• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

volvo a25c vs terex 2566c

thorns

I am new to articulated rock trucks just wondering if anyone has any opinions of the pros and cons of each of the above and what about parts availability. The other one I might consider is a volvo bm861 but i have heard parts are difficult to get. any thoughts would be appreciated.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
I can tell you that parts for the A25C are becoming scarce as well. Anything that does not have commonality with the modern/current counterpart has probably been discontinued. This goes for switches, harnesses, computers etc.
Some actuators and solenoids as well.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
Volvo is the best choice of the two. All Volvo parts are available, but some may be hard to find. At least Volvo is still building trucks.
Terex trucks, in my opinion, were never very dependable and were not well designed to start with. Now, they don't even build them and all terex trucks are orphans, with no dealer support at all

GregsHD

Occupation
Self Employed HD Mechanic
My experience with terex: endless trans and brake issues, had no issues getting new parts but they are very expensive! Had a power divider get chewed up on a TA30, needed the pinion shaft, bearings etc. Quote was over $30k for parts!!!! Couldn't find a used diff so they parted it out. I had some good conversations with the mechanics at a large contractor in Williams Lake BC, they had a large fleet of terex artic trucks, after years of trouble and headache they sold them all and bought Cat.

I don't have much experience with Volvo artic trucks, but I can say they are much more dependable then Terex.. I believe newer Terex are made by Volvo?

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Volvo bought the rigid hauler line from Terex last year, which is funny cause they sold Euclid rigid decades prior.
Back to point, I am biased, I worked for a Volvo dealer, so I believe they are best. I was earlier stating how parts are becoming hit or miss.
That all aside, the trans and dropbox are the weak links. If you disable or hide the floor mounted 6X6 switch you will greatly reduce the risk of diff lock "failures" You can't get away with putting low payed unskilled labor in the seat. Good operators will pay you back in reduced downtime and prolonged component life.
Oh , and Volvos really do consume less fuel per ton than cat or Deere

truecountry

Occupation
Shop Manager and Tech
Volvo a25c 19000 hours now rebuilt motor 15000 and
Trans went out at 17000 ...tech from Volvo said over voltage alternator first ...bad wiring harness 2nd time 3rd time we don't know ..I was hired and dropped transmission pan and a soft ball size ball of metal was in pan....funny thing as you could turn key switch on and push it up or down and hear trans clicking solenoids in transmission note its a key on push button start machine .....so I might be wrong but if key switch is on and it switches back and forth between solenoids that's not good I ordered a spare and every so often I check it no clicking in trans ...

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Did we shift gears in topic? This thread was comparison between Volvo and Terex artic trucks. I think you are looking for input on trans troubleshooting. If so, let's open a new thread to get help from more sources