• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Update on operators course.

Madman

Well it's been 3 weeks now ( 5 more to go ) and I said I would keep those of you interested updated. Lets see now, the first 6 "long" days were spent in the classroom:( learning all about safety, maintenance, greasing, basic earth moving procedures,videos etc... then finally on day #7 we were put on a machine:D . The first 2 days I spent pushing a tire back and forth with a Hitachi 120 excavator. That's alot harder then I thought until you get few hours practice and very good to learn as I later found out ! After that we spent 2 days digging trenches and backfilling them ( on the same machine ). Next day I got to use a Cat 312 excavator to make a big pile of fill while a dozer kept pushing it to me. Now the last 2 days I've been on a fairly new JD 310 backhoe and I don't think I ever want to get off of it:D it's pretty sweet ! It's all been great so far and we're on the machines all day, there's more machines then students. Still have 3 or 4 more days left for in the classroom:Banghead but that will be saved for rainy days. The 2 instructors seem pretty decent too, which helps. In 5 more weeks when I'm done I'll be ready for work, I feel real comfortable on everything ( so far ):notworthy Any questions just ask. I'll post again later.

Grader4me

I feel real comfortable on everything ( so far ):notworthy Any questions just ask. I'll post again later.

That's great! If that's the way you feel on the equipment now,that's a good sign. Take a look around at the progress of the other students and compare with your progress and operating skills. Sounds like you are having a blast!

Madman

do they teach you to run a dozer at all? shoot grades and lay pipe?

They have 3 different size dozers we learn on and we learn a bit about grade and a "dumphey level" ( not sure on the spelling ) which we haven't gotten into yet. Not sure yet about the pipe laying part but we've been digging trenches with different slopes.

murray83

Occupation
jack of all trades....master of none
Sounds like your having fun and thats the main thing :)

Thinking of going to Alberta after you graduate?

Madman

Might have to, unless I want to be someones slave for $10/hour around here !:Banghead :D

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
I can't remember where you said you are from ?

Alberta is the place to go if you want to make big money. You will have to buy a motorhome or a rv trailer to live in. Also another thing to get would be your level 3 first aid ticket that really helps.

Madman

I can't remember where you said you are from ?

Alberta is the place to go if you want to make big money. You will have to buy a motorhome or a rv trailer to live in. Also another thing to get would be your level 3 first aid ticket that really helps.

I'm in Nova Scotia. I've got a tent :D but I won't be buying a motor home/trailer anytime soon :(

murray83

Occupation
jack of all trades....master of none
If you do go the Alberta route look for camp jobs only,your just as easy to get $12/hr and live in NS cheap that get $30 in the cities and pay $1000 a month for rent :( at least in a camp its a bed to sleep on and they feed you and if you get the right spot fly you home for around a week.

I have been weighing my options here in NB and sometimes there's no place like home.

wrenchbender

I'm in Nova Scotia. I've got a tent :D but I won't be buying a motor home/trailer anytime soon :(

Why not? I've got a cheap one for sale and fuel consomption is almost nothing at all. Of coarse the engine is out and rear axle and......... well you might not want this one after all:rolleyes:

But really I'm glad to hear you're liking it cause there ain't nothing better than enjoying what you do to make a living.

Attachments

• fer sale.jpg
    fer sale.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 189

Grader4me

Why not? I've got a cheap one for sale and fuel consomption is almost nothing at all. Of coarse the engine is out and rear axle and......... well you might not want this one after all:rolleyes:

But really I'm glad to hear you're liking it cause there ain't nothing better than enjoying what you do to make a living.

It's to bad you couldn't haul it out to Alberta...Probably fetch 75 grand or so for it.:eek: :D

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Holy crap that must be a heavy pull with a old Ford :laugh

In Alberta accomodations are getting few far and between it is getting down to people renting bedrooms and air mattresses. Last summer I talked to quite a few Alberta that were passing through where I work. They said camp grounds are full to the gills and people are living in tents etc. Anything that is good for rent is rented in seconds. Anything that is still for rent isn't worth renting or the price is too high.

The best way is to live in a camp you work something like 14 days on 7 off. What I have been told from guys that have gone to Alberta for work said you need to stay away from the gambling,boozing and drugs and I mean white stuff you sniff. It is a big problem many guys end up with no money.

Personally I'am not going to go to Alberta I thought about it and it comes down to money doesn't make happyness. I know two Nova Scotians that moved here years ago they say its nice back there. Part of my familly is from there too.

wrenchbender

Ford LT-9000 I only moved that about 1/4 mile but I've had some real loads behind her in the past. Going ain't no problem whoaing on the other hand can be a chore at times. Maybe I'll just fax that old RV to Alberta instead of pulling it. lol

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
I have had many old Fords they sure don't stop very well. Used to put 3-3.5 ton on my old 77 F-350 dually used to carry the load but had troubles stopping.