• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Wabco - c pull

td25c

Yes willie the holmes is just as important as the table & chair.I really dont mind wrenching on equipment ScottAR,I just hate doing it in the middle of a job but thats usually when something go's wrong.I even got to do a little surgery on the block where the rod went through,that was real cute.Kind of has a frankenstein monster look now:D

Attachments

• Blair's pictures 367.JPG
    Blair's pictures 367.JPG
    386.7 KB · Views: 1,859
  • Blair's pictures 369.JPG
    Blair's pictures 369.JPG
    288 KB · Views: 1,895

heavylift

MMM... inspection port, now we can check to see what kind of parts your hot rod has in it,,:)

Nice fix by the way, is this a temp thing until you find a replacement, or run it until she's done..

TCS

I don't see any reason why that shouldn't work where the damage is,especially if those three cracks were relief drilled at the ends of them. Did you slather the block and patch with some thickened epoxy like Marine-Tex or did you use something else?

td25c

Thats funny you mention the inspection port heavylift,the farmer that we were building the lake for said we may as well knock a few more holes in the block then next time we could work on the engine without pullin the oil pan :D I'l probably just keep running it like it is,the patch seems to hold fine with no leaks.We did a complete in frame overhaul on the bottom end,rolled in new rod & main bearings,new piston & sleeves.I did take the cylinder heads back to shop to rework them,had to replace one bent valve and just lapped the rest with some compound.I also replaced all 32 valve springs.The hardest part was getting all the metal out of the engine,I pulled the blower and it looked like a bomb went off in the air box,oil pan was the same.Spent allot of time using a shop vac & magnet.

I ordered the engine rebuild kit from www.btmccorp.com I've used 3 engine kits from this company in the past on cummins and detroit engines and have nothing but good things to say about them.They know what there doing,service is quick,price is great! Parts in my kit were all federal mogul and sleeves all fit great in the block.

I just used regular rtv silicone gasket sealer on the patch TCS,I did gombo it up pretty good and put it on all the bolts before I installed them.

Boy aint that the truth scott.Only time i ever had a break down in front of the shop door was when the shop door fell of the track:lmao

Last edited:

TCS

Are you sure that is the right link for the after market engine parts? I clicked on it and got something that looked different.Just asking because I am always looking for rebuild parts alternatives.

td25c

Pretty sure it's the right one TCS, I agree with you that the website dosent look like what you might expect for aftermaket parts sales. Google btmc corp and at the top of the page it describes them as supplying parts for truck and equipment engines, click on and thats the site I linked up.

Last edited:

TCS

Ok thanks td25c..... I'll investigate it further. The way prices of rebuild kits have gone searching for good quality lower priced ones is crucial.

td25c

Pretty sure it's the right one TCS, I agree with you that the website dosent look like what you might expect for aftermaket parts sales. Google btmc corp and at the top of the page it describes them as supplying parts for truck and equipment engines, click on and thats the site I linked up.

I gave btmc a call this morning using the 800 number listed on the contact page,sure enough it's the correct site.I had to wait a little for the receptionist to pick up then she could direct me to the engine department.I did ask her about the current website layout and she said it was an old format that they needed to update.It might also be just as easy to email them with your info nowdays.

markmox

Occupation
automotive engineer
Nice pictures, looks just like mine except I have some heavy roll bars and roof. I am in need of electrical parts, like the contactors that control power to the steering and chain motors. Can you tell me where to start looking? Thanks

td25c

Thats a good question markmox.The contacts on my switches are getting a little nasty as well.My thought is to check with a big electrical supplyer and see if they could mach up some available contactors to my old ones,or maby fabricate new ones.Another option might be to replace the whole switch with a modern version. Kirby risk is a big supplyer in my area www.kirbyrisk.com

I lost a steering motor on the last job "burnt windings",luckilly I had a spare motor to install and finnish the job. I did talk to www.jasperelectricmotors.com and they were confident they could re-wind my old motor or the generator if need be.I'l probably take them the motor this winter and see how that go's.

ArthurB

We have a simular unit, a L. T. Westinghouse C roadster with a p-19 carrayall. It works well for a few hours then the winches become sluggish and then quit entirely. Is this a low voltage problem ? I assume the controll circuts are 24 volts?? Positive ground?? Does anyone have a wireing or circut diagram for this unit??

markmox

Occupation
automotive engineer
C222 Scrapper electrical mech wanted

Does anyone have access to the service manual with electrical drawing for C Tournapul 222 with Hancock scrapper? I need to trace wiring issues. Thanks, Mark

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
This is what's in the C - Pull manual . Best I could do scanning it in .:(

Anyhow , what's not working on your WABCO ?

