neglected and tore down.

find any surprises when demoing?

Yes they are. Also WAY past restoring! Habitat for Humanity rebuilds on about half of them.
As far as surprises go its everything shy of a body we see!! (but give it time) haha

linc_man

Here you go linc man--from Schaeffer: #221 Moly Ultra NLGI #1 and # 2 0° to 350° Aluminum Complex 500°F
Multipurpose, extreme pressure grease for hot and wet applications.
Steel industry, mining and extreme duty formulation.
Extra MoS2

How will this perform to my extra red-n-tacky grease ?

blitz138

Extra red-n-tacky is a lithium complex grease and in my experience doesnt hold up well in water

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
Yes that is what I have began to see my friend thanks for the help !!

Trust me,Schaeffer grease[any of their products actually]is the schitz.I bring my backhoe to a high pressure car wash frequently.Water is never an issue on my pivot points.

dodgeram22871

Occupation
plantfitter
hi, i had this problem here in ireland and i done was got orings and put on over the joints it worked.

linc_man

I went to Napa today and luckily they had the schaffers #221 so I bought 3 tubes to give her a try !!