• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

USDOT # and IFTA for non commercial use?

MG84

Something I've been wondering, can you use a "commercial vehicle" for private use without a USDOT number and IFTA sticker? Situation in question is this:
I have a Class 7 medium-duty truck + 11-ton pintle hitch trailer, registered at 40,000lbs gross, that I use for my construction business. In VA we don't need DOT numbers, or any markings on the truck whatsoever if we stay in state. I also stay within 100mi radius of home, so no log books or any of that. Literally all I need to drive it is the CDL in my pocket. I do have a current DOT medical card.

Three situations I'd like to go out of state with it, first two I'd consider personal, not for commerce:
1. Hauling my equipment to my property in NC, to do work for myself.

2. Hauling our jeeps/4wds to trail rides in another state, could be in NC, TN, KY or WV.

3. Picking up a purchased piece of equipment, this is where things could be considered interstate commerce, depending on the intended use of the equipment, IDK?

I can't find anything specific in the laws that address these situations, maybe some of you know off hand? What do I need to be legal, and even if I am legal how much grief will DOT give me if they pull me over? Any insight is appreciated.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
You do not need a DOT# for personal use. Your scenario #3 would be the sketchiest. You would probably need to be able to prove your story on the side of the road though.

A friend of mine was helping a lady in his church move from Nebraska to Michigan a couple years ago. He had to get the Pastor of the church on the line on the side of the road near Omaha to convince the DOT man that it was not for profit.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
If it’s registered to a business and has business insurance it’s gonna be hard to convince that officer it’s personal use even if it’s hauling your personal stuff. They’ve heard every story and excuse in the book. Should it be that way? Nope. Even though is becomes a federal thing being interstate travel each state has their own little quirks.

skyking1

call the DOT in NC and ask the guys. They will not bite your head off :)
Seriously they will give you the lowdown on what to expect and what they expect from you.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Leaving the state will have many challenges. Maybe, even with your insurance company.
Your MSC-150 will have to be updated to interstate. It will be very difficult to convince the creeper cops that you are not engaging in commerce.

MG84

Sounds like on the Federal level I'm ok, state level maybe or maybe not...

My business is a sole proprietorship and the trucks are registered in my name. I do have commercial insurance through Farm Bureau however, and it does cover me regardless of what state I'm in.

Also I don't have an MSC-150 on file, never needed one since a USDOT number isn't required in VA.

The only guy I know that's gotten in trouble for not having DOT #'s going between VA and NC was in industrial salvage and moving items back and forth with his pickup and gooseneck. Best I can recall he had the DOT #'s on his larger trucks but didn't realize he needed them on the pickup (or thought he could get away with it.) Got the numbers on the truck and all was well.

With that being said, I did some reading and NC does require Intrastate DOT numbers on all "motor carriers" operating in state. I guess that's where you'd have to be able to prove it was private, non-commercial use.

Sounds like it may not be worth the hassle

Shimmy1

call the DOT in NC and ask the guys. They will not bite your head off :)
Seriously they will give you the lowdown on what to expect and what they expect from you.
And then call them the next day and get a different answer, next week call again and get a different answer. Rinse and repeat until you get the answer you want.

MG84

And then call them the next day and get a different answer, next week call again and get a different answer. Rinse and repeat until you get the answer you want.
Slightly unrelated, but the DMV is even worse when it comes to heavy truck stuff, it's amazing that DMV and DOT have such a discombobulated relationship within the same state. I went to switch a truck I recently bought from farm truck tags to regular truck tags so I could use it in the construction business. For some reason this crashed their system and no one knew what to do. The issue was the fact the truck was bought as a farm truck, with no sales tax paid, then I wanted to switch it to a regular truck tag (also no sales tax since it's over 26,000lbs), but for some reason this wasn't possible. After much discussion between the DMV ladies, a couple calls and emails to Richmond, and an ever growing line of impatient customers behind me, they couldn't figure out how to do it. I gave up, will just have to let the current registration run out and start from scratch.

MG84

I won't bother with a reply even though I've been in the trucking business 48 years,
you see I've been told---I don't know sh!t.
Well I'D still welcome a reply, regardless of what whomever may have said. Although it sounds like most are in agreement, private use of an otherwise CMV isn't worth the hassle.

Looks like I'll have to go rent one of those damn dump trailers I like so much and pull it behind my pickup lol

PeterG

Occupation
Contractor
From the FMCSA web site:
You are required to obtain a USDOT number if you have a vehicle that: Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 4,536 kg (10,001 pounds) or more, whichever is greater;

Your International Flatbed truck should have a DOT number on it and GVW weight on it. Once you have the DOT number, might as well put it on you other truck. Sorry, can't remember your other truck. Was it a Ford F700? What's the IFTA sticker?

