• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Turning Volvo chain pins & bushings

Lagwagon

2012 ec210 cl.
Anyone done this or can see any issues on this era machine? I can’t see any and I’ll be taking them into a professional shop.

cheers.

Bluox

2012 ec210 cl.
Anyone done this or can see any issues on this era machine? I can’t see any and I’ll be taking them into a professional shop.

cheers.
You know it's real hard to answer a question like this with such minimal info on your machine.
I've been doing this awhile and I've never even had this question brought up.
Usually by the time bushings are wore out links are starting to crack .
Bad Bob

Lagwagon

You know it's real hard to answer a question like this with such minimal info on your machine.
I've been doing this awhile and I've never even had this question brought up.
Usually by the time bushings are wore out links are starting to crack .
Bad Bob
BB I wasn’t after advice on the condition of my chains. I don’t want to pull them off, drive 5 hours to the shop for them to say ‘oh these chains, sorry no can do’ ,obviously that’s highly unlikely but Volvo like to complicate their engineering so you never know.

Shimmy1

BB I wasn’t after advice on the condition of my chains. I don’t want to pull them off, drive 5 hours to the shop for them to say ‘oh these chains, sorry no can do’ ,obviously that’s highly unlikely but Volvo like to complicate their engineering so you never know.
I can't imagine that those rails are any different than any other old excavator rail. Have you checked with these guys? https://www.heavyquip.com/index.php
I just put a new undercarriage on our Case 210C this winter. Rails, bottom rollers, top rollers, idlers, sprockets, and all the bolts was $12,500 delivered to our door.

Shimmy1

I just noticed you're from Australia. I'm curious to what kind of numbers you're going to get on a turn. It's all about cost. The rails from our 210 are still in great shape, even the bushings don't have that much wear. The wear is in the pins and the inside of the bushings. I know these rails would last another 5000 hours.

The problem is the guys running OEM are making so much money they don't care, and aftermarket is so cheap, there aren't any track shops around any more. Just buy $hit from China or Korea, and throw it in the trash when it's half worn-out. I can understand Bob's point if the rails are cracking, but I threw away a set of rails a couple years ago and have another set in the dumpster because it doesn't make sense when I can just buy a new set. Maybe I'm missing something here?

Vetech63

I just noticed you're from Australia. I'm curious to what kind of numbers you're going to get on a turn. It's all about cost. The rails from our 210 are still in great shape, even the bushings don't have that much wear. The wear is in the pins and the inside of the bushings. I know these rails would last another 5000 hours.

The problem is the guys running OEM are making so much money they don't care, and aftermarket is so cheap, there aren't any track shops around any more. Just buy $hit from China or Korea, and throw it in the trash when it's half worn-out. I can understand Bob's point if the rails are cracking, but I threw away a set of rails a couple years ago and have another set in the dumpster because it doesn't make sense when I can just buy a new set. Maybe I'm missing something here?
Back in the day a pin and bushing turn was a good cheap option to replacing rails..... If you caught the wear in time. The last set I had done was over 25 years ago and Cat did it for $1000 a rail. Aftermarkets (China, Korea) were pretty cheap and decent options for years after that, but since Covid and the issues with China the last several years the price on aftermarkets are approaching OEM. I have seen some Berco stuff that is even higher priced than OEM.

I priced a complete undercarriage for a customer 3 years ago for a Cat D3K. It was around $10K. That same undercarriage I priced for an identical machine 6 months ago was $17K .......identical manufacturers and parts. That's a huge difference.

Shimmy1

Back in the day a pin and bushing turn was a good cheap option to replacing rails..... If you caught the wear in time. The last set I had done was over 25 years ago and Cat did it for $1000 a rail.
That's about what I remember. Back in 2004 we bought a set of salvage rails off of a 8N that had burned up. Sitting in the yard, the links (they were SALT rails) were leaking oil. Zeigler Cat in MN had a track shop in St. Cloud I believe. They resealed them for $1000 per rail as well. I'd guess the new seals offset the price of not pressing the bushings.

TomA

I had pins and bushings turned on D2's and D4's years ago. As I recall it was around $500 a pair by Cat but it was 30 years ago. It used to be common on the dry chains.

tctractors

Volvo do not make Track Groups and have in the past had to stand a huge warranty bill due to grease sealed chains binding up, so nothing to fancy with a Volvo Track, in the U.K. nobody would bother to do a pin and bush turn on a Volvo Excavator, P & B is usually only something now done on Track Type Tractors D6 size and up, if Money is tight well you do what you have to do, but I would be thinking you would be throwing your coins in the wrong direction, chop a link out of both sides and you will be good to go for well over 1'000 hours if you avoid wasteful use of the undercart.

Lagwagon

Shimmy both shops said they’d get back to me with quotes but never did, talk about service.
Interesting you mention your wear pattern as mine is the opposite, have noticeable wear on bushings and sprockets yet rail Links are tight and have hardly any stretch in the chains, rollers are also good. As Uffex mentioned in his document, this machine has done a lot of ‘fetch and carry’ tasks in its previous life and I believe the owners didn’t bother tightening the chains to spec So that’s how they ended up in This state. Being that I have a lot of length to work with I was planning on turning them when the sprockets are done and hope the bushing haven’t gotten too thin.

Attachments

• FE02704E-B131-4ABB-97EB-001FE0CF89C6.jpeg
    FE02704E-B131-4ABB-97EB-001FE0CF89C6.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
  • E96439EF-53BC-4304-B8BF-F911B547E45A.jpeg
    E96439EF-53BC-4304-B8BF-F911B547E45A.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 9
  • A748E5A2-1EE3-4039-A2EA-468A7BD91650.jpeg
    A748E5A2-1EE3-4039-A2EA-468A7BD91650.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 9
  • 1271BF62-0F98-48B2-9F5E-4034F38721CB.jpeg
    1271BF62-0F98-48B2-9F5E-4034F38721CB.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 9

hseII

I can’t speak for Volvo but with Komatsu & CAT excavators, P&B turning isn’t typical.

The bushings will typically be busted when the rails are nearing being completely worn.

Bluox

Shimmy both shops said they’d get back to me with quotes but never did, talk about service.
Interesting you mention your wear pattern as mine is the opposite, have noticeable wear on bushings and sprockets yet rail Links are tight and have hardly any stretch in the chains, rollers are also good. As Uffex mentioned in his document, this machine has done a lot of ‘fetch and carry’ tasks in its previous life and I believe the owners didn’t bother tightening the chains to spec So that’s how they ended up in This state. Being that I have a lot of length to work with I was planning on turning them when the sprockets are done and hope the bushing haven’t gotten too thin.
Looks like you could short track those tracks.
Bad Bob

code_xi

Just been checking local pricing for new track chains. Cheapest pair of 49-L chain including sprockets and track pad bolts 2500EUR (2761USD). Branded chains few hundred more. Worth of even think about turning?