• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Wabco scrapers at work

weaknees

Occupation
Earthmoving Contractor
Phil,

The words "fuel" and "economy" probably do not go together in this case, unless you mean the 353Ft contributing to the economy of the gulf states. Actually, not too bad, between 60 and 80 litres total per hour depending on long haul/short haul, not bad for 1050 hp, some tractors with 800 hp I know use that.

-Steve

terexkerry

IT is a nice looking photo of your machine.(I will now go and wash my mouth with soap)Joking aside we had to fill the front up a couple of times a day,she was very thirsty that 333.Take it easy Kerry

Maurice Muenks

Occupation
Owner of an independant heavy equiptment repair bu
Gordon
I'm trying to post those pictures of the two scrapers that we have that our dad & his brother orginally bought for their construction company. One of my brothers & I rescued the D from the scrap man (one of two ever existed, modified for operator convience 1 year after purchase, by Joe Muenks, may he rest in peace). The 222A has a hancock bowl along with the D-Pull.
Maurice

Attachments

• PA260940.JPG
    PA260940.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 1,268
  • PA260938.JPG
    PA260938.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 1,440
Last edited:

Jim Irwin

Steve,

I used to return to the cut in my 252ft with the rear engine in idle, saved me a lot in fuel on an hourly rate. But if youre moving material per cu metre, I used to move as fast as my 252 ft (and back) could take it.

Maurice Muenks

Occupation
Jim,

Used to load that 222A in under a minute rolling off both sides and some of the paddles bringing dirt back down real easy when my dad had the business and we worked by the yard 30 years ago.
Steve,

I used to return to the cut in my 252ft with the rear engine in idle, saved me a lot in fuel on an hourly rate. But if youre moving material per cu metre, I used to move as fast as my 252 ft (and back) could take it.

tournaphil

Phil,The words "fuel" and "economy" probably do not go together in this case, unless you mean the 353Ft contributing to the economy of the gulf states. -Steve
Hey Steve, you are dead right, I guess it's a bit like suggesting WD40 can cure arthritus.

Brenlow

This is not quite so epic but a bit more recent - topsoil strip and stockpile for the Keepit Dam upgrade Coffer dam base.

Similar area Steve..............My photo was at Muswellbrook, but about 30 years earlier, Becareful though......1 thing I realised going from single power to twin is that those GMs on the back of an elevating scraper are not the best way to go... loading bulldust, ya can block up the filters in less than an hour

Showpony

Similar area Steve..............My photo was at Muswellbrook, but about 30 years earlier, Becareful though......1 thing I realised going from single power to twin is that those GMs on the back of an elevating scraper are not the best way to go... loading bulldust, ya can block up the filters in less than an hour

Hi Brendan
Did you work out a cure? I would think keeping your foot out of the rear motor would help, if the operator has functioning ears.
We are putting our 333ft into material that can kick up a lot of dust, so any ideas you have would be appreciated.
Nick

Maurice Muenks

Occupation
Snowpony
Have you ever tried a Turbo II precleaner on the rear engine. It sure helped on the unspeakable scrapers (green) machines. Worked real good on a 755 John Deere loader as the dust rolled down the windshield. Sure extended the time between having to blow out the air cleaner filter.

Shaunrh

Occupation
Heavy duty fitter
Nick,
Over the years we have modified the air intakes on 639`s and Michigan twin powers.Some of the 639`s had the air intake tubes run along the side of the bowl and neck so the air was sucked from the front of the machine.On others we extended the intake tube straight up about 3 metres and hinged it at the bottom so it could be folded down for transport.Keeping in mind the tube needs to be braced.
Shaun

RayC

Occupation
Roading Manager
Heres a couple of photos previously posted showing raised air cleaners

Attachments

• 333FT%20rear%20view%20%28Small%29.jpg
    333FT%20rear%20view%20%28Small%29.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 1,393
  • 333FT%20end%20view%20%28Small%29.jpg
    333FT%20end%20view%20%28Small%29.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 1,109

Brenlow

That was 1 of my scrapers Ray. Turbo 2s certainly helped but if the conditions are bad you just have to check the rear filters reguarly.........just a few notes... 2 stroke Detroits turboed and blown suck in plenty of air, which is why they are a lot more suceptable to "dusting" the motors. Elevators normaly spin a lot faster on Wabcos.......333FTs quicker than 353s, so they create more dust. Not as big of an issue on Open Bowls. Conditions in some parts of Aust maybe worse than a lot of other climates around the world. Dry grass can block the pre cleaners solid, so watch them also when stripping or even just hauling across grassy paddocks. We had at least 2 occasions where the filters were that restricted that they ruptured the rubber elbows on the air intake so if that happens then you're drawing everything into the motor unfiltered. About the only thing I could suggest is to plan loading direction in relation to wind direction/speed when working in dry dusty conditions.

Brainzie

That was 1 of my scrapers Ray. Turbo 2s certainly helped but if the conditions are bad you just have to check the rear filters reguarly.........just a few notes... 2 stroke Detroits turboed and blown suck in plenty of air, which is why they are a lot more suceptable to "dusting" the motors. Elevators normaly spin a lot faster on Wabcos.......333FTs quicker than 353s, so they create more dust. Not as big of an issue on Open Bowls. Conditions in some parts of Aust maybe worse than a lot of other climates around the world. Dry grass can block the pre cleaners solid, so watch them also when stripping or even just hauling across grassy paddocks. We had at least 2 occasions where the filters were that restricted that they ruptured the rubber elbows on the air intake so if that happens then you're drawing everything into the motor unfiltered. About the only thing I could suggest is to plan loading direction in relation to wind direction/speed when working in dry dusty conditions.

on youtube there is that video of that 333 or 353 working in a limestone quarry with a fancy looking basket all covered in over the back of the bowl, doesnt appear to let clouds of dust go over the rear motor, might be worth a look if you havent already seen it.

Showpony

Thankyou, I'm thinking raised intakes,we're putting new air cleaners on both engines and have decided to go with the tubular rather than the original periphial intakes, so 2m intake tubes should be straight forward. The site where the 333 will be working does not allow to many options in terms of loading direction but the prevailing easterly and northwest winds will keep dust away from the rear intakes.
Brendan you mention grass blocking the intakes, I was wondering if you ever had a filter fire. We used to run JD 6000 series forage harvesters if grass blocked the intake screen on the air cleaner precleaner then the engine would create so much vacum in the duct to the filter it would suck exhuast fumes back up the evacuator venturi and set fire to the filter.
This problem afflicts a lot of our modern ag tractors, snazzy styling and panoramic visibility instead of functional air intakes.
One of the many problems that occour when design engineers never work the gear they design.
Nick

weaknees

Occupation
Earthmoving Contractor
Thanks Kerry!!

Showpony, Brendan,

I have had trouble both with the filters blocking in a few hours, and the rear radiator blocking with grass fragments. I have thought about installing a reversable fan like the big grain harvestors have, you pull up, let the dust clear so you don't block it both ways, hit reverse, and should clear most of the fins. Or install a shroud that pulls the cooling air from above the radiator to avoid the grass plume from each rear wheel. I know a farmer who did this for his Cat D6 farm tractor and it works very well. The dam base took about three days to strip topsoil, and after that dust was no problem, so you tend to forget about the dust problem untl it next occurs.

-Steve

Jim Irwin

With my 252ft I fitted two large pulley belts hanging from the rear grab handles. The rocking action of the scraper kept the belts rubbing the shrowd, much like a pair of windscreen wipers.

End of grass problems largely, you still have to clean it, but not as often!

its simple, but it works!!