• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Washington Iron Works and thier machines

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
WAY Off Topic, But I Cannot Think Straight After Iron Art Posted That 046!

A few Madill 075 Pics, for those who havens seen one.

Attachments

• 075 #90077 2.jpg
    075 #90077 2.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 3,419
  • 075 #90077 1.jpg
    075 #90077 1.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 3,412
  • 075 #90077 3.jpg
    075 #90077 3.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 3,362
  • 1950670_1.jpg
    1950670_1.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 3,340
  • 91.jpg
    91.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 3,340

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
That machine was owned by myself and my partner in the mid 70,s. It was our 3rd and final yarder. We bought the machine used from Ross Equipment in Eugene, OR. The photos are behind Devils Lake on the OR coast (East about 2 miles from what is now Lincoln City back then it would have been Oceanlake, OR). I memory serves me it was powered by the 555 Cummins V-8, which like most V series diesels should have been used as a boat anchor. Spent more time getting repaired than working!!! That machine had a 3rd guyline from the factory. If you have looked under forestry operations you'll see some great pics i took while driving for W.E. Mcfarland of Ken Fallons 208 in big spruce behind Neskowin, OR. What a horse that machine was. Anyway keep em coming I love to see them!

I had been looking at the HEF for a couple of weeks, but nothing really great as far as logging. Then you posted those pics, so I joined! So thank YOU, and I know right where Devils Lake is. Been to Ken F's house there several times over the last 10 years or so. He still logs in there occasionally too, doesnt he? I rode in there one day (in the blue KW lowbed with the old man himself) in 2006 when he has a TSY255 and shovel side in there.

Iron Art

Occupation
Retired power plant control operator
Contract Logger, Yes the wheels are Smith- Miller. It was difficult to find approprite tires and wheels of the right size to fit the scale. Actually the tires determined the scale of the yarder, 1/20. Those Madills had 14/24s which are 50 inchs tall. The Hyd lines are #14 wire with the plastic coating removed and the copper wire removed. Yes I do plan on selling this yarder but thats not the objective in sharing it here. I have built other models but mostly representing old farming equipment. My models are all steel. I have another madill,046 on a tank carrier, and a American hyd shovel, (the old block steer type.) Fred

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
Contract Logger, Yes the wheels are Smith- Miller. It was difficult to find approprite tires and wheels of the right size to fit the scale. Actually the tires determined the scale of the yarder, 1/20. Those Madills had 14/24s which are 50 inchs tall. The Hyd lines are #14 wire with the plastic coating removed and the copper wire removed. Yes I do plan on selling this yarder but thats not the objective in sharing it here. I have built other models but mostly representing old farming equipment. My models are all steel. I have another madill,046 on a tank carrier, and a American hyd shovel, (the old block steer type.) Fred

OK, How soon can you post pics of the others? PS- I wasnt accusing you of selling, I was more like curious to purchase!!! A. Have you decided on a price, B is it sold, and C, will you build commissioned items? I can hardly stand it!

And I probably cannot afford them anyway, LOL!

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
Washington 108 Grapple Yarder, Longview Wa, 1970

Weyerhaeuser had a bunch of these 108's, but not many were built on the crawler- most were 4-axle rubber mounted. Anyway, they logged at night with them, as did several other big outfits. This machine died on Mt St Helens, and is currently underwater in Castle Lake, near the mountain.

Attachments

• 2-16-2010 7;41;10 PM.jpg
    2-16-2010 7;41;10 PM.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 3,458

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
PS-today I bought a scanner and this is my second scan with it off a photograph. Once I figure all this out, I'll be able to show you some great stuff, such as this, I hope.

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
Seeing that picture reminded me of a story told to me by a guy I worked with one time.
He worked for Weyerhauser in the mid 80's, I'm not sure if he said in Oregon or Washington, but it was at night under a swing yarder. He was the hook tender. Anyway, we said the shadows that the lights would throw out into the brush caused many a choker setter to take off running for their lives, thinking the world was falling down on them. Their turn over rate was kinda high on the brush crews because of it!
I cant imangine why!

