• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Volvo a40. Dropbox locked up

chris dials

Hi all.
I’ve got a Volvo a40. 1997 era
Been working great. Randomly yesterday while hauling it locked up and came to a stop. Almost like I mashed the brakes. No noise or carnage like anything broke. It won’t go forward or reverse. It goes into gear, can hear a load being placed on the engine. Drive lines only move about a quarter turn in either direction. Pulled the drivelines off at the Dropbox and have the same issue. Drained it and no metal in Dropbox. I’ve heard it could be electrical but the monitor screen doesn’t work so I can’t see any codes. Anyone experience this issue before and what was the problem. Thanks

Bigbert

Occupation
Consulting Engineer
Hi Chris,

I'm not a real expert in Volvo's. However looking at sectional drawing of drop box I can only imagine a broken tooth locking box. The sleeve for L and H usually only moves in Neutral at standstill. Electrically I do not see a chance for locking. Presumeably it is one solenoid moving sleeve with air or oil.
Parkbrake is behind articulation pivot, so we can exclude.

Attachments

• TIF1 (002).jpg
    TIF1 (002).jpg
    803.8 KB · Views: 13
  • DumpTruckADT40.jpg
    DumpTruckADT40.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 12

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
I would pull the oil cooler off the front bearing retainer. See if its discolored or has a bulge. The interaxle differential is what usually grenades. If it has, you may have gotten lucky with a clean break. More often than not, there's debris everywhere. Either way it looks like you'll be pulling her out.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
You may want to pull the prop shaft between the transmission and dropbox. Be careful, you have to tie the dropbox back to the frame . You might have blown the rear section planetary