• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Volvo EC240CL Fuel Issue

Aussie Sapphire

Hi everyone,
Recently purchased a Volvo EC240CL with the common rail fuel system.
The last owner had a issue with starting after sitting overnight,fine the rest of the Day,they had a valve kit fitted to the Rail and it seemed to fix the issue.
Its back to the same habbit, :
priming doesnt help
Fuel system is clean with new filters
It appears the belt driven pump that I assume is the low pressure pump has been replaced at some stage.
Is my next move to fit a new high pressure pump ??
Are these hard to fit ,sorry I have not worked on a Volvo before ?

The other thing its doing is when put back to full idle is often send a warning on the screen Warning Turn off engine Engine Error. If operated with this error the power appears to be derated.
If you dont go right back to idle all is okay.

Any help please ?

sfrs4

There was at some point a service bulletin about the low pressure pump and the fact it got paint on the sealing surface of one of the pipes.

1. Fuel may leak through the injection port of the pump. This may cause hard starting of the engine and/ or low rail pressure.
2. Air may enter the fuel pump through the fuel suction port of the pump and cause engine RPM to drop, low engine power and/ or engine hunting.

could maybe check that, but if it's been replaced i doubt it would still have that problem
there are 2 high pressure pumps one either side of the fuel control valve, which might be worth a look at, I know it sounds daft but how long since the valve kit was fitted?

funwithfuel

You most likely have a failed injector. I've been down this road several times. What happens, is one or more injectors allow too much fuel to pass through to the return side. This causes a drop in rail pressure. This problem is really frustrating for a lot of guys. You think "how can it be an injector, it runs great at full throttle? "
There is a procedure for separating and measuring fuel return volume. I will try and find it and post it up later this morning.

uffex

Good day
The low pressure pump has a check valve by-pass inside may be worth a check.
Kind regards
Uffex

Aussie Sapphire

Thanks everyone,
The Valve kit was fitted only weeks ago with new Filters at the same time,it apparently fixed the hard starting then.
No I don't Know how to access the service screen in the instrument panel?
She has done a lot of hours ( 10,000 hrs ) but been well looked after and maintained,this might also point to an injector issue.
Would the Injector allowing fuel to pass to the return happen when sitting overnight or during use ? as it starts easily once its been going once?

funwithfuel

Yes. The injector, sitting at rest will dump off into the tank. Sometimes with cracked tips , you'll wind up with a fuel knock and puffing smoke if the rail dumps out onto the piston crown. Have had both happen. When warm, it'll leak, but maybe not dump. That's where you get the issue with the error popping when you idle down.
From the home screen, scroll down to service. Press and hold the enter key. When the screen says," entering service mode" then you can release the enter key. From there you should see a spanner in the top or bottom. Now yer in. You can monitor fuel pressure and desired fuel pressure. This helps with troubleshooting. Little fun bit of info. If you have someone unplug the fcv while running, you have 30 seconds to run to full throttle and see if you hit at least 18k psi. That's usually an indication that lift pump, pressure regulator and high psi pumps are in good order.

Aussie Sapphire

Great infomation funwithfuel and others thanks.
I will dig into the screen and have a play it will be a couple of days as we are weighing up steers for a dropping feedlot market hear in Australia.
The fcv is which plug please?
Hear stories that with the common rail the injector supply tubes are single use and should be replaced with new if taken off or fitting new injectors whats the opinion on this?
I no we have got away with common rail Toyota utes reusing the lines but there were no common rail Diesels when I was full time in the Heavey diesel trade thats how old and stupid I am.

