• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tree saw

jkiser96

Occupation
Concrete truck driver / business owner
I am looking at getting a tree saw for my skid steer. I hav ebeen looking at the turbo-saw & like how it operates with the rotating head. Anyone have any experience with these style saws. I don't want a shear becuase we have to cut the trees flush at the ground & treat them.

Monte1255

Occupation
Farming/forestry/TSI
There are some tree shears out there that can cut flush to the ground and can leave the stump splinter free, it's just a matter of shopping around. As for the saw I've never seen one used in person but the videos that I have seen leave the stump somewhat rough, either way there is no surface that I have heard of that will inhibit the application of chemicals to prevent regrowth. Would sincerely believe that if the saw works for you then go for it.

jkiser96

Occupation
I am trying to get Bobcat to find one of their saws for me to demo. I spoke with the guy that builds them & he was very informative. Hopefully we have one this week to try out on a job.

jkiser96

Occupation
The only thing about the Bobcat saw that I didn't like wa sthat it had nothing to keep the tree from falling on the machine. If we do get one then we will be building something for this purpose. We had a Marshall saw out there today & I was impressed with how it worked but it is too heavy for my machine.

Monte1255

Occupation
Farming/forestry/TSI
Whatever you decide for a saw, post some pics of the stumps and logs, I'd be interested in seeing the end result. thanks in advance

Randy88

Don't know if it'll help but there are several saws out there that work, one I've demo'd and its the cats a**, made in missouri, the blade rotates so you can cut horizontally as well, cuts at or below ground level and made by Harleman Mfg.417-876-3011. Another was in the farm show magazine a while back, made out west, can't remember the name or find the article but looked like an improved model over harleman's [more user friendly and durable tooth design] with what looked like dura disk stump grinder teeth which would be better than harleman's tooth design but it also swiveled and you could cut horizontally. If you can't find the article maybe I could find something if I dug long enough but it was this year sometime I saw it while thumbing through the magazine.

From what I saw of bobcats last design it was more of a cheaper knockoff and not really durable or something I'd buy but that was a couple of years ago when I was researching them for myself. I ran harlemans saw and it was tough and would take down and cut up some larger trees but I was leary of the tooth design, it looked like a lot of maintance to me but you could shove and pick stuff up and manhandle brush and trees with it nicely. I never bought one because believe it or not I wanted one that would cut larger diameter stuff than what was on the market to help eliminate all the chainsaw work we do but I'm leaning towards something on an excavator like a grapple saw but still haven't found quite what I want yet.

The turbo saw if I recall was a higher speed blade and wasn't very durable and had a poor tooth design............anyhow there are a lot better designs out there if you look, memory isn't working quite like it should this morning but bobcat and turbo saw were eliminated right off the bat when I was doing research, I'd talked to enough unsatisified customers that I hunted elsewhere, sorry to not be any more help than that, I'll try to find the article again on the unit made out west and post the name and number of the manufacturer.

kevink

It does not have anything to keep the tree from falling on you,I built A small triangle that sticks up just a bit works great cheap fix.I also have ran many other saws just like the slow RPMs blade seems to last longer.In addition to that the guy that patented the saw was a huge help he is in the business and would do anything to help a guy out.