• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

warner went off cliff

jimrr

Occupation
marine engineer/ at sea
my old warner swasey 500 went off the high road today, I dived out through the broken front window and missed the bucket as it went by!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
well, it lodged against a tree and still maintained oil pressure so i shut it down and went after my old D47U and 'moved' the hill side............ ( not too easy on a hill side anyway when your RH clutch and brake are worthless. So...... i dug out under the old warner swasey 500 enough to get it almost level and got it to the work site by dark but dang it............!.......... none of this would of happened if someone could of told me why the little 371 gm diesel is only running on 2 and then 3 cylinders.........it isn't gettting enough diesel.........it stalls out............ no black smoke. new filters, full flow from tank to pump for 30 secounds..... it's like it wants more governor fuel but it just isn't getting it. i don't think it's getting full fuel...........or pressure?

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Check the position of the blower door. It might be tripped shut.

Does your engine have a separate shutdown lever? You should also run a search on this site looking for Detroits. I'm thinking there was a thread awhile back with some of the same symptoms.

Good Luck!

skyrptz

Occupation
self employed hdequipment repair welding, pulling
check your fuel pressure from the fuel pump it should be about 45 psi then check your fuel cross over lines for proper oil puddling where the tube goes through the nut. make sure your rack is moving freely.also your injectors have built in screens that could plug up , how is the govoner is it free moving

jimrr

Occupation
marine engineer/ at sea
thanks for the replies guys. I put a guage on the discharge line of the pump before the primary filter. very slight increase in press. ((still running about 10 indicated psi)) (this with two guages!) chilton book says measure flow on rtn. line but i havn't done that but i ran a bunch of injector can treatment thru there for 2 days, new diesel, and that new pump.... i think it's running as good as it should run. the blower door indicated open. yes, i has shut down lever...it gets full throw. was running bad b4 accident, nothing is blocking fuel line from tank thru secoundary filter to pump.......that line flows full blast and will fill a coffee can without slowing so the pump gets all it wants. i am happy with it now and it has dug a half mile of trench but i think there must be some oem restriction on the rtn line to the tank, it is all 3/8 inch line and to maintain 45 psi on that all the way to the return to the tank requires a lot of pump so mabey there is a built in restriction after all the fuel gets to the injectors.... this would put the pressure up, insure the injectors have 45psi before letting the fuel free to rtn. to the tank.
the throttle (rack) is bolted solid to rated speed I havn't gotten to work on that yet, indications are the governor works as you can see the smoke blow when you lug it! .................
$68 in new 40 wt. oil, the injector cleaner and the new fuel pump seem to make it happy for now but i will, you can bet, get to those injector screens, the throttle and the e shut down on that door next time it comes up for maintenance.'
thanks again..............i will try to enclose a pic of the whole mess here.

jimrr

Occupation
marine engineer/ at sea
and futhermore..............!

so.........i put that pic up in excavators last week and now it won't let me post it here........i can find no explanation. so..... my pics are in excavators or old iron under ''it all works but the swivel post.''
see you on the next thread.

Komatsu 150

thanks for the replies guys. I put a guage on the discharge line of the pump before the primary filter. very slight increase in press. ((still running about 10 indicated psi)) (this with two guages!) chilton book says measure flow on rtn. line but i havn't done that but i ran a bunch of injector can treatment thru there for 2 days, new diesel, and that new pump.... i think it's running as good as it should run. the blower door indicated open. yes, i has shut down lever...it gets full throw. was running bad b4 accident, nothing is blocking fuel line from tank thru secoundary filter to pump.......that line flows full blast and will fill a coffee can without slowing so the pump gets all it wants. i am happy with it now and it has dug a half mile of trench but i think there must be some oem restriction on the rtn line to the tank, it is all 3/8 inch line and to maintain 45 psi on that all the way to the return to the tank requires a lot of pump so mabey there is a built in restriction after all the fuel gets to the injectors.... this would put the pressure up, insure the injectors have 45psi before letting the fuel free to rtn. to the tank.
the throttle (rack) is bolted solid to rated speed I havn't gotten to work on that yet, indications are the governor works as you can see the smoke blow when you lug it! .................
$68 in new 40 wt. oil, the injector cleaner and the new fuel pump seem to make it happy for now but i will, you can bet, get to those injector screens, the throttle and the e shut down on that door next time it comes up for maintenance.'
thanks again..............i will try to enclose a pic of the whole mess here.

On some engines - not saying this is that way but - there is a restricted fitting on the return line to build pressure. This often looks like a standard elbow. When the injection guy looses it he will replace it with a standard fitting and drive you crazy for a few months.

jimrr

Occupation
marine engineer/ at sea
thanks for that bit of knowledge that only experience knows!