• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Truck Driver Hit Power Line, Should He Be Fired?

FSERVICE

roll over pete, that's NOT how I meant that to be taken. yes that's the way it has always been the last 2 places I have worked, not that I condone doing drugs either!!! but stuff happens, I have rolled a truck on a country road (shoulder of road gave way safety guy confirmed this) but the first thing I got after "are you ok?" was you have to go for a drug test!! I was with that company for 5 years at that time & never had a accident.. was there for 6 more years after that, before I went out on my own still help them on their equipment

95zIV

Occupation
RR Contractor Super.
This mentality absolutely makes me want to defecate on these " holier than thou" employers.
To assume that one must be on drugs in the event of any mishap / accident before any of the facts are known is complete crap. When all else fails, a pee test will surely point out the guilty one.....right?
Once upon a time, men handled their business issues like men. Face to face, eye to eye with a mans word and a hand shake. Today, most men (employers) lack the testicular fortitude to handle things like a man. Instead, they use the "drug test" method to fire someone without having to facing them (like a man).

Not only that Pete, but what would we do without the ability to come on the internet and get a bunch of opinions on if a accident is a fire-able offence or not. 10-12 years ago I RIPPED the power lines OFF the local Ronald McDonald house in South Burlington VT. I called the boss on the spot and he was down there before I got back with the next load of stone(yes I left, the GC on site said that as long as the boss was coming I was good since I was hauling to the job all day). Boss just asked what happened, "I forgot to check "UP" before I raised the body", simple as that, the wire was put back on and I hauled to that job for 2 days straight, and since then I have NEVER hit another line.

**** happens and I think that there is way too much ******** these days when something stupid happens. Stand up, take your knocks(or give them if you're the boss having to deal with it), then get your ass back to work, there's too much stuff to be done to worry about the small stuff.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
A lot of time drug test is for insurance. We have been having lots of issues diving lately. In fact it has gotten so bad if you even bump into something your off for a drug test. Does the safety guy think we have a drug problem? No. He just wants to make it such a PITA if we hit something, that we start paying more attention.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
A lot of time drug test is for insurance.

Most of the time that's the case. GL, WC and Auto insurance carriers have a long list of requirements that must be met in order to cover claims and even write the policy in the first place. Without the ability to obtain "affordable" (none of the insurance is affordable but that's another issue.. :cool:) a company is basically out of business. Now a days a GC or owner won't even consider hiring you if you don't have insurance, regardless of your qualifications.

I am sure there are company's out there that use the pee test as an HR tool and that's not right either. I remember the days million dollar deals were done sitting around the table at the local diner with only a handshake, unfortunately those days are gone...:(

Randy88

With any incident or accident, I'm required to send the involved person or persons in for a drug/pee test as deemed by insurance, otherwise they'll cancel my policy, not if but when they find out about it.

As for being an excuse to fire someone, that drug test just might be what's used to help keep your job for a while longer, without it, the insurance company will deem he was drunk, on drugs or whatever and tell the owner that person goes down the road or else they'll cancell your policy, as they say speaking from experience on that issue, with a drug test at least I had an ability to argue with the insurance company on the employee's behalf, without it, he's history, that I can guarantee you.

razorclaw

I walked in on a fire or not to fire meeting once . They couldnt decide and asked me to tip the scale. I had only met the man once and used gut instinct on my decision.
He still works for us and that was 16 years ago.

still learn'n

When I started work for the company I work for I did some dumb things that I did not think ahead and cost my boss money and I know he did not appreciate what happened but we worked through it and now I have worked there for 10.5 years and that's still how things are and never had to have a pee test other then to get DOT physical if you trust and have confidence in your employees why would you want to fire them at the drop of the hat? Now if this was the 2nd or 3rd offense and the relationship wasn't so good that mite be a different story!

oldtanker

Occupation
Ret
As far as the drug testing goes that's normal today. Insurance mandates it most often. My SIL had a co worker who got in an accident. They picked him up, to him to the yard and told him he had to report for a drug test. He left and they haven't seen him sense, that was about 6years ago.

Rick

FMD

This mentality absolutely makes me want to defecate on these " holier than thou" employers.
To assume that one must be on drugs in the event of any mishap / accident before any of the facts are known is complete crap. When all else fails, a pee test will surely point out the guilty one.....right?
Once upon a time, men handled their business issues like men. Face to face, eye to eye with a mans word and a hand shake. Today, most men (employers) lack the testicular fortitude to handle things like a man. Instead, they use the "drug test" method to fire someone without having to facing them (like a man).

The FMCSR states if there is a death, injury or a disable unit, a drug screen shall be performed. Most insurance companies demands a drug screen post accidents. Even most states BWC gives discounts for a comprehensive drug screen processes. My employer even does drug screens on near misses. I attended a OSHA 1926 30 hour certification and it was said that 25 percent of industrial accidents are drug related. That is a pretty high incident rate. I personally have no problem with being drug tested on randoms (DOT regulation here) or post accidents. I dont pay for the screening and I am on the clock when I get screened.

If you do drugs and you operate equipment impaired, there should be reprucusions for your actions upto and including discharge.

I dont quite understand the "testcular fortidute to handle things like a man". What does that mean? There should be clear, concise policies and not the mentality of handling it like men. When it comes to drug addiction, I would never take a addicts word, particularly when he/she could cause some serious injuries and damage. Not all addicts are unemployed and "walking the streets" trying to score drugs.

Regards