• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Trying Again.... JD 250 Skid steer?

derekbroerse

Since every machine I ever choose can be on the market for months seems to sell the day I commit to go get it, I'm still searching.

Found a line on a 2001 John Deere 250 nearby.

"John Deere skid steer with bucket, teeth & forks
1600hr. good shape must sell $10000 or make a offer"

Seem like a good deal? Are they a decent machine? I don't suppose they are a two-speed... not that I really need that but would be nice.

I want to go see it tonight or tomorrow night, so any quick reviews would be helpful.... or things to look for.

countryboy2783

Occupation
turn wrenchs on heavy equipment
Hey derek I'm new member but work on all kinds of equipment. Just worked on jd 322 .if I was buying one just mke sure tracks are in fair and rollers. Use bucket to lift up off ground and see if any are wore out. Undercarriages now adays are kinda pricey

derekbroerse

I was looking at prices to compare to as well... anything that cheap has a ton more hours on it, so I think its a good buy... eating dinner and going to see it.

derekbroerse

Very nice looking machine. Still in very good shape physically, could use a paint touch up here and there but very presentable as is. Tires are probably 50-60%. Forks look like new. Engine rebuilt by the Deere dealer at around 800hrs due to some sort of failure in 2004 when the current owner bought it (off a low-use 3yr lease). No broken welds or anything of that nature, perfectly straight still too. Has plexi side windows.

Almost too nice looking to be used for loading salt spreaders LOL. Fluid Film is my friend thought.... :D

I made a $9000 offer and he's gonna sleep on it til tomorrow. He wants to move and can't take it with him so I think I'll get it. I think its a hell of a buy at that price.

Before I hand any cash though--anything I should be looking for?

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
You really need to pass on this machine. The initial 200 series nearly pushed Deere out of the skid steer business. The Series II machines corrected some of the issues. If you want a Deere, I would find a 300 series machine.

derekbroerse

You really need to pass on this machine. The initial 200 series nearly pushed Deere out of the skid steer business. The Series II machines corrected some of the issues. If you want a Deere, I would find a 300 series machine.

Can anyone be more specific about the problems? I have read about electrical issues which scare me enough...

For my purposes an older machine without all the computer stuff would really be better, as the salt is so corrosive... I am leaning towards a New Holland or a JD for the vertical lift as it gives a bit more lift reach on the higher trucks--can anyone recommend a better choice then?

hvy 1ton

I have a 260II and don't like it. I've had only minor mechanical problems and a handful of electrical problems. I wear ear plugs in the cab, the hand controls are a workout for anyone short of a mud man, the controls are hard to finesse, did i mention the cab is LOUD?

MXZ

That's a good deal. There are plenty of those early 250's out there going stong with thousands of hours on them.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I dare say there are even more that are not around. I am not banging on Deere but its no secret that the inital series of Deere skid steers was a series of design and build issues that culminated in a train wreck. They worked through it and have a solid product now but the first series is not a machine that you want to buy into. IMHO.

spatterfree

awesome move passing it by, we had one, it was so bad john deere traded is pretty close to even out with a 2002, had hydraulic pump issues, motor almost fell out one time, the mounts vibrated loose from the terrible engine,
think they added another cylinder on the engine a couple years after that, correct me if I'm wrong,
Well I took your advice and passed on the machine.