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
PS-today I bought a scanner and this is my second scan with it off a photograph. Once I figure all this out, I'll be able to show you some great stuff, such as this, I hope.

Here is a great site with a lot of scanner tips that will probably answer any questions that you may have along the way.Your scans look good.Ron G
http://www.scantips.com/

Iron Art

Occupation
I remember those 108s logging at night along the 2500 line near Soda Springs. There is another tracked piece of logging equiptment just south west of Castle lake in the bottom of a draw. I don't know what it is but its upside down and hard to tell what it may be. Should be grown up around it by now, the blast zone is changing pretty fast. Fred

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
This photo was taken on the 2500, east of Baker- this is one of those machines you saw. The yarder in Castle Canyon is a Skagit GT-5, another night logger, larger than a 108 but similar. It was Weyerhaeuser #223, and is also close now to being underwater. the grapples had water lapping against them when I was last there in 1994. There is also a D8 tail cat, and a fire truck still on that job. This yarder was on a spur below that machine at blast time and is underwater now, along with its tailcat and a 30-B shovel.
At some point I will get those pics posted.

Iron Art

Occupation
Contract Logger,
Interesting on the Castle Lake blast zone. I didn't realize that there were more equipment in the canyon that is now a lake. The lake is at a level that should never get any higher so the above water equiptment will aways be there for the energetic to view. Thanks for the rundown. Fred

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
EGS- Night logging was to get the most logs they could, as fast as they could. Worked those things around the clock, 3 8-hour shifts, for awhile. Just yard and deck, loaders and trucks would come in and load out later on-- weeks later. Didnt last, probably just too dangerous.

Iron Art- There is alot of equipment on that old mountain yet. A friend of mine has been deer hunting in the alders along the N Toutle- below Coal Banks and the upper Tower Road area. He says there are several Kenworth log trucks that the erosion has uncovered in there the last few years. Dont doubt that a bit. Upside down and twisted in the banks of the river- came from Camp Baker no doubt. Still missing alot of logging equipment and gear up there.

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
Facory Advertisements for the Washington 108 'Skylok"

The crawler mounted Weyerhaeuser rig is set up for night logging, and is likely the same unit we saw in the photograph. Someone told me once they only built 4 or 5 on tracks, dont know if that is true or not.

Attachments

• 2-17-2010 10;13;56 PM.jpg
    2-17-2010 10;13;56 PM.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 3,044
  • 2-17-2010 10;13;48 PM.jpg
    2-17-2010 10;13;48 PM.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 3,095

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
Lost Washington 208. Scanned Pics

On the Olympic Peninsula of Washington State there is alot of old rusting iron, hidden from sight, mostly behind gates or locked away otherwise. This Washington 208 yarder is owned by a gentleman who ran a ceder shake mill, just off Hwy 101, at an undisclosed location between Hoquiam and Forks. When his mill operation shut down in the mid 1980's, he didnt have the heart to sell the iron off. In one of the outbuildings that used to house part of the mill, this 208 rests dry and at peace from the elements some 20 years later. When I am in the neighborhood, I like to stop in and see her, but its been several years now. He bought her brand new in 71' and says this is where she will stay, right here, safe from the scrappers torches.

Attachments

• 2-28-2010 4;48;30 PMa.jpg
    2-28-2010 4;48;30 PMa.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 2,933
  • 2-28-2010 4;48;30 PMb.jpg
    2-28-2010 4;48;30 PMb.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 2,943
  • 2-28-2010 4;48;30 PMc.jpg
    2-28-2010 4;48;30 PMc.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 2,919

Iron Art

Occupation
I thought that Washington was gone from that building. We were out to Forks looking for some Madill parts and stopped by and looked the 208 over. Been some time ago. Fred

580bruce

I would love to see the blast zone pics.I did some hydroseeding around the Headquarters camp years ago,There was iron all over the place.This was about'91 or so.

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
I would love to see the blast zone pics.I did some hydroseeding around the Headquarters camp years ago,There was iron all over the place.This was about'91 or so.

I posted a few blast zone pics in the dozers category. Thread is titled 'this is for those who hate dozers' I think. Check em' out.