• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Waldon WD80 Dozer?

John White

Any one have any information on a Waldon WD 80 dozer? Are they any good.? Any idea what the weight and h.p is? Who were they made by and parts availability?

kleener

Occupation
battler
Relatively recent machine.up to 1999?
Designed by Ricky Heflin, Jess Davis, employees of Waldon.
This is a small (10,000#) tracked dozer designed to fit a market niche just below the Deere 450 and the Cat D3. It also found a good market in the Forestry industry. It featured a Cummins or Deere engine of around 75 hp, Rexroth dual hydrostat drives, single-lever track control (a year ahead of Cat!), and Berco tracks.

There were some problems with the planetary gearboxes at about 500 hours, the track frame-to main frame bolt joint tended to loosen (later units were welded). other than that they were good solid units . You might turn the relief settings on the hydrostat pumps down a little to protect the gearboxes.

Seem to be a fair few around, parts ?
Selling for about $20k plus in the us of a

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
I've seen one once. I didn't realize that it was a Waldon design. I thought that it was a rebadge of a (New Holland maybe?) I can't remember but I know that there is a sister to it under another name. The one I saw at the dealer is the only one I've ever seen in person.

John White

Relatively recent machine.up to 1999?
Designed by Ricky Heflin, Jess Davis, employees of Waldon.
This is a small (10,000#) tracked dozer designed to fit a market niche just below the Deere 450 and the Cat D3. It also found a good market in the Forestry industry. It featured a Cummins or Deere engine of around 75 hp, Rexroth dual hydrostat drives, single-lever track control (a year ahead of Cat!), and Berco tracks.

There were some problems with the planetary gearboxes at about 500 hours, the track frame-to main frame bolt joint tended to loosen (later units were welded). other than that they were good solid units . You might turn the relief settings on the hydrostat pumps down a little to protect the gearboxes.

Seem to be a fair few around, parts ?
Selling for about $20k plus in the us of a

Thanks a million Kleener. You seem to be knowledgeable about them. Did or do you happen to own one? I did a Google search and couldnt find a thing or any thing about them, or on this site. I have a chance to buy one for around $11K. I've owned a Case 350 a MF 200 a Allis HD4 and presently a Mitsubishi BD2j. I've got stay in that weight and size catagory. I do small jobs. The thing that got me intersted in the Waldon is that it is "joy" stick controls. I would love that. I finally found a dealer that sold them at one time. According to him, they only made them in 1998 & 99 and made about 60 of them. The big question is parts availability. Did they use generic parts? Any more info appreciated.

kleener

Occupation
battler
Never seen one, I got that info from various sites.. would guess that engine, tranny etc are generic".

Ricky Heflin and Jess Davis now work for Davis Precision Design, maybe you could go to the horses mouth, contact the designers and ask them.. can only ignore you at worst.

I wish we could get gear at that sort of price over here, where a 1950 TD9 still sells for about $11-15k