• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Used dozer search ...

Jaybo

Occupation
Compost Facility Operator
Hello everyone! Looking for help here for our first farm dozer - I'm an operator by trade (landfill and compost facility - D7R, 624K, tractors, trucks etc) so I have an idea about equipment. Any help you guys have would be really helpful.

Is there any definitive post that tells you what to look at on a dozer when you are looking at older machines? I have been searching and reading here for a few days now and there is a lot of info but no FAQ on different models as to what to look for, lots of info in various posts but nothing all in one place. Anyway, With that I am looking at a few different machines right now. We are looking for something with a winch (and arch is a big plus) 6 way blade to use on our farm. Looking to spend under $20k or very close to that. use will be general farm maint. type stuff, light logging (to pay for it!) clear out old roads in the forested areas, dirt work of various types, pull logs out of the slough, etc. Possible that we will build a pond with it in the future (in a draw, not excavated) but that isn't for sure. We can do some of our own mechanic work but anything in depth we would have to hire a wrench.

Looking at a few different models, Dresser TD-8, JD 450E & 450C & 550, Case 550G, 1150D

Here are some links to what we have looked at so far:

Dresser TD8H : S/N TD8H A710001P035653 - supposedly 4356hrs. says he is firm on $21k

JD 450E - I have a pdf for $14k in recent work to this machine - itsat for 14 years and it was gone through by a factory trained mechanic. Take a look at the work order. Would love some feedback on it.

JD 450C - Says 1332 hrs but it doesn't look like it to me... has a funky cab on it, and the sprockets are sharpish - looks like some good used ones would fix it up for farm use. $17k

JD 550 - 3831hrs The U/C does look very nice, They emailed me a bunch more pictures and sprockets and chain look really nice. $17k

Case 550G - 2800hrs bare back, looks pretty clean though - not sure how hard (or how expensive) a good used winch would be.

Case 1150D - Not sure about this one, it looks like it has sat for a long time and the low price $12.5k scares me some - U/C looks pretty wore out from what I can see.

So that is what I am looking at so far - Anyone want to help me out here? :)

..Jay

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
If you are looking for a brush unit I would stay with the Deeres, just for parts availability, if looking to move trees go larger, to Cat or Deere in a size range of D5 or 6 or Deere 750, need weight as well as tracks for trees. 550 Deere is a small if not portable with enough capacitty to do most farm work. Dresser is not much more than IHC, the rails are difficult if not unavailable for repairs, parts are scarce. If you have the cash or credit going to a trackhoe is a better choice all around.

Jaybo

Occupation
If you are looking for a brush unit I would stay with the Deeres, just for parts availability, if looking to move trees go larger, to Cat or Deere in a size range of D5 or 6 or Deere 750, need weight as well as tracks for trees. 550 Deere is a small if not portable with enough capacitty to do most farm work. Dresser is not much more than IHC, the rails are difficult if not unavailable for repairs, parts are scarce. If you have the cash or credit going to a trackhoe is a better choice all around.

Yeah, I wish we could afford the trackhoe route but it's out of our price range. If we move trees it won't be either huge ones or very many if it happens. We have a lot of scrub oak and smaller timber and brush. The Deere is what I am leaning towards as well, as there are a LOT of them out there so even good used parts should be plentiful.

I found out more on the JD 450E that I am most interested in. As noted in the work order

"The pivot pin and bushings that hold support to C-frame are worn out and bottom of C frame is cracked No action taken on this problem"

I called the shop that did the work and they could not give me any info other than the owner (or his rep) said not to proceed with fixing that. They did say that just removing the C frame is a $2500 in labor job plus parts, line boring etc. he said it was a job "in the Thousands $$$$" Anyone care to comment on that?

I'm really interested in the machine because so much work was already done to it, and it was pretty much all gone over and serviced/repaired of so many things.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0ByeEJx0KXSKXZDdVajRCOThraDg <--- here is the link to the work order (with my comments on it in red) :)

johndeere123

Are you buying a smaller machine based on price or do you want the small machine for landscape and finish work? It may be more economical to buy an old D6 or TD15 for farm work. Just a thought.

Jaybo

Occupation
Are you buying a smaller machine based on price or do you want the small machine for landscape and finish work? It may be more economical to buy an old D6 or TD15 for farm work. Just a thought.

Ideally I would be looking at a 650 or so, but yes, price is a factor. Old D6C's are out there but mostly look pretty tired and about $25k and up. I know they would be a lot better as a farm dozer, but the small 450 or 550's can do a lot of work, parts are seemingly plentiful and reasonably cheap. 6 way blade is also pretty much a requirement. It may take some more time to get the work done but I think the versatility of the 15k class machine is pretty decent.

oldirt

a 450 deere cat won't do crap compared to a really tired C. There is a reason the old cats still have considerable value.

norite

The 450E is the pick of the litter of the bunch you posted.

The dealer/shop has gone through it so at least you know what has been done.

Get oil analysis done on the motor, transmission and final drives. Might predict problems that are not apparent yet.

Get the dealer to give you a track/undercarriage inspection and report as to estimated service life. Looks like pads have had grouser bars welded on, OK but they are not "new". Have the bushings been turned or can they be turned?

C-frame and pivot repair. All old dozers have slop in the blade, more or less. Weld up any cracks and run it like that for now until you can find some good used parts if you are able to do so. Blade looks like it is getting thin above the cutting edge, this is normal and will need a re-skin someday but it is good for a while yet.

