• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

wain roy bucket repair

OffDIGGIN

i have a few quick change buckets to fix. the pin boss is really
loose and i would like to replace it. not sure line boring is cost effective to do. any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMAG1010.jpg
    IMAG1010.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 746

KevD815

I've worked on a number of those in the past. I've had good results just welding up the bores by hand and grinding them back into shape with a die grinder and a good carbide double cut bit. No big deal. Line boring would be a waste of time given the size and the tendancy of those bores to wear eccentrically. If you really wanted a perfect bore just weld in a new boss. I'm not sure if they're available from Wain Roy but they can made by any decent machinist with a lathe.

Another thing to keep in mind is that style coupler tends to wear at the front of the bucket attachment and on the machine side of things. The company i was working for was particularly hard on these buckets and by the time it was necessary to tighten up the bore and replace the pin, the whole coupler needed attention anyway...

OffDIGGIN

I just bought a new backhoe so coupler is new. I can make new bosses on my own lathe. I was thinking of just cutting the hole thing off and replacing it. I have a bucket that has never been on machine to make a jig for welding.

dirty4fun

If you were closer I would be happy to sell you a brand new one that I bought for a fellow at an auction, that changed his mind, latter.

don 300D

Occupation
welder
Have a machine shop make a new bushing or if u have a lathe do it u r self . i rebuilt r buckets we wear them out they get real loose keeper that holds pin breaks . we have two sizes 1-3/4" & 2-1/2" pins