1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Volvo A40 not shifting out of 1st gear

Discussion in 'Other Earthmoving Equipment' started by rclay1981, Feb 24, 2016.

1. rclay1981

rclay1981 New Member

I've got a 1998 Volvo A40 that's new to the fleet it's the first adt I've had the privilege to work on
    The owner bought it from a auction and it doesn't shift out of first gear I'm waiting on the manual's but just wondering if any of you guys had any ideas
    thanks

2. mwisales

mwisales Member

rclay1981,

I'm here in Central IL as well (Gardner). I supply heavy equipment components and we specialize in articulated trucks and wheel loaders. I can tell you that we supply probably more Volvo Transmissions than anything else (typically 9000-13000 hours is the life of the transmission in these).

More than likely its a point to the transmission, but I can't tell you how many times I have sold a guy a transmission to find out he has a bad harness or an ECU Problem, and its a costly mistake.

We have a computer box we use on our dyno to shift the transmissions we rebuild, I could loan it to you to help diagnose... what you can do is hook it up directly to the transmission and try to shift the truck while sitting in the cab (or anywhere else using my shift box. If the truck shifts with my box, you know you have an electrical issue (ECU or harness). Hopefully that is the issue for your sake of course.

The issue with some of the dealer software we find is everything points to the transmission itself. The other day I was working on a L120E With a "bad transmission" they brought into our shop, it would not function in reverse, that needed a $130 sensor to fix the whole issue.

If you need some help or some copies of a service manual, you can email me at tyson@mwisales.com. I would be happy to help.

3. lantraxco

lantraxco Senior Member

Owner, Lanway Tractor Company
    My experience with these is decades out of date, but it sounds like it's probably in "Limp" mode. There's an error, broken wire, bad solenoid, bad sensor, bad speed selector, bed up switch, etc. that the ECU has decided is not right and it's locked the machine into low gear only so you can slowly drive it to the shop. Just a guess.

4. laycobeau

laycobeau Active Member

Lead electronic technician
    I think Landtraxco is right. Do you have a read out that gives error codes. I don't know whose brand the controls are. Some will not let you shift if the
    engine rpm is missing or to low(sensor) Others with any shorted or open solenoid. If you find out who made the controller. Dana/Spicer; Zf; Funk etc.
    I might be able to give some help

5. lantraxco

lantraxco Senior Member

If mwisales will loan you that shift box, that sounds like the quickest and easiest way to isolate whether it's an electrical or mechanical issue... hadn't had my second cup of coffee when I was reading his post this morning, lol.

6. laycobeau

laycobeau Active Member

Lead electronic technician
    Missed the loaner box too. no excuse. Da

7. rclay1981

rclay1981 New Member

Thanks guys for the ideas I'm am missing drop box out put speed reading so I'm going to start with that

8. lantraxco

lantraxco Senior Member

Well there you go. I am not familiar with this machine but it makes sense if the computer can't tell how fast it's going, it ain't never gonna shift.

Lazy truck :rolleyes:

9. JDOFMEMI

JDOFMEMI Senior Member

One common cause may be build up of wear material on the speed sensor pick up. Try screwing it out, cleaning, then resetting it, as well as checking for the obvious broken or chaffed wires leading to the sensor.

Also, the number one cause of no shift complaints in a Volvo is that someone pushed the trans hold button and doesn't realize it. This is especially common with the first Volvo ADT experience.

A no shift can also be caused by a faulty or out of adjustment bed up sensor located near the rear hinge point of the bed. The computer can be set to hold first gear until the bed is down to prevent careless drivers from racing around with the bed up.

As in the recent mechanics thread, check the simple things first before blaming major components.

Good luck.

10. Oxbow

Oxbow Senior Member

I'm with Jerry, check the bed down sensor and wiring first, it may be something simple, and less expensive!

11. rclay1981

rclay1981 New Member

Fixed wiring harness for drop box speed sensor and seems to be fine
    thanks for all your help guys

12. JakeDearing

JakeDearing Member

Having trouble figuring out model number for my adt that isn't shifting out of first gear as well. Looking for a troubleshooting manual. Any idea how to find model number from serial number??

13. sfrs4

sfrs4 Well-Known Member

parts admin
    what's your serial number? is it an early "metal" machine or a later "plastic" machine

14. JakeDearing

JakeDearing Member

Serial number is 5350Y60247. It's an older metal body machine.

15. sfrs4

sfrs4 Well-Known Member

parts admin
    Its an early A25C Volvo BM type, with probably the smallest machine card I've ever seen, really strange! the machine card just has that it has a TD73KCE616.