• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Trees, Trees, and More Trees

John Griffin

No doubt it has been wet up there. We can’t catch a break on the daily downpours and have other projects lining up.

Bid a Starbucks on Memorial that has 3 small trees on it. If we get it I’ll be in touch.
Yeah it's made trees uproot easier in the storms we have had. I'm getting tired of working in the rain. It's harder to deal with and ropes dont work as well.

I'd be glad to bid on some more tree work for you guys. Maybe we can meet up as well at some point either way.

crane operator

What kinda do you have?
LibertyMats are what mine are. I don't think they would be any stronger than the alturnamats, but they might be. https://store.dicausa.com/products/libertymat-95-x-47-ground-protection-mats

I've got some 8"x8" bolted mats that are 4'x8' long, and used to have some 2"x8" three ply mud mats that were 8'x16'. If its really been that wet, that's usually the only thing that will hold you up. The mud mats rotted to pieces. I've still got the 8x8 ones, but you really need 20' long ones laid in with a forklift or loader to make a floor.

John Griffin

We had to setup mostly in the street downtown the other day to reach three trees between houses in a very tight spot. It was so cramped it was very difficult to use a bucket truck because of trying to swing the boom off to the side would run into the house. It was 90 ft to the farthest tree so we had to load up all the counterweights.

20230825_102215.jpg20230825_095722.jpg20230825_105317.jpg20230825_105501.jpg

John Griffin

That is a neat crane being so compact.
That's a big part of why it works so well for what we do. A lot of times a bigger crane wouldn't fit between houses or around a corner. We quite often setup between two houses and reach into a back yard. It's also nice for stuff like the downtown job where you can get it perpendicular to the street.

John Griffin

We had to set the crane up in a tight spot yesterday. This nice lady has a codominate tree failing at the base. One half was going to fall on her house when it let go. We had to reach over the length of the house and take this oak tree apart in small pieces. We made one pick yesterday at 96 ft working radius. Were down to 3000 lbs net lift capacity at that distance. We limited our picks to an estimated 1000 lbs just to err on the safe side. Our heaviest pick ended up at 1000 lbs. 20230831_142832.jpg20230831_141559.jpg20230831_144006.jpg