• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Traverse steering knuckles breaking

tractormech

I have a guy with a 6035 Traverse telehandler and he's broken all four of the steering knuckles off right behind where the tapered tie rod end goes into it. It's basically a "yard dog" and sees very limited use. It is on concrete though. The stops are on all the wheels as well. I could understand if just the front axle was doing it and possibly contribute that to overloading as a possibility but both ends? Anyone seen these Traverses do this? Thoughts and opinions welcomed. Thanks!

Vetech63

Could you post some pics? I have a customer in Arkansas that has ordered multiple steering knuckles for his the last several years but I have never seen a broken one of his. I’ve asked him several times for pics but have never got any.

Txhayseed

Seems to be a common issue. There are plenty of them for sale out there and broken axles or broken axle parts seem to be a common issue and the reason they are getting sold .

tractormech

Could you post some pics? I have a customer in Arkansas that has ordered multiple steering knuckles for his the last several years but I have never seen a broken one of his. I’ve asked him several times for pics but have never got any.
It's a welding shop and they weld them back on when they break. They all break off right behind where the tie rod goes though....beginning to think they just aren't made heavy enough. I'll take pictures when I get by there but they are repaired right now.

tractormech

Seems to be a common issue. There are plenty of them for sale out there and broken axles or broken axle parts seem to be a common issue and the reason they are getting sold .
True. They seem to be a bit of an orphan as far as getting parts and info as well. They aren't very desirable now it seems.

Txhayseed

Way back when on some of the older ingersol rand teles i remember some people where converting the taper fit ball joint style steering rod end to heavy duty heim joints. There is a company that machines a taper lock stud that fits into the knuckle that alows you to install the hiem joint. I dont recall breaking knuckles being the cause for this but supposedly the joints where failing alot. Dont know if that would help out at all. Maybe take some of the direct load off the knuckle and put it to the hiem joint and steer cylinder..

tractormech

Way back when on some of the older ingersol rand teles i remember some people where converting the taper fit ball joint style steering rod end to heavy duty heim joints. There is a company that machines a taper lock stud that fits into the knuckle that alows you to install the hiem joint. I dont recall breaking knuckles being the cause for this but supposedly the joints where failing alot. Dont know if that would help out at all. Maybe take some of the direct load off the knuckle and put it to the hiem joint and steer cylinder..
Right. I'm beginning to wonder if the steering cylinders aren't at the end of their stroke and are pushing so hard on the knuckles they are breaking them. There's something strange going on for sure. I don't see how a Heim joint would work because there's no axial pivot there. As the knuckle goes one way or the other the geometry changes and there's no pivot at the cylinder end. I'd think it would eat the steer packing in short order? I don't know.... If the cylinders are pushing too far I guess you could put a stop in each side and reduce how far the rod goes but then you'd need a forty acre field to turn in.