• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Truck suspensions

500CAT

Hey guys. Im really having suspension/ vibration problems with the 404st. im pretty sure it has the AG-400 Air Glide Suspension. Just wondering does anyone know the correct height for the Height Control Valves?? Yesty only had a light load with 22 sp's (got a 24 pallet 48-ft) the left hand side gauge was readin jus over 3 1/4 and the right hand side was jus under the 3, it was riding real good on the smooth stuff and a few bumps here and there but the vibration jus wont go away!!!...we adjusted the sleeper cab lower but it didnt help!. does the 60 pound check valve stuff up every yr and would a dud HCV be a prob to?

muzy

My gusse would be a u-joint on the way out for the vibe prob. Had one that had a couple or three flat needles in it. Had to take them apart to find the bad joint. That mechanic was a heck of a guy, never doubted me. Others took truck for a spin around the block and said it was A-ok. Good old Kenny saved my back.
If you have daton style hubs pull wheels and make sure the hubs (spyders) are not bent. Good luck muzy

STRPETE

I would stay away from the KW 8 bag systems. From a mechanics perspective, they really suck to replace the rear diff, especially if you have a loaded dump box on top. If you want air, I would sugggest Pete Air Trac w/ 46k# locking diffs.

rino

Occupation
Drive steel bed Dump Truck for a paving company
I drove a semi dump on air off road! t600 Must dump ride air before you raise the bed. The last company I worked for had a Mack cl700? on air. again it was both on/off road and the ride air had to be dumped before you raised the bed! The problem with that is it changes the geometry on the brakes. Other than that those trucks were equipped with axle lock and wheel lock!

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
not familiar with this application, but if you have a driveline vibration, I would check the u-joints like Muzy suggested and definitely check the mid-shaft bearing. If its loose in the rubber bearing, its getting ready to come apart and thats not good, when it does that.
Make sure all you u-joint yokes are aligned with each other.
Good Luck

Last edited:
I have an older model 1985 Western Star tri-xle lowboy tractor that I pull dump with in & out of job site projects. It has 46,000lbs Eaton rears on Neway four bag air ride. I love it with lowboy or dump on / off road. Only problem I experience is it's a day cab with a 260 inch wheels base so it takes a good amount of planning your turning space before getting into a situation that you have to back out of. Off the road on uneven ground I lock the rears automatically but I did that with my Hendrix before breaking loose occurred anyway so no difference to me with AIR. The biggest mistake was one time many years ago while pulling belly dumps I got a deal on a nice truck with reyco suspension which couldn't take off in a dirty parking lot without getting bogged down so wound up adding frame rails with another boogie from under a wrecked air ride tractor which cured that problem..