• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Volvo EC15B more problems

Nick16

Volvo EC15B XTV older machine but low hours 600ish

Starts & runs for a couple seconds then instantly shuts off.
If i hold the key in start position is stays running until i let off, then dies right away.

Most of what ive read says that it is an electrical issue? Solenoid perhaps? Relays?

Recently changed my fuel filters, not sure if an air lock could do that....ive already cracked the injectors trying to bleed the motor of any air locks

ive checked the battery cables, all fuses are good, cleaned some grounds, inspected ignition switch .....

Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts or ideas that i may be helpful before i bite the bullet and take it in.

thanks in advance

Vetech63

It sounds like your stop solenoid or signal. It's connected to the stop lever on your injection pump and will have a 3 wire plug in. Black is ground, white will have a signal while the starter is engaged, and red has a signal while the ignition is on. Turn your key on and see if you have power to the red wire. The red wire is the solenoid hold and will be on the entire time the key is on. Your white wire is the pull signal and it is working because the engine is trying to run while your starter is engaged.if you have no hold signal, check your fuse panel and wiring. If you have a hold signal then your solenoid is faulty.

Nick16

I did that test & it seems like its either a relay or the wiring it self.
I also pulled the solenoid off & tested it from a battery and it seems to be working fine.

Are you by chance familiar with the relays.....from what i see on the diagrams i have theres no relay that mentions the solenoid
what i do see is one labeled RE4 Engine safety could that be it?
Or R8 is a control box behind the main relay panel

once again not the clearest of questions but thanks

Last edited:

Ben Witter

Vetech is on the right track but the red wire is pull and the white wire is hold, blue is ground. Like he said if you have power on the hold circuit with the key on it is in the coil. If you do not have power in that circuit check RE4 to see if it is activating when the key is switched on. If it is activating check for power on connector 3 and power out on 4 Fuse1 feeds this circuit. You did check all your fuses didn't you?

Nick16

Vetech is on the right track but the red wire is pull and the white wire is hold, blue is ground. Like he said if you have power on the hold circuit with the key on it is in the coil. If you do not have power in that circuit check RE4 to see if it is activating when the key is switched on. If it is activating check for power on connector 3 and power out on 4 Fuse1 feeds this circuit. You did check all your fuses didn't you?

On the solenoid side of the connector all the wires are painted the same, on the other side. Theres a black, which i imagine is ground, a red & a kinda beige color wire. The red is a bit thicker. I tested the beige wire with the ignition on & im getting power. The red with the ignition on has no power.

The manual i have says im suppose to have a red,white & blue. Im not sure why its different, but i suppose thats irrelevant

Now If the beige wire IS the hold and i have power like it is suppose to when the ignition is on, then the solenoid is faulty correct?

I took off the solenoid & tested it right to a battery and it seems to be working correctly, the plunger goes in & out with power to it.

Yes i did check all my fuses. I checked all my relays except for R3 which says "R3 starter relay, engine"
I didnt take into account the "engine" part of that relay label. I pulled it out & it failed the battery and volt meter test.

Not sure if thats the Fault in the system but I ordered a new one & fingers crossed.

Im not much of a mechanic so any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks Nick

Ben Witter

Was that with power to the red or white wire? IF to the white wire did you have to push in the plunger to get it to hold in.
The way the system works is when cranking current from the starter circuit travels to the red wire and actuates the solenoid. Then when the key is released from the start position that flow of current is interrupted and the current in the white wire holds the solenoid in position.
If you can run a multi meter you can check continuity in each circuit. Set the meter on ohms and measure from the black wire to the red wire and then from the black to the white wire. It says the resistance should be 1.6 ohms but hwta is important is that the circuits are not open or excessively high

Nick16

I removed the solenoid completely an tested it off a battery. i dont remember if it powered it off white or red. The pin started to shoot in & out so i assumed it worked correctly.

Ill will try the resistance test as well

The relay labelled "R3 starter relay, engine" failed both the battery powered click test & resistance test where is all the other relays passed, with the same test. Im curious what your thoughts are on that?

Vetech63

Red - Power from ignition
White- Power from start circuit only
Black- Ground
Attach black wire to ground. Arc white wire to positive battery post. it should pull, but will not stay (in and out each time you arc it. Red to positive and it will not pull but you should be able to manually push in the rod and it should stay in. Hook red to positive then arc white on the same positive, it should pull in and stay until you remove the red wire (key off).

Vetech63

yeah, I have only seen the red. white, black combo in wires. it may be so.

Ben Witter

He has power on the white wire with key on. None at the red wire so red is pull and white is hold like the schematics show.

Don't worry about the other relay for now it is not involved in the shut down solenoid operation.

Nick16

Was that with power to the red or white wire? IF to the white wire did you have to push in the plunger to get it to hold in.
The way the system works is when cranking current from the starter circuit travels to the red wire and actuates the solenoid. Then when the key is released from the start position that flow of current is interrupted and the current in the white wire holds the solenoid in position.
If you can run a multi meter you can check continuity in each circuit. Set the meter on ohms and measure from the black wire to the red wire and then from the black to the white wire. It says the resistance should be 1.6 ohms but hwta is important is that the circuits are not open or excessively high

I unplugged the connection, switched the ignition on. With the multi meter on red im getting 3.5 ohms & on the white its showing nothing.

Theres a box "R8" behind all the relays. Could that have anything to with the shutdown?
Looks a little tight to get too but, Ill be inspecting that next

If not, do you have any idea where those 3 wires trace back to. I have the wiring schematic but i cant quite make anything of it.

Once again thanks for your patients & help. Sorry for the late reply, Alberta winters are not pleasant.

Vetech63

If you can get your schematic in a format and post it in this thread, I can help you trace it down. I would need to see it. One of the 3 wires at the plug in should be hot with the key on, meaning voltage (12-13 is where it should be on a fully charged system). One of the other wires will be hot (again, voltage ) when the starter is engaged and turning the engine over. You should be able read continuity from a 3rd wire to ground. There is confusion as to which color of wire is which function, so this way should eliminate that.

Nick16

Well i figured it out, theres a black resin filled box behind the relays "R8"
There must of been a short in it. Turns out that they typically fail at some point or another.
Vetech63 & Ben Witter thanks for the help