• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Truck GVW change.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
That is confusing I read that too it says a gross combination of 26001 why couldn't they word it if your trailer has a gvw heavier than 10,000lbs you need a CDL.

The easiest thing is talk to a real person at the DMV it solves so many headaches with trying to decipher their mumbo jumbo. We have the same problem in B.C. with the rules and regulations. For us if the trailer has a gvw greater than 10,0000lbs you need a trailer endorsement on your license but after you get over a certian gross combined weight you need a CDL. Say your truck has juice brakes and the trailer has electric or juice brakes you don't need a class A so all you need is a Class B. But if the truck has air brakes and the trailer has air over juice or full air you need a class A.

I still can figure out why Canada and the US can't come up with the same licensing rules through out North America.

As for re-registering a truck for a heavier gvw you would have to get proof from the manufacture on the axle ratings. If you can find the axle tags to get the rear axle serial number.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
I would think it would be a lot easer to just get a CDL w/all the endorsements. That way you are covered for anything. Except motorcycle LOL

I was grandfathered in and only had to take the writen test for it all. But I have used my truck & trailer to help several others get there CDL.