• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tree root ripper for PC50 mini?

Journey

Howdy, we have a Komatsu PC50 with hyd. thumb and QC buckets that we use around the property for various tasks. One of the current tasks is removing some smallish stumps from recently cut trees. Some of the stumps can be leveraged out roots and all, but some need the roots severed or weakened before removal. The guy I purchased the rig from recommended a "ripper" attachment for severing the roots before leveraging the stump out of the ground. Sever the roots, dig round the base a bit and then leverage the stump out, grip it in the thumb and put it on the burn pile.

I was wondering if anybody had some pictures of a "ripper" attachment and could better explain their use in this application? Is the ripper pulled through the root via the bucket curl or boom curl? I assume it uses some sort of hardened edge? Is the ripper something that is used in place of the bucket or in conjunction with the bucket?

If I can get an idea of how such an animal would function it is likely that we have the capability to fabricate one in our shop.

Thanks

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Funny I was just looking at a ripper for a KX 41 Kubota. The rippers seem to work best for hard clay, shale and sedimentary rock. For breaking tree roots a narrow 10"-12" toooth bucket. The bucket is better because you can get it under the root and roll it on the heel to get the most breakout force without dragging the machine all over the paddock. JMHO:beatsme

Journey

Thanks guys. So the concept behind a single tooth ripper used for tree root ripping is all that force is on the single point and you drive that point through the root to break it up? Or is it that you take the single point and rake through the root tearing it up from the ground but not necessarily severing it from the stump?

Seems one would want to sever the root not too far from the stump so as to not disturb the surrounding ground too much when you lift the stump out?

Can you use the thumb in conjunction with a single point ripper to grasp the stump and lift it out after you are done severing the roots?

Bob Horrell

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner/Operator grading business
The single tooth pictured is sometimes called a "frost tooth" or "frost pick". They are pretty common. They are used a lot to break frozen ground, but also work well for fracturing rock and roots. I have seen them available for minis as they seem to be used a lot in frozen ground in the eastern U.S. You certainly could make one using a ripper shank from a skiploader gannon. They are about the right size and very common.

jhill

I have a KX-41 and I use Squizzys method. Sometimes you do tear up a bit of ground getting to a point on the root where you can break it.

Jerry

Journey

Journey

I went by this outfit today just for the heck of it (not far from my place), and he said he could make a ripper for a mini. They mentioned they are getting more and more requests for attachments for the minis.

http://www.hpf.com/home.asp

He suggested that if the goal was to sever the roots from the stump and leave them in the ground, something like their splitter rake pictured under thumbs and rakes would work in a mini version. Said you could cut through the root with the saw teeth then use the teeth on the end in conjunction with thumb and lift the stump out. He also mentioned you could saw up the stump into more manageable pieces while it was still in the ground with this kind of attachment. He would make a mini version of this attachment for $1800...

Seems like with smaller stumps (capable of being taken with the smaller machine) you would want to rip the roots and stump out as one unit?

But maybe a better approach would be to use something like this saw toothed splitter rake to section the stump, and pull each piece out (with the roots).:beatsme

smreed

Banned
If you are in the washington area there are lots of places to get rippers for mini excavators Peckweld, PSM, Hpf...
you can also get buckets with rippers under neath them. sometimes called frost buckets

Iron Horse

Send me $900 and you can have this one :D I designed it and had it made to do exactly what you want one for . I wanted it too be able to rip the lateral roots without the curve of the ripper sliding around the slippery root and forcing the crowd ram to make the relief valve open . This is the reason for the inner hook , it catches on the root and breaks it as well as shake and loosen the stump as it does it . Once i have ripped the four ways i hook onto the stump at the top with the inner hook and pull towards me which breaks the tap root as this position gives me the greatest leverage . I then use the outer hook to push it away to complete the task . It is then an easy matter to come over the top and under it and lift it out . It does very little damage to the surrounding soil and does not leave a big hole .

Attachments

• Ripper tyne 001.jpg
    Ripper tyne 001.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 5,267
  • Ripper tyne 004.jpg
    Ripper tyne 004.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 5,253
  • Ripper tyne 005.jpg
    Ripper tyne 005.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 4,973

Bigmuz7

Funny I was just looking at a ripper for a KX 41 Kubota. The rippers seem to work best for hard clay, shale and sedimentary rock. For breaking tree roots a narrow 10"-12" toooth bucket. The bucket is better because you can get it under the root and roll it on the heel to get the most breakout force without dragging the machine all over the paddock. JMHO:beatsme

And thats ok if you know what you are doing :) .. but I have had some peeps wreck the bottom of the dipper arm on some machines doing this as the forces generated are immense

I like that design. Slick.

Here's a pic of mine mine.

And where I got it http://www.mcfaulkner.com/rock-rippers.asp

That looks like a handy piece of kit :thumbsup