• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

valve adjustment on 855 cummins

shopguy

Look at each head, the exhaust valves are the ones at the ends of the head inline with the (2) exhaust manifold ports.Intake valves are the inside ones inline with the (1) intake port.
Hope This Helps

charles walton

Look at each head, the exhaust valves are the ones at the ends of the head inline with the (2) exhaust manifold ports.Intake valves are the inside ones inline with the (1) intake port.
Hope This Helps

Are you saying that,counting from the front of the head the exhaust valves would be number one and four and the intake two and three?

trucker1

Yes. Almost all heads are set up with the same arrangement, starting from the front to the back, E,I,I,E,E,I,I,E for a four or 8 Cyl head and then add E,I,I,E for the extra two cylinders on a straight 6 which you are working on. I was told years ago the main reason for this arrangment was to put the two hot halves of adjacent cylinders side by side to help in cooling. Dont know if that is true or not. Like Shopguy said look at your intake port, it is between the two intake valves, which are in the middle of each head, the exhaust are at the front and back of each head.

charles walton

Thanks for that info,now I am having trouble figuring out which cylinder is at TDC compression stroke,when I line up on A then the valves on 5 and 2 are some what loose,I was wondering how to get a starting point.Any help is much appreciated.I know I don't know what I'm doing but once I get it strait I'll be alright.

shopguy

Look at the valves as you approch the (A) mark the valves on the right cyl. to adjust (2or5) will not move as you pass the (A). The valves on wrong cyl. (2or 5) will be (rocking)exhaust will close & intake will open as you pass (A). Which method are you using to set the injectors?

?

Last edited:

charles walton

I'll be setting them by the torque method,just past finger tight.If the intake rocker is tight and the exaust is loose then thats the wrong one and if they are both loose then its the one to adjust?

shopguy

Yes that is right both loose. The injector link should roll with your finger & thumb but (0 lash)

562C

If I remember correctly the spec on the injector setting is 7 inch pounds.... should still be able to rotate the push rod with your fingers but no lash.