• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Wacker Neuson code reading

dbs

Looking at buying a Wacker Neuson ET90 2017 with 600hr. A 9 ton midi excavator. Dealer says trouble codes can only be read with dealer equipment that is proprietary. Anyone know if this is true and if not how these machines are diagnosed without dealer equipment.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
The trouble code aside, it's a pretty outstanding excavator.

dbs

I’d like to buy the machine but I hesitate due to having to haul it to the dealer when something goes wrong that requires code reading. All my machines are older and do not require code reading. How do owners deal with this once the warranty is over? FYI KSSS I bought my first excavator a Tak tb53fr many years ago after seeing your posts on that machine it is still running great with no issues.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I am glad that the Taki has served you well. I don't know that there is an easy solution for requiring the computer to read the codes. Other than to try and find machines that don't require that, which are getting more and more difficult to find. The trouble codes should be shown on the display (if I recall correctly), calling the dealer and giving them the code, should help trouble shoot. Perhaps the issue can be addressed without needing the dealer or the system may have to be reset which would require the WN computer, likely depends on the issue. Maybe, negotiating with the dealer on the cost of onsite service calls if required might be an option.

dbs

I am glad that the Taki has served you well. I don't know that there is an easy solution for requiring the computer to read the codes. Other than to try and find machines that don't require that, which are getting more and more difficult to find. The trouble codes should be shown on the display (if I recall correctly), calling the dealer and giving them the code, should help trouble shoot. Perhaps the issue can be addressed without needing the dealer or the system may have to be reset which would require the WN computer, likely depends on the issue. Maybe, negotiating with the dealer on the cost of onsite service calls if required might be an option.
I ended up getting a Takeuchi TB280 FR, 2015 with 1100hr for 70K. Thanks again for the advice.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
I ended up getting a Takeuchi TB280 FR, 2015 with 1100hr for 70K.

Congrats!!

Keep us posted with feedback on the machine. I plan on buying an excavator in ~1 year, and from what I am hearing the Takeuchi is a good choice. Be nice to hear from another owner too.

dbs

Congrats!!

Keep us posted with feedback on the machine. I plan on buying an excavator in ~1 year, and from what I am hearing the Takeuchi is a good choice. Be nice to hear from another owner too.
If you are looking used United rentals can be a good choice if you can find a reasonable price. They generally take good care of their machines. Can be hard to find a good price from them unless they are in a hurry to get rid of them and they will drop the price alot. The machine I bought was on Auction Time and I was able to speak to the owner Which helped to allay alot of my worries. Iron planet can be good because they usually have a presale inspection and are pretty comprehensive. Auction Time also has alot of equipment but no inspection but you may be able to talk to the owner and have an inspection you pay for and arrange on site. United Rentals wanted 95K for a similiar machine to the one I bought but would have had 2-3 x the hours. Buying used is always with some risks but the savings can be substantial if you are willing to live with some risk. Takeuchis are pretty bullet proof is they have been shown some care. Their engineering is great. The only downside is the cab may be small as they are made for smaller people than us hefty Americans.