• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

volvo ec160b lc monitor (info unit) not working

PineTreeAssassin

I have a 2006 volvo 160b lc excavator. Monitor started going off with a 187 code and no power to ecm. I killed the machine, and when I tried to re start it, the monitor wouldn't come back on, so it will not start. Tried it in manual mode and it cranked fine. Checked all fuses, relays above battery box, the bigger fuses right above batteries. Everything seems to check out. All the switches inside the cab work, the motor will spin over, just will not crank in auto. Does this point to the info unit being bad, or something else? appreciate the help guys.

BigWrench55

I believe that you have a bad relay. I can't think of the relay numbers but there are two of them one powers up the ecm's and the other has to do with the toggle switch that you flipped to make it run. I could be wrong about it but not far from the mark. Post your serial number and tomorrow I can look it up.

PineTreeAssassin

I believe that you have a bad relay. I can't think of the relay numbers but there are two of them one powers up the ecm's and the other has to do with the toggle switch that you flipped to make it run. I could be wrong about it but not far from the mark. Post your serial number and tomorrow I can look it up.
Thanks buddy. Are there more relays than whats above the battery box?

BigWrench55

I'm not real familiar with your model. But I think the relays I speak of is in the fuse box in the battery compartment. But I could be thinking of a different model.

BigWrench55

Funwithfuel should be along before too long and he will definitely know better than me. I only worked on Volvo construction equipment for a year. The rest of my time was everything else under the sun.

PineTreeAssassin

Funwithfuel should be along before too long and he will definitely know better than me. I only worked on Volvo construction equipment for a year. The rest of my time was everything else under the sun.
I wish it was as simple as a relay, but I've already swapped the old ones out one at a time with a new relay. No change though. Thankyou though man

PineTreeAssassin

The relays are identified as EMS and data . I usually swap em out with horn and high speed travel. What 187 code were you getting? Does your throttle still function? Is your fuel gauge functioning?
Thats what I've always done in the past man. Just didn't work this time. The Monitor doesn't even come on when the key is turned on. Its the later series b model digital monitor. Monitor requires a passcode to crank, but can't do that either since it won't come on. Does crank in manual mode though

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
I've never had a display fail to power. Check connection and fuses. Remove the display from the wall. Remove the 4 screws from the back cover. Look for burn marks on the data ribbon and water stains on the back case. If it all looks good, drill an ⅛ to ³/¹⁶ hole in the bottom to allow drainage and reassemble all. I will look for a schematic in the morning and post it.
What about throttle control, do you have it or not? Additionally, if you place the machine in "auto" can you turn the key from off to crank in one sudden movement? Does it crank and start? I'm tryna narrow our field here.

PineTreeAssassin

I've never had a display fail to power. Check connection and fuses. Remove the display from the wall. Remove the 4 screws from the back cover. Look for burn marks on the data ribbon and water stains on the back case. If it all looks good, drill an ⅛ to ³/¹⁶ hole in the bottom to allow drainage and reassemble all. I will look for a schematic in the morning and post it.
What about throttle control, do you have it or not? Additionally, if you place the machine in "auto" can you turn the key from off to crank in one sudden movement? Does it crank and start? I'm tryna narrow our field here.
there’s no throttle control since it will only spin over in auto. Everything works fine except for the screen not coming on. Assuming it won’t let it fire up due to the passcode needed to be typed in. While it’s in manual mode, you turn the key on, and proceed with the normal turning of the key and it fires right up and kills the motor just fine as well. I’ll take the back screws off today. Gonna be storming here, so it may take me a little bit to get back. I really appreciate you taking the time to help on this. Thanks

PineTreeAssassin

If your careful, you may be able to wiggle that ribbon a bit to restore connection. Personally, from the pic, it looks done. Sorry for your loss.
Unfortunately it’s just part of it. Louisiana humidity can be tough on electronics. I’ve found some online, and the Volvo service guys have told me that their customers have bought them as well with no issues. Trying to see if I can find one pre-programmed. Thanks for all your help man.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Buyer beware, you may purchase the same problem waiting to fail.
The big problem comes in where guys are running in the rain with the front windscreen open so they can see. The rain sits on the top of the glass and migrates in at the lower edge. Its unavoidable. But , with drainage, its minimized greatly. Good luck.