• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Used Champion graders?

Welder Dave

I might be in the market for an older used grader and Champion's seem to be the most common for a lower cost older machine. I've seen a few older D740's listed around $15K a D680 for $10,000 a D562 at $12K and a D600 for $12K. I'm wondering if it possible to buy a decent older grader in this price range and if certain models are more desirable or should be avoided. I don't need a big grader and it won't get a lot of hours but does need to be somewhat reliable with parts availability. I'm a little more inclined to the D562 because it is a 4 cylinder but was looking for advice from those more experienced with Champion graders. I'm in Edmonton so am real close to Jade equipment for parts. They also have an older D740 listed for 15K but was thinking I could pay them to inspect what I was interested in. Any advice is appreciated.

brianscathouse

Occupation
Auto repair shop owner/mechanic
I just purchased 2. A D562 in working order for 4K and a 780A for 13K. Both in operable condition. Jade supplied a few lift cylinder seal kits to get the 562 up and running. Seem like good old machines for way less than a Cat.

Silveroddo

What kind of work are you doing/what do you need a machine for?
Not sure what your market is like up there but those prices sound kind of steep for machines that age. Good older cheap blades are few and far between, but they can still be found.
If you can get into the 720/730/740 machines series 1 or series 2 machines you'd probably be a little better off. I've got a Series 1 720 that's an early 80's model and its a pretty tough simple machine. I'd steer clear of the Allis Diesel motors (Doubt theres many left at this point). Theres 100 things to check on an old used blade. At that age its more likely than not going to have some significant play somewhere, which just is what it is. Check the front end, see how loose the king pines are, check wheel bearings. Hydraulic cylinder seals, Mouldboard (Has it had the cutting edge worn through into the frog, is the face of the blade cracking anywhere, is it straight, etc.) Do most of the vital gauges work? Anything been unhooked? Trans pressure normal, does it fluctuate. If its a power shift any signs of excessive heat/cooling issues. Are the Hydraulics smooth and have reasonable speed? Has it been getting grease, are fins on the radiator and trans cooler clean? How good are the brakes, leaks at the wheel cylinders, evidence of the master cylinder getting topped off excessively? Is the rubber serviceable, rims rusty and show evidence of calcium chloride.
Paying a mechanic for a once over is well worth it, there's a steep learning curve and if your not able to perform your own repairs, rebuild hydraulic cylinders, etc. a cheap worn out machine is going to cost you as much or more than a decent machine in the long run. I've picked machines up for 10k and put a few grand into them and had a serviceable (read old, ugly, but reliable) machine that made money, but I had time, only put a few hundred hours a year on, and don't mind wrenching on old junk. Down here high teens to 20k is the low end of the price range for something from the late 80's to early 90's that isn't shot. (Dresser, Champion, Older Deeres)

Welder Dave

I'm building a 1/4 mile flat track 65' wide for motorcycles and also have an MX track. A grader would come in handy for a lot of things and levels better than anything else. Driveway is about a 1/4 mile as well. I e-mailed Jade and they do inspections but I don't know what they charge. He suggested if I get time to come and talk to them. The D562 shows about 13,775 hours but hour meters can't be trusted and I don't know what's considered high hours for a grader. Here's an ad for the D562. If needing the seat recovered is the biggest issue wouldn't be bad. I'm not sure if a D562 could be a 1975 though. Manual trans. may be better for my uses as there's less to go wrong than a power shift.

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Champion...1382961_20070207133906109/?ms=heavy_equipment

Silveroddo

It would probably do the job just fine, IMO its priced on the high side but if everything works and its fairly ready to go it could be in the ball park for what's available up there. You've probably got the right idea on staying away from old power shifts.

Welder Dave

It's at a used equipment dealer and has been there awhile. I think the price is high too. I think $7500-$8000 is more in the ballpark. It looks decent in the pics. but that can be deceiving until you see it in person.

Metalman 55

I bought this old 740 Champion about 18 months ago & it runs pretty good. Does a beautiful job of grading out large areas like this parking lot. I think I paid $7,500 for it & likely spent another 4k on wiring issues & drive tires. A nice old machine now & all the lights work on it.

Attachments

• 20160622_120221.jpg
    20160622_120221.jpg
    7.6 MB · Views: 42

alco

Dave, did you pull the trigger on a machine yet? I have a friend who has an old D600 for sale pretty cheap.

Welder Dave

I haven't bought anything. I was just wondering if you can find a decent older machine that won't cost a fortune to get in working condition.

alco

I'll send you a PM. Just to be clear, I am not trying to use the forum to sell anything, just trying to help a fellow member find a machine.

Welder Dave

Appreciate that. I never took it you were trying to sell anything, just know someone who has a machine I may be interested in.

swampyro

Hi all, we are in australia and have bought a D-562 at a local 'clearing' sale, we have a parts book for the machine and the Cummins motor, but we are looking for an Operator / Service manual, as most of the usual graders here are Allis, Cat & JD to mention a few, it anyone can help that would be great, if anyone knows any info on the old girl, as it is an unknown factor to us. 24291714_10154826791936036_5999889830104839953_o.jpg Cheers Rusty.