Aussie Sapphire

sfrs4 ,
I dont have a correct book for the machine , It appears the low pressure pump is the one belt driven off the same belt that runs the alternator?
So there are 2 high pressure pumps one either side of the fuel control valve ?
Are these inside the tappet cover I cant see or find how or where exactly the high pressure pumps or pump is located and driven and why there are 2 ?
We used to always get our old school injectors rebuilt ,whats best with these ones new or rebuilt?
Sorry Volvo is new to me,love the machine but need to learn a bit.

funwithfuel

On the flywheel side of the engine. On the deck, beside the head you will see two pumps flanking a PWM valve on a pot metal pedestal. Those two pumps are driven by the camshaft. They are slaves to the PWM valve in the fuel control.
So you understand what you are playing with, we'll start from the beginning. Starting at the fuel tank, through the sender/standpipe up to the fuel/water separator. Here's the first chance for problems. Aftermarket filters, for some reason, don't fit right and introduce higher restriction than factory. Issue 2, the primer check in the filter head. Often overlooked. If you remove the filter head, there's a large plastic allen plug, behind that is a large check ball. Sometimes debris holds this open allowing a drain-back condition. Moving on, up to the lift pump. The excavators have the longest living belt driven pump of the bunch. As mentioned, the paint at the inlet was a problem on brand new machines. The rule, for me, if there's moist dirt collected around the pulley, it's junk. That said, I have replaced only one excavator fuel pump and that was foreign object damage. Now we leave the lift pump and head towards the secondary fuel filter and press sensor. No real issues there aside from external leaks which almost never occur. From secondary filter it goes to the FCV (fuel control valve) the FCV serves several functions. It has a fuel pressure regulator on the bottom, this maintains your low side pressure of 70-75 psi. It distributes the fuel to either tank or the two high pressure pumps. This is done with the metering valve on top. So now we're getting serious. Your fuel pressure has just risen from 75 psi to at least 8k psi. This high pressure is fed directly into the common rail. So the theory is that the fuel is dead-headed in the rail. There should be no leak-off. At the end of the rail is a pressure sensor, there is also a safety valve. I forget the specific value, but it's around 25k psi. The valve unloads and dumps to tank. This is calculated by the computer. When the pressure is recorded above the threshold value, it times it. I believe its 5 seconds, then it wants a reset from a dealer service tool. That keeps the common rail from rupturing. When the desired fuel pressure cannot be achieved in spite of raising mA to the FCV, the computer thinks that there is an external fuel leak . Once you get "Fuel system failure" you usually have 30 seconds of run time before she shuts down. It's for safety. You don't want vaporized fuel spraying around a hot turbo. So, we've got our high pressure fuel in the rail, the pipes carry it to each injector which is waiting to do its thing. If one injector has etching of the pintle and seat, your fuel will leak to tank via return path. The problem with the early common rail is all the return piping are rigid pipes stacked on one another with hollow screws. Not ideal for troubleshooting.
In my experience, there have been rare instances where the high pressure pumps cam follower broke and damaged the block. Water intrusion is the biggest killer. The system has zero tolerance for any moisture. The high pressure etches the machined surfaces of the pressure pumps and injectors. Most often, the failure lies in the injectors. I have welded fuel lines shut to make canceling plugs for the rail. It proved to be a waste of time. If I was able to find which injector was causing issue and replace it, I would be back within a month changing out the rest, since they all eat the same fuel.
My apologies for the long-winded description but you gotta know what you're up against before diving in. The raised fuel pressures are dangerous. Injection hazards are real and must be respected. Please proceed with caution. Good luck

sfrs4

Hi Aussie, just to let you know your in safe hands with FWF and Uffex, these guys know far more than me when it comes to hands on work and excavators, I'm more a parts and service desk jockey, I help where possible, so I'm not ignoring just stepping back and letting those that have better knowledge step forward.

Aussie Sapphire

I appreciate all your help thanks sfrs4 .
I thought I may have solved it this morning but maybe not.
On close inspection, one Injector tube into the Rail closest to one of the new Valves had a tiny bit of dust/residue around it so I got the spanners out to go through what I
could check was not tight.
It did not go to the turn off engine at Idle for ages then towards the end of the Day the bugger did it again.
There was one supply tube/line nearest the new Valve closest to the Radiator that went up 1/4 of a turn easily ,that was the dirty one.
Then I tried to get a spanner on that valve to check it was tight and the supply was in the way.Im wondering know if the Volvo mechanic loosened or removed that supply when
they fitted the Valve kit and maybe its damaged know from running with a slight leak ?
I will clean it up and see if it gets build up again.