I'm interested too, Used to do a ton of Wabco work In the day (B-70s with 333 elevating scrapers up to the 353's). The only C-pull manual I have is for the conventional scrapers.

td25c

Yeah RZucker , funny story on myself .

When I first went to look at the C-Pull before buying it was amazed & dazed by wiring & electrical involved .

Thought to myself at the time "This is crazy running a Detroit power plant through a 3 phase generator , clutch & 5 speed crash box ! "

Almost passed on it . Seller was an old school WABCO guy & assured me the electrical stuff was generally simple problems like broken wire or bad connection some where .

He was rite , most of it is simple .:D

markmox

Occupation
automotive engineer
Wabco C electrical issues

This is what's in the C - Pull manual . Best I could do scanning it in .:(

This outfit has some Wabco manuals . Scroll down & look though them .

http://www.ssbtractor.com/miscellaneous_tractor_manuals_18.html

Anyhow , what's not working on your WABCO ?

Thanks for the picture, but the resolution isn't enough to work for me. I will try to find a book like you have. I lost all control of the turning and elevating. Last night I found a broken wire at the main switch that goes down below the floor. This may provide power to the DC contractors that control the single phase high voltage contactors on the panel near the steering motor. Some speculation here as I don't have the drawings that you have. If you can tell me the title of your service manual I can hopefully find one like it. Thank you so much. It is not easy finding information about these old machines. I've had mine for almost 30 years, using it for projects on the farm. Now I'm hoping it will help me build a private air strip, a life long dream.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Markmox, do yourself a big favor and please DO NOT work on that system with the engine running until you have a book and thoroughly understand it. With the DC main switch on and engine running, the 3 phase system is carrying 360-380V AC phase to phase and the steering and elevator control circuits are in excess of 300v AC. At 1800 RPM this AC power is 120 HZ that actually makes it much more efficient at killing you. I have never feared these machines, but I have a hell of a lot of respect for them. The later hydraulic steer machines were easier to diagnose because the three phase was off 'til you switched the elevator on.

Last edited:

td25c

Thanks for the picture, but the resolution isn't enough to work for me. I will try to find a book like you have. I lost all control of the turning and elevating. Last night I found a broken wire at the main switch that goes down below the floor. This may provide power to the DC contractors that control the single phase high voltage contactors on the panel near the steering motor. Some speculation here as I don't have the drawings that you have. If you can tell me the title of your service manual I can hopefully find one like it.

My book is titled "Model C Tractor & Trail Units service manual " .

So far on the net the ssbtractor site is the only place I've spotted any Wabco C manuals .

http://www.ssbtractor.com/miscellaneous_tractor_manuals_18.html

Have to look close & scroll down the manual listings .

Two that look promising were " Tournapull C service manual " 232 pages at $ 45.07

And "Wabco Model C ( V Power ) tractor scraper chassis only service manual " 176 pages at $ 38.17

The second manual sounds very close to mine .

Going to PM you a few names & phone numbers that might also be able to assist with books & parts .

td25c

Markmox, do yourself a big favor and please DO NOT work on that system with the engine running until you have a book and thoroughly understand it. With the DC main switch on and engine running, the 3 phase system is carrying 360-380V AC phase to phase and the steering and elevator control circuits are in excess of 300v AC. At 1800 RPM this AC power is 120 HZ that actually makes it much more efficient at killing you. I have never feared these machines, but I have a hell of a lot of respect for them. The later hydraulic steer machines were easier to diagnose because the three phase was off 'til you switched the elevator on.

Good advice RZ !

So far the worst injury I've sustained from the Wabco was when I slipped off the battery box while climbing on and off . Feet went flyin and left hand had the white knuckle grip on the hand rail .

Had to go lay down on the shop floor for awhile on that one until the pain subsided in the shoulder :eek::D

Was climbing on and off the machine multiple times setting the gap on the " flux bridge " to up the charging voltage on the batteries . Ended up removing some of the fiberglass shims until we saw 14.5 volts on the battery when running .

Nope . these animals don't use a belt driven alternator for charging , get it off the main generator .

Last edited: