• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tyee Machinery Works / Skookum-Tyee

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
Keep The Faith Trakloader...

I couldn't have you going to bed with this information hanging a dark cloud over your head. I'll hunt down what I can about Westminster Ironworks and a few of the others because as you know, I am over here. I started this hunt back in the early '90s but child rearing got in the way. That and other hobbies. Now I can start putting more time to researching and hopefully I can bring more to this table. I hope to be out of the city in the next five years, but I will make good use of the local establishments in the meantime.

Another shot of my beloved J-87.

Attachments

• scan0012.jpg
    scan0012.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 1,042

Occupation
Running Supersnorkel
Would any kind of manuals for equipment help? loaders ,trucks, yarders I can check around up here and see what is sitting in some of our shops I all ready have the manual for an 075.Might be able to get some others, or a least copy them.We have a 046 sitting on a skagit under carrage and pipe, I think we might have the manuals for both of them have to check though.

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
075 - you are a good man. Grab all that you can even if it's duplicates of what you have now. This stuff is going fast as you may have seen what happened to me today. I bought some books from a Kenworth service rep off of Ebay a few years ago and we started a short e-mail exchange for awhile. He mentioned that he would walk into some of his stops on his rounds and would scoop all the books because the places were closing down and he knew they were just going to burn them. You guys are in a better position to find these things than I am. I'll just start digging in Vancouver Library archives and what have you. Reading your post kind of picked up my spirits - I've been booting myself all day.

Occupation
Running Supersnorkel
At the next Master mechanics meeting the call will go out to all Western Master Mechanics to donate all old manuals they have, will see what happens . Who should I send them to if i get something ? I do not have the time or resoures to do any think meaningfull with them.

trakloader

At the next Master mechanics meeting the call will go out to all Western Master Mechanics to donate all old manuals they have, will see what happens . Who should I send them to if i get something ? I do not have the time or resoures to do any think meaningfull with them.

Gee, I guess either jackd or myself, I guess. We'd have to reimburse you for the shipping, of course.

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
Here's the deal. I'm over here for now - the stinking Lower Mainland - and hopefully for the next five years only, but the plan is to return to Vancouver Island - probably Courtenay area. So depending where you want the artifacts geographically to wind up is where you might want to send them. Trakloader has much greater knowledge and connections in regards to this historical information and I would defer to him for leadership in the matter. See what you find and then we will decide to allocate it where. Thanks for doing this!

Jim1960

Sparmatics were not a loved machine in my Division either and therefore I gravitated toward them. They got all the Goat shows and the foremen left you alone. I liked the extra lift from the 120 foot spar and the regenerator brake which made it easy to get slack on your rigging. Or so I was told. They must have operated for at least 25 years at Sproat Lake. Have a look through your records for any details that you may have. These animals are of real interest to me. The numbering range of the QCD machines (J-92 & J-93) make me think that M & B must have bought a bunch of them and sprinkled them around - ours were the J-87 & J -88. I'll check out your postings on the Hayes thread as well.

Not Pacific Coastal - I still value my life..... Just kidding on that one. No the other guys and don't think that I mean AC.

Picture of the J-88 and the L-231 back in '78. That's the back of Tom Armich - Hooker.

Hope that thing had some good haulback brakes-that's a steep down hill show right to the landing.

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
I imagine that you had to stand pretty hard on those peddles - and as you see we ran a scab line most times. Funny thing is, one of the long time operators that I chummed with recently had to have his hip joints replaced while he was only in his mid-50s. I suspect standing on those brakes all day must have worn him out. Asbestos in the brake linings must also have been delightful to breath all day - eventually they put air conditioning in the cabs to pressurize them and to keep the dust out.

Jim1960

I imagine that you had to stand pretty hard on those peddles - and as you see we ran a scab line most times. Funny thing is, one of the long time operators that I chummed with recently had to have his hip joints replaced while he was only in his mid-50s. I suspect standing on those brakes all day must have worn him out. Asbestos in the brake linings must also have been delightful to breath all day - eventually they put air conditioning in the cabs to pressurize them and to keep the dust out.

