• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Washing Grader

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
I find our machines with fenders stay much cleaner than the ones with.
Generally I don't have much need for fenders. But if pushing snow on unfrozen roads it can be a problem.

vernier

ovrszd
I recently bought a 143H (low hrs.)with rust issues, only because the machine was not washed or cleaned after it was in the corrosive environment when plowing snow. I have a 140G that is ten years older than this one & it is pretty much rust free. Some counties and municipalitys are very good about keeping things clean and some are not. Those that let their equipment sit and rust away are losing money when they trade it in. Corrosion not only affects the metal but wiring and even radiators. Keep up the good work!

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Fenders are awesome to keep windows clean. Our Volvo only plowed snow a couple winters, and I washed it every time I went back to the barn, and it is rusting like crazy. I think a good paint job makes a big difference as well as the washing. The L70 loader I run in winter now was rusted and faded. It was done over a few years ago, and there is still not a speck of rust on it. A clean machine seems to work better.

Cat 140M AWD

Occupation
Motor grader operator
I wash and wax my machine every month I’ve found keeping it waxed really helps keep it clean generally all I have to do is use hose and scrub brush with soap and machine looks brand new got my Deere machine and one of my cat machines done before we get ready to put wings on for the winter.

Attachments

• 950ECE24-0480-4423-8280-174BC0A9595E.jpeg
    950ECE24-0480-4423-8280-174BC0A9595E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 47
  • 00C6EDE2-6656-49D3-A295-B86D1ED2B112.jpeg
    00C6EDE2-6656-49D3-A295-B86D1ED2B112.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 42

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Always interesting to see how different things are in different sections of this country!

I'm assuming you have many unpaved roads to maintain? I'm sure there are some here in New York State but even here in what I would call the rural part of the state I would have to think hard to come up with one within a couple hour's drive from here.

The few graders I might have seen in the last ten years are used to maintain roads in quarries or grave beds and the are probably 1970's vintage if that new!

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
ovrszd
I recently bought a 143H (low hrs.)with rust issues, only because the machine was not washed or cleaned after it was in the corrosive environment when plowing snow. I have a 140G that is ten years older than this one & it is pretty much rust free. Some counties and municipalitys are very good about keeping things clean and some are not. Those that let their equipment sit and rust away are losing money when they trade it in. Corrosion not only affects the metal but wiring and even radiators. Keep up the good work!

Thank you.

I agree. I wash the Township Grader at my house, using my equipment and on my time. Doesn't cost the Township anything. Same with general maintenance. They provide the grease, oil and filters. I provide the labor.

Once in awhile I'll leave the Grader parked outside at my house overnight. I always feel guilty. Normally parked in a shed with the door shut. Sunlight is your enemy.

We had our last Grader 8 years. Several times during the last half of that someone would ask me if we got a new Grader? Nope, just freshly washed. :)

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Always interesting to see how different things are in different sections of this country!

I'm assuming you have many unpaved roads to maintain? I'm sure there are some here in New York State but even here in what I would call the rural part of the state I would have to think hard to come up with one within a couple hour's drive from here.

The few graders I might have seen in the last ten years are used to maintain roads in quarries or grave beds and the are probably 1970's vintage if that new!
I maintain 50 miles of gravel roads. Only time I see pavement is when running on the State Hiways getting to the next gravel road. I've never ran with the blade in float.