Aussie Sapphire

Im working through the diagnosis and think Im getting close to a fix,bit harder when you have to leave it overnight to see if what we have done is a fix or not.

Last night I had to park up on the side of a hill at a fair angle to get the machine out of the way, this obviously made the Engine oil look low , a bit under 1/2 way to add.
Leveled up it was spot on full .
I got an Engine Oil level Low at start-up on the hill.
The screen shows
Check
Fault active
error code SE2205-1

It does not seemed to have worked out the Oil level is okay and I cant seen to reset it ,any ideas please ?

Attachments

• 20230112_120500.jpg
    20230112_120500.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3

Aussie Sapphire

Hi all,
we have been using the machine since I last posted but the Fuel system is still not right.

So what we have done so far:

The Fuel rail has had n new kit in it ,the valves on each end.

We have fitted new Injectors and pipes.

Fuel lines have been checked carefully along with all fittings and we cannot get any sign of a dirty build up or any sign of a leak we can see.

Fuel Filters have been changed and checked using genuine ones.

Issues:

Still hard to start ,sometimes it starts fine but usually not.

Once running it operates fine but when idled back it can hunt a little and sometimes a Error will come up to turn Engine off. It starts straight back up okay.

I played around with the larger Water separator filter recently,after sitting overnight it was about 2" down from full an obvious problem.
When I bleed it and tried to start it would not so I spun that filter off and had a lot of fuel pressure
enough to spray Fuel for some time out of the Filter seal.

So Im guessing we are getting pressure back from the common rail somehow but dont know what to do next. ???

Its really cold here now so after a wind of the starter im getting Warning Low Voltage.
And a couple of times If I have would her over quite a bit I get :
Fuse Relay failure check at next stop
Fuse - PWM failure check at next stop

This was after winding to much I suggest out of frustration.

Batteries load test ok but are running around 13.3 volts after sitting in -5 Degree night .

Any help greatly appreciated.

funwithfuel

Ok, it's very cold and the starter draw is dropping your voltage. My first question would be, is the pre-heater working? Is it getting voltage? Is it staying energized for at least a minute in those temperatures? And is the grid heater actually producing heat?
If we can confirm all that is good, let's get back into the service menu before trying to start. Again monitoring fuel pressure both low and high side. After 3 or 4 revolutions your rail pressure should be bumping 8k psi and low side should be pushing somewhere around 60 to 80 psi.
You mentioned the water separator draining down. Did you inspect the filter head when performing all these repairs?

Aussie Sapphire

Thanks will be in touch your prompts are much appreciated.
Do all the EC240CL machines have the Pre-Heater ,it doesn't seem to show a symbol on the screen?
I did get into the Service side thanks,better if we stop and think rather then keep driving it there is certainly great interesting info there.
Ours shows Bar pressure and I have not tried to change that but at Idle the Rail pressure is around 8K and with Revs about 8,800 PSI
Low side is around 87 psi at revs and after we go to Idle it drops after a short time to about 50 psi.( 10 to 20 seconds )
I could not work out how to keep the Screen active on the Service mode to wind it over 3 or 4 times as when I turn it off I cant seem to get back into that mode till she is going again.

The fuel Filter head seems okay ,there is no build up of dirt etc,I have not checked the filter again today as its bloody cold and wet.

funwithfuel

If your total battery voltage is dropping below 20 volts while you're cranking, it's probably not gonna start. It's warm and dry here. So I wasn't thinking about cold start issues. Check grounds and power connections. Make sure master switch is snappy when you turn the key, a lazy gritty one may not make 100% contact. Check batteries, make sure they're up to the task.
Unlike a pump, line and nozzle engine, common rails gotta have good voltage to keep the computers awake so they can trigger injectors. Plus, iirc, you need approximately 245-250 cranking rpm to generate enough heat to promote combustion. So you can see how weak or flat batteries will cause tremendous grief.