As you are a business, probably should go ahead and do it.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
From the FMCSA web site:
You are required to obtain a USDOT number if you have a vehicle that: Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 4,536 kg (10,001 pounds) or more, whichever is greater;

Not necessarily here in AL. If your truck or truck and trailer weigh 26,000 or less and you operate intrastate then you do not need a USDOT. I had to get one when we bought our L9000. Up till then all our trucks and trucks + trailers were under.

If you qualify as a commercial motor vehicle as defined by (49 CFR 390.5), the answer is YES. All commercial vehicles in Alabama must be marked with either an Interstate USDOT# or an Intrastate USDOT#. However, if you are an Intrastate company operating straight trucks and trucks with trailers having Gross Vehicle Weight Ratings (GVWR) or Gross Combination Weight Ratings (GCWR) of 26,000 pounds or less (other than passenger buses and hazardous material or hazardous waste haulers), you are exempt from all Federal Regulations while operating within the State of Alabama and a USDOT# is NOT required.

Helped a good friend of mine that works all over the state out of a ticket from an overzealous state trooper that wrote one of his 3500's with 10K lb trailer up for no USDOT#. Combo was under 26K and he operates only in AL. Got out of that ticket as he should have.

PeterG

Occupation
Contractor
Well another way to look at it is, why not put DOT numbers on your truck? These days, many people think contractors are a bit "Sketchy".

Having your Company name on the side of the truck, maybe a phone number, and DOT number makes you look more professional. I have even gone so far at times to add other safety stickers on the truck with stickers that say fire extinguisher in cab, watch for wide right turns etc. I even have yellow flashers on the truck. This isn't always to please OSHA and State Patrol, but to help with business and make it easier for me to do business. I had a fellow contractor once ask me why I had the yellow flashers in the rear. Beside making it safer for me, I told him those were my screw you lights. Like when I double park the truck and blocking the road for a bit such as when unloading. If you look like a homeowner with a big truck in the way you're a jerk. Throw on the flashers and now it's "Construction" going on. No problem.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Our lack of tort reform in Alabama keeps me from putting our names on the side our trucks. A commercial vehicle is an easier target for the slip and fall types that live off lawsuits.

Can't go a mile down I-65 without seeing an Alexander Shunnarah billboard advertising how much he sued a company for. Which is ironic enough that we did the site prep for the building he calls his HQ.

However we have installed yellow flashing strobes on both our small trailers and 3500 flatbed for the same reasons.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Alabama trucking sounds both fun and interesting. Makes me want to grab my CDL and do Gulf Coast heavy haul and eat Bama BBQ pork ribs.

Long Haul Paul told a story about Alabama trucking and politics. Wallace didn’t want no scales and he didn’t like the tolls.

Your Govna’ said “keep the people working, let those big trucks roll!”.

MG84

USDOT number is not required in VA if you stay in state, regardless of the weight. IIRC we are one of only 12 states that do not require it.

At the quarry you’ll probably see less than half the trucks have a DOT number. About the only ones that do are from large companies that work in multiple states. Many have no markings at all including some very nice, new trucks, most of these belong to local contractors. I’ve never had the need or desire to put my name or phone number on the side of my trucks, but thats just me, I like to keep things clean and simple. As CM1995 pointed out sometimes it's better to just blend in.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
Unless changes of recent, in Illinois you don't need DOT numbers unless traveling out of state, or your pulling unit is three axles or more. Then it's required. I always had the numbers on the rollbacks as they were hauling for hire, and did operate interstate. Apportionment licensing also. IFTA made it much easier on the office work as we fueled in each state adequately from basically the same stops.

Out of all the years, and with one exception from a smart aleck driver, there were no problems. Several of the citations were resultant of his mouth and were bartered down and/or dismissed; as was the driver which played into the equation.

Some of those cops running DOT enforcement are just like you and me; ordinary folks doing a job. You present a cordial and professional appearance, keep the ears, eyes open, and mouth shut, it goes a lot easier. Of course not having any gross violations helps too.

bam1968

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Alabama trucking sounds both fun and interesting. Makes me want to grab my CDL and do Gulf Coast heavy haul and eat Bama BBQ pork ribs.

Long Haul Paul told a story about Alabama trucking and politics. Wallace didn’t want no scales and he didn’t like the tolls.

Your Govna’ said “keep the people working, let those big trucks roll!”.

Years ago I loved hauling cattle across those southern states. In Alabama if I was under 85,000 lbs would just hand the scale master $25 and keep on truckin. IIRC we bought 30 day 'harvest permits' that let us go 84-85,000 lbs in mississippi and louisiana for a few dollars. Hell I wouldn't even think about crossing a scale up here in Iowa 5,000 lbs over gross cause it would cost you a weeks wages.