• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

V461D Wisonsin fuel issue

okumaguru

I have a loader which someone put a V461D Wisconsin engine on. I was told this engine was out of a skid steer so I posted my question here.
After I run it for an hour or so it seems to "starve" for fuel. I pulled the carburator and cleaned it, put a new inline fuel filter and fresh fuel. I made certain the fuel line wasn't touching anything that might heat it up(vaporlock) but it is still doing it.
Any thoughts???
Thanks
Tim

sheepfoot

fuel problems

I would like to know the loader make and model, did you find crud in the carb, and did you blow it out or carb soak it, was the filter dirty,have you checked your fuel pump screens most have them on the inlet side, are the hoses air cracked, then your back to the fuel tank with multi things to check, is the fuel pickup tube clear, how close is the tube to tank bottom, is it cut flat/ angled, does it have slots cut in it, is there a screen on it, did you pump it out or just add more gas to it , did it have alot of vacum on the cap when it started losing power, you may find floating crud, rust,seals from fuel cans/additives floating around and sealing off your pickup tube after running for a while in usage, after machine sits for a while the trash falls off and machine runs great untill it stops it up again. watch out for the (gummy worms), extra silicon placed around fuel senders that drop off swiming in the waves of the fuel tank. good luck , be careful around gas fueled equip repairs !

okumaguru

The engine has been "rigged" on an old Hough loader, I don't know what it came from originally. The tank end of the system looks good. I installed an inline filter just below the tank which stays full of fuel. I also replaced all of the fuel line. I am wondering about the solenoid valve on the bottom of the carb. I haven't done anything with the fuel pump as it is almost impossible to get to. I would have expected any fuel pump problems wouldn't have waited until it warmed up.
The cap on the tank is big so I can see down in it and everything looks clear. The pick-up tube sticks up about an inch or so but doesn't have a screen or filter on it.
Thanks
Tim

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Vapor-lock is the likely cause ..

The V4 Winsconsins are noted for "heat soak" into the carburetor and fuel lines .. thus causing vapor lock.

All air-cooled engines run a lot hotter than water-cooled ones, and they are hard on oils and fuels because of this factor.

Modern day gasoline is also prone to losing its volatility more easily, as the additives have changed over the years.

Put a heat-resistant gasket under the carburetor, and wind some heat resistant material around the fuel line leading to the carburetor, and you should see an improvement.

okumaguru

Vapor lock is kind of what I was expecting. Where do I look for the "heat Shield" material you are referring to?
Thanks
Tim

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Not being 100% familiar all with U.S. supply stores, I guess a place like NAPA would be a good start.
In the old days, the material used was a thick (¼") asbestos sheet that the gasket was cut out of .. nowadays they have replacement materials for asbestos that can be two or three different materials, depending on the manufacturer. You'll need to buy a sheet of it, and cut your own gasket.
Here's another thought I just had. Try your Winsconsin parts supplier to see if they have an insulator-type gasket available off-the-shelf. They may have them fitted to some models, or later models, but not to yours.

Also - check to see if you have a loose intake manifold or loose carburetor mounts. If there is even the slightest intake leak, this will lean the mixture and make it run even hotter. The Wisconsins are noted for manifolds loosening and carburetor gaskets developing leaks. You are well advised to ensure the mixture tends towards the rich side rather than lean.
Also, a small amount of oil in the gasoline is good for these engines - they have a bad tendency to develop sticky valves, and a little oil in the gas will cure that.