• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Trojan loader trans trouble

bignorms32

Occupation
Snow pusher
Anyone that could help would be greatly appreciated! I have two loaders. The first problem is i have great power and speed in reverse gear but very little power and speed out of he forward 3 gears. its 1972 1500 series. fluids and filters have been changed. someone said there are a couple different adjustments on the trans? even one on the converter? the other problem i have is with a 1977 1700 series. when should the trans fluid be checked? should it be hot and running? what series oil should it take? Thanks for looking and hopefully solving my problems.:cool2 Norm

BAD5oh

Hopefully it's similar to yours. We had a 72 Trojan 1700 and when we checked the trans it had a little ball valve. We had to check it hot and at an idle. When the valve was opened oil had to come out to determine if it was full. Please note this is how I was told to check it. The procedure did sound a bit weird to me so please don't take this as gospel.

i do remember on that machine if the fluid was low it would barley move and would also slip out of gear when you made a turn. This had a 3 spd F and R trans. We ran Hyken 052 oil in that trans

pinesd3400

Occupation
anything to bay the bills
bignorms I see you are down the road from me Im on #138 no dighton. I think
we should start a Trojan Club. After 10yrs searching, I finnaly got manuals, and
parts book. The book shows a trans dip stick? None on mine? It also states that
the so called drop box takes 90 gear oil. All I have is a spigit on the drop box, fluid
drips out then its full. (I guess) I have been using type F fluid. Mine has three
big plugs on the top of the bell housing thats where I add. Question, I add fluid
at the bell housing how in hell it doesnt come out of the starter????? How does
it get in the converter??? nobody knows. I have no tranny issues but I still would
like to know, and also I can NOT add fluid while running Or I get soaked. I almost
think you dont have enough fluid but how to correctly check it; I dont know.
Id buy a Ford but I cant find one. My Ford 650 backhoe book says check tranny
while warm in neutral > check with dipstick > good to go. Trojan book says, check
fluid and add as nesesary. but where?? Let try keeping this thread going. Sam

bignorms32

Occupation
Snow pusher
Thank you all for your replys! my loader has a dipstick tube that comes from the bottom of the trans and says check cold. when you first pull the stick out its bone dry. by the time you put the stick back in it is running over the top of the tube. dont really make sence to me. but i have had the machine for a few years now and cant seem to add any fluid at the tube any way. and now it sounds like i have some kind of bearing noise at an idle. not to sure what is going on but sure would like to nip this in the bud before i have tranny problems. it does alot of milage in the winters for snow plowing. slow but it gets paid by the hour! the other machine i was looking at to buy is a little differnt trans. 3 speeds instead of two. that machine has all kind of power in reverse but no power in forward. those filters and fluids have been changed. can buy the machine fairly cheap but dont want to shell out more than i pay to have trans fixed. so did not know if anyone knew anything. was told there are adjustments even on the converter. but that is why i am here LOL Thank you to all and hopefully someone can help us all! Thanks

BAD5oh

ok our 1979 2000 had that dipstick tube you are talking about and that was a 2 spd F and 1 R. That one we checked cold and not running. Pulled the dipstick out and it was dry. Put it right back in and it gave a reading. If I remember correctly that one had ATF in it. Again don't take as gospel, just what I remember being in there when we owned it :)

bignorms32

Occupation
Snow pusher
Thanks BAD5. Could you ever tell if it needed fluid or not since it was dry then full? It does look red like it would be ATF

BAD5oh

Yeah. For some reason it was only when you took out the dipstick the first time it was dry. Every other time I put it back in it gave a reading and should tell you if it's low or not

lsadiq

Gents,
just a quick one.
I need the manual books or whatever i can lay my hands on.
I have a 1981 Trojan 2000 loader. I count on you guys.
Thanks

BillG

Hi, Here is where I use to get my Trojan parts from, it has been a few years so take that into account as far as names and area code.

DELUXE MACHINE
8825 ALEXANDER RD.
BATAVIA NY. 14020

716-343-2284

Talk to Bill Shea (if he still owns it) he had a wealth of knowledge as well as new and used parts and manuals. They were just down the road from the old factory and I believe that Bill worked there at one time.

bignorms32

Occupation
Snow pusher
i get my parts from a dealer here in mass. casey and dupre 617 924 7575. they are pretty good at searching parts. maybe they can find you a book

bignorms32

Occupation
Snow pusher
Trojan still running fine and pushed 40 hours worth of snow this year so far and worked in the woods clearing a lot! Hope i dont jinks myself!

chansey

Occupation
Retired Project Engineering Manager
Hi Trojan Loader Fans,

I own a 1989 1500 Z Loaer with a PowerShift 3 speed trans and have a problem similar to the original post ..... Transmission becomes over filled with hydraulic oil.

Aside from the hydraulic pump being driven by the transmission, is there any other any other source that could overfill the transmission?

Previously, I had removed the hydraulic pump and found the input bearing and seal completely toasted. Oil was pouring out. Rebuilt the entire pump. No more leaks from the pump, however the condition still exists ..... trans still overfills and then oil starts pouring out. . I drained the transmission, ran the machine and within a 2 minute run, trans was overflowing.

Any one have a flow shematic for the 3 speed transmission ??

Any suggestions ???????????