If you are used to a D7 see if you can rent that machine for a month, with credit towards the purchase price if you take it. Or rent a similar machine from the dealer, the 450 is a "trim dozer" while the D7 is a "production" dozer. You may find that a 450 is a little light for your needs or what you are used to.

Good luck with it if you buy it.

Jaybo

Occupation
a 450 deere cat won't do crap compared to a really tired C. There is a reason the old cats still have considerable value.

I know I know ... There are some 6C's out there - its just that they are 20+ years older and all the unknowns worry us. We can't afford to get into a money pit machine. I know it is just going to get operated a few hours here and there - sigh ...

Jaybo

Occupation
The 450E is the pick of the litter of the bunch you posted.

The dealer/shop has gone through it so at least you know what has been done.

Get oil analysis done on the motor, transmission and final drives. Might predict problems that are not apparent yet.

Get the dealer to give you a track/undercarriage inspection and report as to estimated service life. Looks like pads have had grouser bars welded on, OK but they are not "new". Have the bushings been turned or can they be turned?

It is private party sale. I could call the nearby dealer and see how much they charge for an undercarriage estimate. I will do the oil samples and I know a couple mechanics that could also go with me to take a look. 5600 hours so I am assuming original undercarriage and noticed the weld on bars - With all of the 450's around I was thinking that when it was time to do the sprockets and chains there would be a decent selection of used out there.

C-frame and pivot repair. All old dozers have slop in the blade, more or less. Weld up any cracks and run it like that for now until you can find some good used parts if you are able to do so. Blade looks like it is getting thin above the cutting edge, this is normal and will need a re-skin someday but it is good for a while yet.

Even if it is the pivots/bushings where the C-frame attaches to the dozer? Talking to the shop that did the work it's a $2500 charge just to R&R the C-frame, plus whatever cost for parts and line boring. This is the only thing that is worrying me about the machine overall. I have good friends at a local fab shop that are welding pro's so not to worried about that. Also a lot better hourly rate than the dealer mechanics.

If you are used to a D7 see if you can rent that machine for a month, with credit towards the purchase price if you take it. Or rent a similar machine from the dealer, the 450 is a "trim dozer" while the D7 is a "production" dozer. You may find that a 450 is a little light for your needs or what you are used to.

Good luck with it if you buy it.

Oh yeah, I do realize that this is a far smaller machine than what I run. At work I have the (supposedly) very last D7R off the line before they switched to only D7E's - only 500hrs on it so far and it's a sweet machine Air supported, A/C blowing, stereo equipped heaven! :) In the ideal world we would be spending around $30K and getting a 650 or D5 or D6 size machine but that really isn't in the cards right now.

Thanks for your reply it's all helpful!

oldirt

from what I have seen they can all be a money pit, the newer ones have parts that just cost several times as much. have you considered just hiring your work done and deducting the whole job? When they leave you have no headaches.

Jaybo

Occupation
from what I have seen they can all be a money pit, the newer ones have parts that just cost several times as much. have you considered just hiring your work done and deducting the whole job? When they leave you have no headaches.

Or just renting a machine for a month, and busting butt on getting all the projects done. It's my Brother-in-law that has gotten the cat bug and wants to do a bunch of stuff on the farm. He's now having 2nd thoughts on the 450 I found and wants to maybe look at getting an older cheaper machine. he knows of someone who has a a 74 450B that is in decent running shape and the price is around $7-$8k - So who knows, I want to get something that is in good shape and feel the price difference would be worth it for newer and with some service history. Guess we will have to talk more about it.

jd450dozer

id go with john deere 550 or 650g for farm, THOUGH tractors have run both of mine upwards of 15,000 hrs with minimal cost.

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
My brother and I bought an older, rather junky, log truck... old Binder short logger with a 220 Cummins, and a Prentice knuckleboom self-loader, a jerry–rigged pulp wood bucket... all stuck (mounted?) on the back of the truck.

We knew what shape it was in, every thing worked, more or less, and we just needed something to haul a few loads from the woods, to our small saw mill, down at the house... just "once in a while", and it was only 5 miles.

I swear... we both said this to ourselves, and each other... lol
I know it is just going to get operated a few hours here and there - sigh ...

Well, it was a "sigh"... and the old Binder now carries a "drill fill" around for wheat seeding, which is once a year... really is only "once in a while", but still somewhat of a "sigh"... :eek:

We try very hard not to be persuaded by that temptation now, and I know it is a hard thing to resist.

"Once in a while", or "here and there" just doesn't seem to work out like a guy has in mind, not for us, anyway... :Banghead

The Prentice sets in the weeds... maybe I'll make something out of it, one of these days... :idea lol

I did read the work order on the JD 450E though, good comments...:thumbsup

And... you don't have to worry about JILL POKES, for right now... ;)... lol

OCR... :)

Jaybo

Occupation
I have a line on a Dresser TD7G for a very nice price - have yet to look at it but it is a retiring sale and price is around $5k New motor about 300 hrs ago, (not rebuilt, he says, but new replacement) Said the hour meter broke at the 4000hr range and he guesses it has about 5000hrs on it now. Says it works just fine with no issues at all, U/C is good. My thought is I couldn't really lose money on it unless there was a major problem. I can't find any real specs or info on these though, so who has a link for this info? I know it isn't Deere - but the price is great so...

Last edited:

Jaybo

Occupation
OCR -

I know how to Google, I was just surprised not to find a complete spec page when I was looking, just the very basic info and threads about fixes and such. I'll keep going through old posts though and see if I find a link somewhere :) Thanks!