Back in the mid 80's, I worked for a logger down here in Washington, Munn Logging out of Granite Falls. Munn specialized in long span, rough ground shows, almost always down hill. Munn had two machines when I worked there, a Tyee slackline machine with a Madill tube and a Madill 052 tension yarder.

We mostly used the Tyee on these long span jobs. On one job we had about 5000' of skyline out, running a "south-bend system" and side blocking as much as a thousand feet off the skyline. We were flying the logs over standing timber, a creek, more standing timber, and a road. We had so much lift that had to hang a piece of a ripper blade off a TD25 behind the fall block for weight just so we could get the rigging down. This weight was shaped like a tooth and we called it the toothache. We painted the toothache bright pink so that we could see it in the fog. We used to tie the back end of the yarder down on these downhill shows, but quit doing that when we bent the tube over in the middle one time. It was quite a sight to watch the back end of that machine come up off the ground when there was a big turn hanging on the skyline. The tracks would lift up five or six feet sometimes. I asked the engineer if it bothered him and he said not really. It bothered him more when the tube got pulled down.

I worked a few times under the Madill 052, again in downhill shows. Contract logger has posted pictures of what is left of this machine on the Madill thread. We never used the slack-pulling carriage, we always ran a Grabinski with butt-rigging. People found it hard to believe when I told them that were running a Grabinski out 3500' and yarding downhill. That machine would fly a big turn of logs fully suspended all the way. Quite a sight. The only thing I did not like about working on that machine was the size of the rigging we used. 24" blocks for tail blocks. On steep ground we'd make a haywire layout just to move those blocks and straps sometimes.

trakloader

The K-65 had the regen brakes, sort of an interlock, so once you got the logs up, you didn't have to ride the brake. Not like the Madills and Skagits, where the engineer would be standing on one peddle or the other all day.

Occupation
Running Supersnorkel
The sparmatic slack line I started in woods on In Zeballos had manual brakes, just high leaded with it never did see it slack line. Did see it pull over fairlead into the coal deck pile though ,both back quarters pulled,was chasing at the time hard to find a place to hide in the landing with it going over, just pulled the ram apart never bent a thing,the pile saved it

trakloader

The sparmatic slack line I started in woods on In Zeballos had manual brakes, just high leaded with it never did see it slack line. Did see it pull over fairlead into the coal deck pile though ,both back quarters pulled,was chasing at the time hard to find a place to hide in the landing with it going over, just pulled the ram apart never bent a thing,the pile saved it

I'm told that Grandpa knocked over one of our Sparmatics, swung the long boom into a guyline. The two they had here would have been manual brakes, too, I suppose. One was even converted from a steam yarder. The ones jackd worked on were more advanced, they had Tyee K-65 yarders. They may have been the only ones built with K-65's, I've never heard of any others so equipped.

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
Is there any history anywhere of Frank Lawrence - the designer of the Sparmatic? Anything in these Highballer or other period magazines? I would love to get a more complete history of when his design efforts were starting to gain ground and where it all led to. It's good to hear all the stories coming in from other forum members who cut their teeth working on these things.

trakloader

Is there any history anywhere of Frank Lawrence - the designer of the Sparmatic? Anything in these Highballer or other period magazines? I would love to get a more complete history of when his design efforts were starting to gain ground and where it all led to. It's good to hear all the stories coming in from other forum members who cut their teeth working on these things.

I haven't seen anything other than what was in Ken Drushka's books. Same for Archie McKone, too. This province was full of inventors at one time, pretty much every camp had one.

Occupation
Running Supersnorkel
Zeballos sparmatic had a View name plate on it .Was so long ago hard to remember little thinks. Do remember one chaser working on it , the mainline clutch had the wooded friction blocks in it and they would squeel on a hard pull , so he got upthere under the cab when they were setting a turn and took the oilcan an oilled the mainline blocks she did not squeel anymore.Funny has hell at the time