• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Utiltiy locates

Oxbow

We had a bit of a close call today.

We are working for an environmental consultant, performing fish habitat enhancement work on two spring creeks in Wyoming which are both on the same property, and the funding is derived from grants obtained by a conservation group which has a perpetual conservation easement on this parcel of land.

The environmental consultant (our client) obtained utility locates for all of the area in which we would be working.

There is an outfit that contracts to several utilities to provide locates (phone and cable at least), while the power company and natural gas company perform their own locates. We hit utilities today where there were no markings whatsoever, one of which was obviously phone (about 500 pair). There were two other lines, but neither was broken. One was a conduit, and the other was orange, which I imagined was probably fibre optic (oh crap, right?) The orange line was kinked just a bit, and the conduit un-scathed.

My guys called me, and the environmental consultant called the various utilities to report what happened, as well as the fellow that did the locating for the phone/cable companies. The power company rep showed up first and declared that none of the lines were his (power). A bit later the locate company fellow showed up. He stated that the orange line was NOT fibre optic, and the conduit was empty, probably for future use although it would have been a very long section to blow a pig through to pull wire (maybe there is a pull wire inside). The other line may be cable?

I wasn't there, and we are still not sure what we are dealing with other that we know that we broke the phone line. When the power company tech was there he stated that we would be liable despite the fact that there were no markings; because the locate was more than 15 days old, and because we (the excavating company) hadn't been the one to request the locate.

When the locate fellow showed up he said that we would be in the clear as the utilities that we hit are not on his plans.

So...I think that we are in the clear. The phone company isn't going to do the repair until tomorrow, so I don't know what there response is going to be.

Lessons learned:

1 - Always request locates ourselves, so that the ticket is in our name.

2 - Always request locates AGAIN if we are going to be on the project for more than 15 days.

We typically work in fairly remote areas where the utility companies can tell you via email swapping of google earth pictures whether or not they need to locate anything, and often any existing utilities have been identified in the plan set in which case we would call for locates. I suspect many or most of you deal with this on a daily basis, and are intimately familiar with the local rules and laws regarding utilities. I know that we are going to change our procedure from here on out.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I have ever trusted those locates from anyone and always have a camera handy.Those cable guys are whores in simple language and they have no respect for anyone.They bury their stuff just below the surface without a clue that it is there.
I wonder why I have to top my trench with sand and marking tape when I never seem to find it in anybody elses trench.Ron G

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Oxbow not knowing your state laws on the subject I can't comment on the liability part. Let us know how it goes.

I agree, I always get a current locate in our name. Most of the time the GC will have one as well during the same time period. However I've seen the locate guys get out of their truck, grab a can of paint and start haphazardly paint lines on the ground.:rolleyes:

The best insurance you can have is a current locate # and take pictures of the marks. Here if we hit something outside of 3' from the center of the marks, it's not on us.

RonG couldn't agree more on the description of the cable guys. We were running 24" RCP beside a road between the curb and sidewalk, the trench was basically from edge of concrete to edge of concrete. I had a current locate that was 2 days past the 48hr time to mark it. We knew there was a cable line that ran across the street to the one building we were trenching in front of but no locate. I called again to get line located and waited the 48 hrs and nothing. Called a third time, waited the 48hrs and nothing, so we began digging...

Well we hit the cable line and called it in. A young kid shows up in a cable truck and first thing out of his mouth is "What do ya'll do start digging and then call in a locate?" in a smart arse tone that did not sit well with me. I quipped back -"I've got 3 current locate numbers, which one you want?". He said nothing and repaired the line. I've settled down a lot as I've grown older, back in my younger days lets just say it would've been more heated.:rolleyes:

We did not get charged for the repair.

Oxbow

My son has three calls into the phone company this morning and cannot get any response as to when they might be there to repair it. We would like to be there to assist/backfill, but are moving to another project and cannot wait around all day in the event that they might show up. I am wondering now if these lines are not abandoned, as I would guess that there would be plenty of complaints about lost service.

If they are abandoned it would be nice to back charge the phone company for our time dealing with this mess, but fat chance of that happening.

I will update when I find out.

CatToy

In Tn, the person doing the digging name needs to be on the request for locate services and it is valid for 15 days. Need to call at least three days prior to continuing any dirt movement to renew. Even if you called and have markings the laws do not protect you from liability. As a private homeowner, I have received stop work notices for not having a valid permit digging up stumps within 100' feet of the road and exceeded 18" in depth when pulling up stumps. I personnally believe this is overreach since the county I live in maintains a 25' easement from the the center of the road that you are not allowed to distrub.

