• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tree Clearing Day

Dozerboy2

Occupation
Business Owner, Operator, Manager, Mechanic
Yes we let them dry for a month or so, burn them, push them up in windrows and burn them again till they're gone

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums Dozerboy2! :drinkup

tw_692000

Occupation
heavy equipment opperator /assistant foreman
tree removal

nice pics there ever dug around a big tree then build a dirt ramp on one side so you could get a little higher up to push it over? just got to becareful not to let the tree fall over and the stump come up under the dozer to get hung up under you!! works best to get tree started then remove ramp and get under stump again!!!!:)

tw_692000

Occupation
heavy equipment opperator /assistant foreman
You guys got it right off,just thought i might get a few more of the the guys to bite.

The narrow base terraces are about all we build anymore.Squizzy you missed,sorry:D They are sometimes called A frame because of their shape.

We use to build braod based and grass back terraces.They are also build reverse sided terraces.Steep on the front side and farm the down hill sloped off side.

Will install intakes now!!!!!!!:usa

we used this same thing on top of a landfill..... water ran to the tile, dirt holds water back,tile runs through dirt dam then tile runs to bottom of slop controls errosion:)

Wolf

dozerboy2
Dude!
Are you kiling rainforest!
:eek:

Yeah, but they are building some nice stuff in Belize. And he says that with his D8K he can clear 70 acres in a day. That is amazing. No wonder they say that the rain forest is disappearing fast. So fast that the tree huggers don't even know what is hitting them. LOL.

Deas Plant

70 Acres A Day????????????

Hi, Dozerboy2.
Welcome to the forum and thanks for the photos.

70 acres a day? With 2 x D8K's? What length and size of chain are you using?

Back when I was a 'young feller', we used 2 x D8H's and 600 feet of 2 1/2" chain cutting around 400 feet wide and pulling down about 1,200 acres of medium scrub in about a 12-13 hour day. Those days are long gone around here. About the only legal thing you can use a chain for these days is to tie up your dog or tie down a load on a truck - - - - or to anchor a boat.

Another contractor in the South-west of Western Australia in the late 1950's - early '60's was running 2 x D9E's with between 300 and 400 feet of 3" chain pulling heavy timber, often with a chaser dozer, a D7 or D8 fitted with a tree pusher bar to take down any trees that stopped the 2 x D9's and chain. There were plenty that would do that.

Running a chaser dozer for a chain has to one of the rougher jobs in dozer-dom. You're expected to be where the offending tree is even before the chain stops, if possible, which it usually isn't. You're fighting your way through all the trees that the chain has already pulled and often have to cross from one side of the cut to the other just to get to a tree that has stopped the chain. I think they call it hard work.

Last edited:

jughead

Occupation
retired
Dozerboy2 would you happen to know William Kent from Georgia. he is into building a lot of stuff down there.

Chum Duffy

Occupation
Owner of Duffy Inc excavating and trucking co.
Hard learners

Those aren't trees those are little weeds.
Now stick that thing on some nice slimey ground, and push on a 3 foot diameter fir, with nubbins for teeth. That is typical flat land clearing I would like to see some steep slope stuff using that loader. Now remember you can't always get up hill behind the tree, because we have to work in what they call clearing limits, and that means if the tree is right next to the limit on that slope you gotta just live with it, as you are not allowed to encroach upon the sacred ground outside the limits. I would really like to see how you would use a loader like that to accomplish the feat.

Some people are just naturally hard learners!!! If you don't know what you are talking about why not shut up and listen!! Maybe then you would learn something from someone that dose!!! I have a 953, 963, 973, and a 983 and I will move one to where you are and tip over your dozer and take out your tree pile it up to burn all in less than 30 minutes!! For not much more compensation than a just a dare at this point!!!! I will remove standing timber faster than you can with a dozer on any grade, inside any clearing limits, with less damage to the residual stand of timber any time!!!!!!Now how much you want to bet!!!!!..... BTW, Deas Plant is right you know nothing about a tract loader or removing standing timber!! Jim Duffy!!..

jughead

Occupation
retired
Dozerboy2 would you happen to know William Kent from Georgia. he is into building a lot of stuff down there.

my son works for him. think he ran into problems with the gov. he is not there anymore. the one i know owns eagle power mite not be the same guy

Garrie Denny

Occupation
see above
Do yourself and your dozer a big favour,make up a tree spear,you could have gone donw half that depth with one fitted,and easy to remove.

jwest75801

Occupation
Owner operator
I pushed this oak out with my D3C took some work but I got it!

Attachments

• IMG_0961.PNG
    IMG_0961.PNG
    5.5 MB · Views: 47

Steve.ahlgren85

Just thought i would share a few pics of the cottonwood tree that farmer needed removed where he will be farming nextspring

It took me about 30 mintues to remove it,because of it size i decided to proceed with caution:eek:

It was about 50 ft. tall and took awhile to get it pushed to the brush pile that was located down the hill about 900 ft.Took way longer getting the roots and branches that broke off cleaned up and piled.

Farmers don't like to pick up stick no do i,plus i was going to be trenching through where i worked besides.Hope you enjoy since it took me about an hour to size them so i could post on here.:Banghead Have a good day:usa
I know exactly what you mean taking down cottonwood trees, I had three of them that were approximate diameter on tree ridge that I took down. I ended up getting a local guy with an excavator come dig around them for45 minutes each,push them over, then buried them.
I left them till the very end of the project, now they've buried nothing left very good feeling!!

watglen

Occupation
Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
IMG_0781.JPG IMG_0783.JPG Construct'o, couple questions on the berms.

Where do you get the fill. Steal it from downstream, or haul it in?

How do you handle the 1000 year storm? Do you spend a lot of time rebuilding berms? or create spillways?