Last edited:

Oxbow

So far, we have not been asked to pay for any of this. I just wonder when a contractor hits something that is not supposed to be there if that contractor's time ought to be compensated in dealing with the whole process. I guess I should just feel fortunate that we are not asked to pay for the damage.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
So far, we have not been asked to pay for any of this. I just wonder when a contractor hits something that is not supposed to be there if that contractor's time ought to be compensated in dealing with the whole process. I guess I should just feel fortunate that we are not asked to pay for the damage.

That's a very valid point Oxbow but you and I both know that's not going to happen but it should. We're out time and money dealing with it the same as a utility company is for repairing a line damaged while excavating.

Heck of a note if the lines are abandoned but I've been there before.

We were replacing a 60" piece of CMP downstream of a yard inlet that collapsed. Phone was marked a good 25' away next to the shoulder of the road, the top of the yard inlet was 6' below the road. As we were digging down we hit what I estimate was a 400 pair phone line about 6' deep in the trench. Of course we all freaked out and I was already creating my talking points for the fact the locate was way off. Did I mention there was a cell phone tower on the property as well?:rolleyes:

We called AT&T and reported the hit. The crew sat there idle for several hours as we waited for the trucks to show up. An AT&T truck pulls into the parking lot and proceeds right by us towards the cell tower. We were like WTH? Waited for him to come back down to the excavation but after 30 mins or so he drives back down and out the parking lot.

It was later in the day we were informed this was an abandoned line, wasted 1/2 of a day...:cool:

Oxbow

I guess this is as good a place to tell this one as any, not quite in the "Things I've seen me do" category.

We were working for a GC just outside of Ross North Dakota a few years ago and he had cleared the property of utilities prior to us starting work. We were out in the middle of this field grading a big lot to drain in preparation for building a shop pad. I had come home to Idaho to take care of some business, and had left my two guys (one of which is my son) to carry on.

My son calls me to let me know that they had hit about a 25 pair phone line that was probably at least 100' from the right of way. I tell them to shut down and wait and I called the phone company. I also called for fresh locates. The phone company comes out and says that the line we hit was abandoned, no worries. A short while later I get a call from a Colonel so and so from Minot Air Force Base. The call goes something like this:

Colonel: Is this so and so with such and such company?

Me: (with trepidation and curiosity) yeeeeees.

Colonel: Did you call for locates?

Me: (more trepidation-less curiosity) yeeeeeeees.

Colonel: I can see where you are working, and our stuff is to the South of you about a quarter of a mile.

Me: Okay, what stuff would that be?

Colonel: The lines to the intercontinental ballistic missile silos.

Me: (at this point I have nearly filled my drawers) What happens when someone hits your stuff?

Colonel: Well, it's really not good because it takes down at least one missile site, sometimes more.

Me: Are your lines marked above ground like major natural gas lines?

Colonel: Yea, there are wooden markers where we cross the roads.

Me: Thank you very much Colonel, we will endeavor to never let the dozer blade even touch the ground without hearing from you first in the future.

Colonel: (he chuckles) Good bye.

And that my friends was the beginning and end of my education regarding ICBM's!

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
In MN each contractor or subcontractor is required to call for his own locates. Kind of stupid when we have marking 5 deep sometimes on the project. Usually they just paint again and not even get the maps out. But, if you don't call and hit something you are liable.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
And that my friends was the beginning and end of my education regarding ICBM's!

:eek: Just think you might've been the closest trigger for WWIII.:D

d4c24a

locates

We do our own here in the UK , digging here is a bit different as most paths , roads are packed with utilities

this is a usual burst main , junction box with fibre lines built on top of water main , with more fibre lines crossing

before and after picture :)

Attachments

• burst 001.jpg
    burst 001.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 470
  • burst 002.jpg
    burst 002.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 475

reddot556

existing utilities can be a bitch!!

Attachments

• 1119081436.jpg
    1119081436.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 395
  • 1119081451.jpg
    1119081451.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 392
  • 1126080826.jpg
    1126080826.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 390
  • Myviewtoday.jpg
    Myviewtoday.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 400

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Our local 811 locate service has developed an app for your phone where one can enter tickets on the job and use your phone's GPS coordinates for exact location. Haven't used it yet.

Oxbow

Our local 811 locate service has developed an app for your phone where one can enter tickets on the job and use your phone's GPS coordinates for exact location. Haven't used it yet.

That's a great idea!